what would you drive if the taxpayers paid the bill?

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:58 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 937 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:02 am
the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, is not so caught up in the question of gas mileage. He leases a 2004 Cadillac DeVille for $777.54 a month. The car is 17 feet long with a 300-horsepower engine and seats five comfortably.

"It's one of the bigger Cadillacs," Mr. (Charles) Rangel, of Harlem, said cheerfully this week. "I've got a desk in it. It's like an airplane."

nytimes.com/2008/05/01/nyregion/01cars.html?_r=1&ref=automobiles&oref=slogin
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:03 am
I would drive a motorcycle. The lessons are around $750 here and I don't want to pay that so I'd make the taxpayers pay for my lessons, my bike and my insurance. Yeah. And my leather outfit and my tat.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:08 am
http://www.bizbag.com/Tatoos/eyes%20tatoo%20you.JPG
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:26 am
I would ride everywhere on the backs of naked WWE female wrestler hotties....
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:32 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I would ride everywhere on the backs of naked WWE female wrestler hotties....

Now THAT is a good use of taxpayer money...transportation and entertainment
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:50 am
I have absolutely no issue with this as long as they drive cars that are primarily of North American content.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 11:15 am
.......as long as their sexual relations are primarily of North American content.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:19 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:45 pm
this.

http://www.janeo.com/uploaded_images/IMG_0316-780852.jpg

hands, er, feet down.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:35 pm
Quote:
what would you drive if the taxpayers paid the bill?

Porsche 911 GT3

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/porsche-911-gt3-big-1.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:36 pm
too bad ya dont have good taste huh Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:58 pm
Maybe we should give them all H2's but make them buy their own gas.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:45 pm
I wouldn't drive. I'd take cabs.

And I'd tell my constituents I was putting their money directly into the hands of the working class by doing it. :wink:
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:59 pm
A Ford Ranger, manual transmission, and it would have to be black....that's what I've always driven, and probably always will.....they have a decent fuel rating.

The reps should be held to a standard...something basic, with decent milage.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:24 pm
I'd keep both my own...

One's kinda gas mileage old style cool liberal,

and the other is 7 miles a gallon in yer face fun. :wink:

RH

And buy a house... Shocked
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 10:25 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
A Ford Ranger, manual transmission, and it would have to be black....that's what I've always driven, and probably always will.....they have a decent fuel rating.

The reps should be held to a standard...something basic, with decent mileage.
Believe it or no, the better most modern automatics can sometimes provide equal or better gas mileage with less maintenance costs, over the typical life of the vehicle, as compared to the manual drive train!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 12:20 am
Chumly wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:

The reps should be held to a standard...something basic, with decent mileage.
Believe it or no, the better most modern automatics can sometimes provide equal or better gas mileage with less maintenance costs, over the typical life of the vehicle, as compared to the manual drive train!

I do not refute that fact....but mine {thread title} would be a stick....it's a must...just like the color.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:29 pm
And here is an article in the LA Times from yesterday about exactly this subject...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-na-cars1-2008may01,0,5368045.story

Quote:
A little-noticed amendment to last year's energy bill requires House members who lease vehicles to select those that emit low levels of greenhouse gases.

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Rep. Elton Gallegly of Simi Valley likes his taxpayer-funded Ford Expedition. He isn't worried that it's not the most fuel-efficient car. It's reliable, suits his mountainous district and is cheaper to lease than many other vehicles.

"It's not a Cadillac. It's not a Lincoln. It's a Ford," the Republican congressman said with exasperation.

And anyone that knows the Simi Valley are would agree that he has a point, but...

Quote:
Congress has been bearing down to do more about global warming. But a little-noticed amendment to last year's energy bill has hit especially close to home. It requires House members who lease vehicles through their office budgets to drive cars that emit low levels of greenhouse gases.

Among the victims: Texas Republican Joe L. Barton, who will probably have to give up his Chevy Tahoe, despite his protests that it is made in his district. "I guarantee you my district is not upset that I'm driving a Chevy Tahoe," he said.

The effort to steer lawmakers into vehicles that get better mileage comes as Congress has mandated more fuel-efficient vehicles for the public and pump prices have surged.

Quote:
Rep. John D. Dingell (D-Mich.), the longest-serving House member, drives a Ford Escape Hybrid leased by his campaign but voted against the requirement because "historically, members have been held accountable by their constituents for these types of actions," said his spokeswoman

Quote:
Patrick Creighton, a spokesman for Rep. John E. Peterson (R-Pa.), who leases a flex-fuel Chevy Tahoe, said that the congressman's district is large, with mountainous terrain covered with snow part of the year -- "not the type of terrain a Mini Cooper was built to cover."

A number of lawmakers scoffed at the requirement, saying that forcing them into less-polluting vehicles would do almost nothing to affect climate change, and suggested that Congress could take more significant action to reduce oil imports.

Still other lawmakers objected to being told what to drive.

Rep. John T. Doolittle of Roseville, a conservative Republican, leases a Toyota Highlander Hybrid but believes lawmakers should be allowed to choose their own vehicles.

"I'm very excited about the hybrid technology," said Doolittle, whose family car also is a hybrid. "It would be great if every car were a hybrid. People might think, if they don't have one, well, those are the funny-looking, weak little cars. But a hybrid can give a tremendous power boost to a car."

Rep. Alcee L. Hastings (D-Fla.), who said he chose an Infiniti M45 because it is suited for the high speeds on Interstate 95, which runs through his district, said that safety is his top concern. "If you don't have some giddyup, you're in a lot of trouble," he said.

"I really would prefer to be driving a tank."

Its a 2 page article,and I find it interesting that this subject is being talked about now on A2K.

Coincidence...?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:32 am
I'd drive an MRAP.

http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/archives/The%20Pentagon%20recently%20ordered%2075%20BAE%20Systems%20RG-33L%206x6%20MRAP%20vehicles.jpg
0 Replies