"Elitist" Economists?

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 09:30 am
I saw Clinton on a show this weekend. When asked why no economists support her tax holiday plan, she said they were elitists who don't understand the pain the common man is in. Just to review, Clinton and McCain have proposed eliminating the federal gas tax of $0.18/gallon during the summer driving season. McCain says he will pay for it with spending reductions, Clinton with taxes on oil companies. Obama (and all economists) say this is a bad idea and results in insignificant savings. There is no support for this in Congress and the President has denounced it. If the tax is repealed, several commentators feel the refiners will take some for themselves since they have also been hurt by rising prices.

What burns me is the "elitist" comment applied to economists. We tell our children to work hard, get a good education and become experts in their fields, but if they disagree with a politician, they become latte drinking elitists out of touch with the hard working common man. Isn't this just what Bush has done to the scientific community in miniture? Isn't advice from experts required to run a country like the US? I'm sure there are some economists of priviledge out there as well as some who propose solutions based on theories without regard to the impact of their ideas, but Clinton doesn't have any economists who support her proposal, so what's the deal? (I don't know about McCain's beliefs since Clinton has been doing the heavy lifting so far.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 634 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 09:38 am
interesting I think, is the poll released this morning on MSNBC detailing that 45% think the gas tax holiday is a good thing while 49% think it's bad. whatever, I think it's just plain sleazy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 09:39 am
Just smacks of desperation. She has to do extreme stuff to get the extreme result that she wants.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 09:45 am
it's pretty much a no brainer, she won't be president this summer, congress would never ever pass such a bill and Bush would never sign it. She gets to make free policy knowing it could never happen. On the other hand we can always hope the voting public reads this for what it is.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:20 am
Engineer
Engineer, I repeat my response on another of your topics.

I agree with you and Dyslexia. Hillary Clinton's desperation "gas vacation" proposal is about the last straw with me. She has really demeaned herself as far as I'm concerned. It's not only her pandering, it's that the proposal is so stupid. The oil companies would end up with the money by raising their prices and the public would get nothing.

Hillary Clinton for Senate Majority Leader is now my choice for her.

BBB
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:24 am
Unfortunately, her pandering may pay off while Obama's honesty and directness will hurt him.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:28 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Just smacks of desperation. She has to do extreme stuff to get the extreme result that she wants.

Cycloptichorn

Ditto. She will say and do anything to steal this nomination. Remeber, she thinks she is smarter than all of us.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:33 am
Ok, guys! Just be aware:

http://ri-ra.org/Hillary-firebreathing.jpg
http://markmaynard.com/media/users/mark/HillaryScary.jpg

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/images/Hillary%20Clinton.jpg[img]
[img]http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/hillary-clinton.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070706/capt.a0a4755142bd4384b679c9cecf1ed2c5.clinton_2008_cd102.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:04 am
I don't like this gas rebate crap either......but don't most economists disagree with most democratic economic policies?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:05 am
maporsche wrote:
I don't like this gas rebate crap either......but don't most economists disagree with most democratic economic policies?

Um, nope?

The typical Republican policy of cutting taxes while claiming it raises revenue, is, in fact, the policy which is opposed by most economists.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:12 am
Clinton and McCain are trying to win votes with nickle and dime stuff; our economy is straining so badly, it needs more than $600 tax rebates or one-time summer relief from taxes; it's called a) saving homes of millions of families, b) our economy, and c) the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Some dunderheads will fall for these gimmicks, and vote for them in November.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:46 pm
I have gone thru countless elections and many things are said in the heat of the campaign. Hillary once elected might go not thru with it. That is not to say she lied but that wiser heads may counsel her to pass it up.
0 Replies