http://www.bendib.com/newones/2008/may/small/5-4-Blood-vs.-Oil.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 725 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:46 am
Part of the problem, of high gasoline prices, is that SUV's have been such a hot sales item in recent past years. Now the buyers of those gasoline guzzlers are paying for having a car that can literally intimidate other cars on the road.

But, the cartoon is based on a false premise that as the oil prices go up, there are automatically more deaths of soldiers in the Middle East. That's because we try to hold civilian casualties to a minimum. Carpet bombing would cost few American military casualties and many civilian casualties. The cartoon shows, I believe, the ingratitude of the Middle Eastern people for the U.S. not taking the easy way out, and turning Iraq into a moonscape or a parking lot. I say this in context of the name of the newspaper that the cartoon came from, which is in the upper right corner of the cartoon.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:48 am
Foofie wrote:
Part of the problem, of high gasoline prices, is that SUV's have been such a hot sales item in recent past years. Now the buyers of those gasoline guzzlers are paying for having a car that can literally intimidate other cars on the road.

But, the cartoon is based on a false premise that as the oil prices go up, there are automatically more deaths of soldiers in the Middle East. That's because we try to hold civilian casualties to a minimum. Carpet bombing would cost few American military casualties and many civilian casualties. The cartoon shows, I believe, the ingratitude of the Middle Eastern people for the U.S. not taking the easy way out, and turning Iraq into a moonscape or a parking lot. I say this in context of the name of the newspaper that the cartoon came from, which is in the upper right corner of the cartoon.

Yeah, how dare those ingracious Middle Easterners not reward our armed conquer of their sovereign country with cowed submission!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:49 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Yeah, how dare those ingracious Middle Easterners not reward our armed conquer of their sovereign country with cowed submission!

Cycloptichorn

Finally, we agree on something!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 10:52 am
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Sure we do - that your position is ridiculous and you should feel embarrassed for ever having typed it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:12 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Sure we do - that your position is ridiculous and you should feel embarrassed for ever having typed it.

Cycloptichorn

Are you too young to remember the carpet bombing during the Vietnam Conflict? How about the famous lines from Apocalypse Now, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

We have been very tender to the Iraqis. I hope we don't stop. But, this country is not a banana republic with propeller planes from the 1950's.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:18 am
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Are you too young to remember the carpet bombing during the Vietnam Conflict? How about the famous lines from Apocalypse Now, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

We have been very tender to the Iraqis. I hope we don't stop. But, this country is not a banana republic with propeller planes from the 1950's.

I am too young to remember, though I am familiar through study.

I don't know why you think that the Iraqis or anyone else should be grateful for our limited engagement. It's like saying that people should be thankful that you merely kicked the **** out of them instead of killing them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:23 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't know why you think that the Iraqis or anyone else should be grateful for our limited engagement. It's like saying that people should be thankful that you merely kicked the **** out of them instead of killing them.

Cycloptichorn

No. It's like saying the Iraqis should be grateful, a la the Germans, that we saved them from living under a repressive government.

Unfortunately, the Iraqis may not be as advanced as the Germans to know a good thing when it occurs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:24 am
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

No. It's like saying the Iraqis should be grateful, a la the Germans, that we saved them from living under a repressive government.

Unfortunately, the Iraqis may not be as advanced as the Germans to know a good thing when it occurs.

Ah, I see, the stupid Muslims can't figure out that the new, repressive and bloody government is so much better then the old, repressive and bloody government.

Your bigotry is showing, might want to adjust your skirt.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:37 am
No one said anything about the Muslim collective intelligence. I just complimented Germans for their awareness that the allied victory over the Nazis was a blessing.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:12 pm
Quote:
The cartoon shows, I believe, the ingratitude of the Middle Eastern people for the U.S...

http://emperors-clothes.com/antisem/sov16.gif

The cartoon shows, I believe, the ingratitude of European Jewish people for Nazi Germany.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 02:06 pm
Come,come come, calling in moral absolutes and everyday nuissances - how squalid and superstitious. I recall from an english class - to accuse someone of valuing their life was an insult among the Anglo-Saxons or at least idealized so to be in their lit. I'm not saying we should re-institute Germanic values in our society (or at least the fact that I am is immaterial), but the reactionary posturing, platitudes, and moral-high-ground are, in addition to being historically short-sighted, as fresh as a breakfast-burrito from a Shell station...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 08:38 pm
Ohhhh! Cartoons are entertaining. The Japanese have adult reading in Manga style cartoons. I prefer Mad magazine. As a child I liked Donald Duck with Huey, Dewey and Louie. Beetle Bailey is still enjoyable, I think. But the days of Dick Tracey and L'il Abner are gone. Also, the Katzenjammer Kids. Does anyone remember Felix the Cat?

I find political cartoons silly, in that only those that already subscribe to the cartoonists point, find the cartoon of interest. Others often just scratch their heads, wondering what's the point?
0 Replies