Just a Heads Up For You Windows Users Doing Manual Updates

Charli

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 05:19 am
NEW MS UPDATE . . .
Just came up - the new MS update: KB870669. Affects computers running Windows. Sorry, I'm not sure which version of Windows. The Update will appear on this computer again in less that 30 minutes. Maybe I can insert that info here at that time. Or, go to "Microsoft Support."

Here it is - URL below:
[/color]

Quote:
Critical Update for Microsoft Data Access Components - Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer (KB870669)

Adodb.stream provides a method for reading and writing files on a hard drive.

Quick Info

File Name:

Windows-KB870669-x86-ENU.exe

Download Size:

104 KB

Date Published:

7/2/2004

Version:

Overview
Adodb.stream provides a method for reading and writing files on a hard drive. This by-design functionality is sometimes used by web applications. However, when combined with known security vulnerabilities in Microsoft Internet Explorer, it could allow an internet web site to execute script from the Local Machine Zone (LMZ). This occurs because the ADODB.Stream object allows access to the hard drive when hosted within Internet Explorer.

MICROSOFT Page for KB870669
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:07 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I just downloaded the update as I have both the gallery and home computer on automatic update.
I know Craven isn't that sold on ZoneAlarm but I have the Pro at home and it's been diverting three times as many intrusions. The worst part is all of those E mails are now coming back that were blocked from the worm regenerating through my address books. I didn't get infected but I guess it can still send out messages.

The ZoneAlarm thing need repeating. I went to my mothers house yesterday and thought the PC would be a total wreck. I updated and ran ad-aware and AVG and both came up clean. She refuses to run windows update and clicks on everything. ZoneAlarm claimed 18000+ attacks stopped and 1000 as being critical.

I thought the damn thing would be such a wreck I brought my Windows 2000 install disk and CD burner with me.

ZoneAlarm is free..
0 Replies