Estrada quits.

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:26 pm
Estrada, the twice-nominated judge by the Bush people, has withdrawn his name for consideration. The democrats were accused by the republicans (Orrin Hatch) of using a hispanic card against him - but that didn't wash. What did partly matter was his refusal to release any kind of history record regarding his legal career.

Now, still out are Owen, Pryor, and Pickering. I would guess at least one of them will make the cut.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,015 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:51 pm
Let git 'em.

So long, it's been good to see ya... so long, it's.......

If I had to guess which of the three might make it, it will be Owen, though Texas, which is in foment politically now, may react badly to that and that may be in Rove's mind now...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:51 pm
And where have all these nominees come from? Is there a representation nationally?

Estrada is a blow, because he was the one Bush had picked for the Supreme Court, moving him first to the powerful DC court, then to the Supremes. Let's see what happens with Pryor, who was unintelligent enough to first position himself with Alabama in the matter of the Commandments, and then backtracked.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 03:13 am
I am very much afraid that Mamajuana does not fully understand the problem that has arisen since Bork was "Borked".

Estrada's failed nomination practically guarantees vicious warfare on this subject in the Senate for years to come.

There will be no far right nominations unless, of course, the Republicans get enough Senate seats--a prospect which is not impossible in 2004.

There will be no far left nominations unless, of course, the Democrats hold far more than 49 Seats.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:07 am
trying to think if there ever was a "far left" supreme.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:29 am
Please, Mr. Dyslexia. Read the career of Thurgood Marshall. If he was not far left there is no such thing as far left.

A Source?

The Brethern by Woodward and Armstrong
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:45 am
well actually i dont find that Supreme Thurgood's stance on civil rights to be "radical" or "far left" and since his civil rights positions are his most noted judicial actions, i wonder what one would say about Earl Warren.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:55 am
Please, Dys, don't bring up Earl Warren, you'll make the wingnuts burst a blood vessel in their necks.
Don't you see? Any Justice who wrote decisions bolstering the right of an individual to live free must be a leftie. Yes, please do read the Brethren and then hang your head in shame at having persons like Scalia and Thomas on the Supreme Court of The United States.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 05:04 am
Joe, as i remember it, when moving back to the USA in the 50's America's highways were litered with "Impeach Earl Warren" billboards. At that time my father explained the "John Birch Society" to me. So it seems the neo-cons have given re-birth to the Bircher's, can tail gunner joe mcCarthy be far behind? (never mind i forgot about Ashcroft)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 06:49 am
Aren't justices almost supposed to be somewhere in the middle. Trying to interpret the law and constitution for what it is without allowing personal agenda to complicate things? I do know that two very different rulings can be applied under the same set of circumstnaces, but do we really want extremist judges?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:40 am
No. We don't want extremist judges. Actually, we don't want extremist members of Congress or extremist administrations. But we've been travelling in this direction for a while, picking up speed after the Nixon admin when the Republicans decided to spend the rest of their political careers paying back the Dems (and the entire nation) for throwing a Republican out of office. We saw it in the smug imperialism of the Reagan administration; we see it in the mini-squabble continuing in Texas right now; we see it in the bought recall in California. It's all payback, followed by more resentful whiplash and greater extremism. You know, like eight-year-olds who don't get their way?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 05:20 pm
Top two Estradas whose receding into obscurity has most improved American life:

http://www.mediahorse.com/estradam.jpg http://www.mediahorse.com/estradae.jpg

America has been mercifully spared the destructive influence of another wingnut ideologue. And, as James Carville reminds us, former Texas Governor Bush has not been granted the required consent of the American people to nominate any judge.

Quote:
It's probably a good idea to wait til Bush wins an election before we let him appoint these right-wing judges.

--James Carville, from "Crossfire"
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:50 pm
Very nice, PDiddie!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:49 pm
For the record, Bork supplied Congress with the same papers that they requested of Estrada and were refused.

Woodward, unfortunately, turned into a hack. Maybe he always was one.

Don't get personal, massa, it's a sure indication.

The far left, dys, is one of those terms the not-quite-bright repubs use when words fail them. And some nominees have turned into surprises. When the elder Bush nominated David Souter, he thought he was nominating a conservative. Souter, however, has turned into one of the better Supremes, balanced in his decisions and a disappointment to the rights. Rehnquist was nominated by Nixon, but was not his first choice. He was sort of stand-by, and was never considered top rated.

But Shumer reiterated the role Congress plays in the nominations. They are to Advise and Consent. This WH seems to think that in all matters - from Iraq to judges - it is theirs alone. And it isn't working.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:21 pm
"The far left, dys, is one of those terms the not-quite-bright repubs use when words fail them."

That's nice, Mamaj. I continue to have a visual perception of what they mean when they say "far left." There's a long, long bench. Quite a few people are sitting along it. The people on the left are sitting in the sun, everything is bright and clear. As your eyes move towards the other end, you see that the bench disappears into a dank, drippy cave. That's the "right."
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 03:39 am
I have searched the literature thorougly and can find no indications that Woodward is a "hack".

Instead, Woodward is praised by most reviewers as being an astonishingly good writer.

Alas, Mamajuana is astonishing in her judgements about a man she apparently knows little about.

Woodward may be a "hack" to Mamajuana( who, as far as I am aware, has no expertise to make such judgments, but he is not a hack to the Pulitzer Prize committee who awarded him a Pulitizer in 1973, The Washington Post, one of the country's best papers, who made him Asst. Managing Editor, the New York Times, who in 1992 said: Bob Woodward is the most famous investigative reporter in the United States" or the Pulitzer Committee which indicated that a Pulitzer Prize to be awarded to the team led by Bob Woodward for the Washington Post's stories on 9/11 after the event.

It is not distgressing that Mamajuana denigrates important people like Elaine Chao or Bob Woodward.

What is incomprehensible is that she downgrades them without knowing much about thier backgrounds.

I would respectfully suggest that Mamajuana would do much better if she actually reseached the backgrounds of prominent people before she blithely attacked them.

I am sure she did not know the extensive and high level background of Elaine Chao.

I took pains to inform Mamajuana concerning Elaine Chao.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 03:48 am
Dyslexia has apparently not read Woodward and Armstrong's book on the Supreme Court- "The Brethern"

quote P. 197

"Now, however, as the four Nixon appointees increasingly joined White and occasionally Stewart to chip away at Warren court precedents, Marshall felt the oulook was grim. He seemed to grow weary,more discouraged. "I'm going fishing, you kids can fight the battles" he would tell his clerks. What difference does it make? Why fight when you can just dissent."

Marshall was indeed the left wing dissenter in those days.

He certainly was not a centrist.
0 Replies