Just a Heads Up For You Windows Users Doing Manual Updates

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 02:17 pm
Just thought I'd let those still doing manual updates know that Microsoft has issued 3 more critical updates in the last 10 days or so. You might want to head over to the update website and find out if your PC is in need of it too.

These are the specific updates.

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB824105)

Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (823718)

Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (822925)

Edit (Craven): Adding link to run updates: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,433 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Charli

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:32 pm
THANKS, BUTRFLYNET!
Thanks, Butrflynet. There's automatic notification for updates on this computer. However, it's hard to know what is truly necessary. There are two hard drives - 80 Gigs. But the C drive has ONLY 20 G of that and so much of it is taken up with Windows XP, Symantec Virus Scan and Firewall, and other apps. With the continual Virus updates, I hate to add anything that isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary. Some stuff can be downloaded to the D drive, but as you know part of any program has to go to the C. I'll check out your posts tomorrow. I did a copy-and-paste to an email to myself. Thanks a lot! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:39 pm
Just did, but thanks for the update!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:44 pm
FYI, another update was issued today. This one is:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB824146)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:18 pm
RUN THE UPDATE! This is a very serious one and I have already seen 15 exploits today.

I have also had my computer scanned for this exploit several times today.

DO IT!!!!

It's another of the RPC vulnerabilities. If one of you all who got blaster get hit again I will take 5 minutes out of my day to laugh.

Patch y'all!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 06:09 pm
I just downloaded the update as I have both the gallery and home computer on automatic update.
I know Craven isn't that sold on ZoneAlarm but I have the Pro at home and it's been diverting three times as many intrusions. The worst part is all of those E mails are now coming back that were blocked from the worm regenerating through my address books. I didn't get infected but I guess it can still send out messages.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 06:46 pm
running update
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
Cool, that worked. I should act scarey more often (not that this is not a very important patch or nuthin').
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 07:01 am
I get both Critical Update Notifications and Security issues notifications. BUT, with Microsoft no longer officially supporting Windows 98, ya gotta wonder as to how well they are monitoring the implications of all that is happening for that OS.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 02:48 pm
I'm hearing lots of noise about a MS Blast style virus coming out for this new exploit. MAke sure to update, within a week this virus could be released and it can have the same scope as the last one if users do not patch.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 11:09 pm
THANKS, BUTRFLYNET!
Thanks, Butrflynet! All four updates you have suggested are installed!

And, thank you, too, CdK!!! How do I know (from MicroSoft?) what's really, really important as far as updates are concerned - or anything else? I DO believe YOU! That's why the installation as noted above was done. Even 80 G's with a networked additional 7 G's and an Iomega plus CDRW plus floppies are not infinite . . . nor is one's time. There is so much garbage floating around out here in CyberSpace.

Thanks again . . . AND to A2K (read A2K-ers).
[/color] Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:28 pm
I download and install anything MS has labeled as a "Critical Update".
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
I'm hearing rumors this pm of a new virus/worm that is trying to get in via "realplayer." I don't know what that is but evidentally, if you get a message with that moniker, you should beware.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 06:18 pm
FYI, two new critical updates were issued today by Microsoft Windows Update.

October 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB828750)

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB828026)
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 08:18 pm
THANK YOU, BUTRFLYNET!!!
Thank you, Butrflynet! Surely do appreciate your "heads up" on this very important information. Going now to do the updating! Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:23 pm
Four more updates today for Windows XP. (You'd think they'd get it right the first, second or even third time.)

Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB828035)

Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB825119)

Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB823182)

Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB824141)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:25 pm
You are an angel Butrflynet!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:36 pm
Thanks for the heads up!

By ze way, no they won't ever get it right. There's no software without "bugs", certainly not operating systems.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:31 am
Another update came down the pipe this morning. This one is a security update for Internet Explorer 6. So, anyone using the IE browser should do the update no matter which of the Windows operating systems you're using.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB824145)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:40 pm
Another critical patch was released today.
0 Replies