WHAT SHOULD WE DO ABOUT AFGHANISTAN

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 03:36 pm
Bush thinks we are winning, but the facts are nonsupportive. We should very actively think of ways of pulling out.

AFGHANISTAN
Not Winning

In a press conference yesterday, President Bush said, "I think we're making progress in Afghanistan" -- days after President Hamid Karzai was the subject of an attempted assassination plot. The Interior Ministry said the Taliban, nearly vanquished from the country in 2001, admitted to launching the attack. These rounds of violence are the latest in what has been an eroding situation over recent years. The United States is also struggling to gain international support for the efforts in Afghanistan. "Many of them, I think, have a problem with our involvement in Iraq and project that to Afghanistan," Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said in February. While the United States has deployed a "new 2,300-strong reserve force" of Marines to Afghanistan, the country still does not receive the necessary attention. Karzai's escape "should serve as a wakeup call to shift the focus to a new front," Center for American Progress (CAP) Senior Fellow Brian Katulis wrote yesterday. CAP has recommended a multi-pronged approach to Afghanistan, including building the governnment, increasing security, jumpstarting reconstruction, reducing opium production, and removing terrorist sanctuaries through redeployment of troops.

WORSE IN 2008?: 2007 was the bloodiest year in Afghanistan since 2001, with 6,000 killed in the country. Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Schloesser, who commands U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said violence in 2008 "may well reach a higher level than it did in 2007," as insurgents pour in from Pakistan. "This year won't be different," he said. The attempted assassination of Karzai "came as the latest sign of a trend" that the insurgency in Afghanistan "is spreading from the Taliban stronghold of the south to the central and northern regions of the country," Christian Science Monitor reported this week. Furthemore, "[t]here is no security force in Afghanistan that people trust," according to member of parliament Ramazan Bashardost. He added that, after a recent attack, "the security forces fled the area before the ordinary people did." Afghanistan also has rates of illiteracy "among the highest in the world," a "weak and corruption-ridden government," and still retains the world's largest opium poppy crop.

BUSH CLAIMS WE'RE WINNING: Nevertheless, Bush remains blindly optimistic. "Do you think we're winning?" in Afghanistan, a reporter asked yesterday. "I do, I think we're making good progress. I do, yes," Bush said. But his leadership in Afghanistan has been anything but successful. The White House even "acknowledged that its strategic goals are unmet in Afghanistan in its own assessment late last year, but it has not yet implemented any major policy shifts on the Afghanistan front," Katulis noted. For example, according the Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief, "Western countries have failed to deliver $10 billion of nonmilitary assistance pledged to Afghanistan over the last six years and the United States, by far the biggest donor, is responsible for half of the shortfall." Funding for Provincial Reconstruction Teams, which Bush "has called the leading edge of stabilization efforts," is "ad hoc and comes from so many sources that congressional investigators were unable to determine how much has been spent," a House Armed Service Committee report said last week. "[M]ilitary force, while necessary, is not sufficient to defeat militants in Afghanistan," Lawrence Korb and Caroline Wadhams of CAP wrote in January. Karzai has also criticized Bush's military-centric approach, which has caused heavy civilian casualties. "I am not happy with civilian casualties coming down; I want an end to civilian casualties," he said last weekend. "Overall, 42 percent of Afghans rate U.S. efforts in Afghanistan positively," down from 68 percent in 2005 and 57 percent last year, according to a December ABC News poll.

QUESTIONS FOR PETRAEUS: Bush recently tapped Iraq commander Gen. David Petraeus to lead U.S. Central Command, replacing Adm. William Fallon, whose premature departure in part stemmed from policy disagreements with the Bush administration. Appearing on PBS's NewsHour in January, Fallon pointed to the Iraq war as an explanation for the deterioration in Afghanistan. "[M]y sense of looking back is that we moved focus to Iraq, which was the priority from 2003 on, and the attention and the resources focused on a different place," he said. Petraeus is strongly associated with the current Iraq policy, which has drained spending and troop deployments away from Afghanistan. He now carries the responsibility of assessing priorities in Afghanistan as well as the entire Middle East. "Confirmation hearings for General Petraeus later this year offer an important opportunity for Congress to raise questions about how America can strike the right balance and match its considerable yet strained resources to the numerous threats it faces in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq," Katulis notes. "It's time to separate out these two wars, or else we may lose both," Korb and Wadhams add.

--americanprogressaction.org
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 702 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:35 pm
When I was there we started to lose the south when NATO took over in Kandahar. I don't know why but we were doing a really good job and the death toll wasn't all that high. A month after we took over the other militaries started getting their asses handed to them. We should have left the US military down there and given NATO the north or west were they couldn't screw anything up.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:14 pm
If GWB had stayed in Afghanistan and not ventured into Iraq, he would be a hero now and I could not say anything bad about him. He should pull out of Iraq and fight the Taliban/Al Queda in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:19 pm
B Raman a conservative from Chennai( madras) not a communist from Chennai like my poor self has this view.

"The latest assassination attempt on Hamid Karzai brings to the fore the question of possible complicity of security forces of Afghanistan, as in the case of Iraq.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20080429&fname=karzai&sid=1
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 07:36 am
The question is whether it's like a Hollywood western set, where behind many facades there's nothing. I mean like there's a government, yet the tribal areas operate in their own manner. That's a government? Possibly, there should be a few "stans" made out of it. One of them could be called Hardy and Laurelstan.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 07:45 am
talk72000 wrote:
If GWB had stayed in Afghanistan and not ventured into Iraq, he would be a hero now and I could not say anything bad about him. He should pull out of Iraq and fight the Taliban/Al Queda in Afghanistan.

Pretty much....and Taliban is gaining ground in both Afghanistan and Pakistan...meanwhile a war with Iran is being trumped up. The Pentagon says Iran is supplying arms to Taliban in Afghanistan.

I don't trust Iran but I don't trust this Admin., especially militarily.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 08:21 am
Brand X wrote:
talk72000 wrote:

Pretty much....and Taliban is gaining ground in both Afghanistan and Pakistan...meanwhile a war with Iran is being trumped up. The Pentagon says Iran is supplying arms to Taliban in Afghanistan.

Blaming a specific administration is specious, in my opinion. This country, for as long as it is able, is the driver of history. The problem with Iran, in my opinion, is they hear a past drummer, so to speak. Sorry, we all have to hear the same drummer, in this nuclear age.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 12:33 pm
Foofie wrote:
Brand X wrote:
talk72000 wrote:

Blaming a specific administration is specious, in my opinion. This country, for as long as it is able, is the driver of history. The problem with Iran, in my opinion, is they hear a past drummer, so to speak. Sorry, we all have to hear the same drummer, in this nuclear age.

Welp, this specific Admin is the one that went into Iraq which left less resources for the other theater. Specious my ass.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 03:16 pm
I think that enough is enough. I guess a case could be made to fight the Taliban at the beginning because they sheltered and supported al-Qaida. But al-Qaida is no longer there, but is in Pakistan and Iraq.

We should remember that the Taliban are Afghans, and the country belongs to them. I agree that they had a horrible regime, but they are probably not the same organization. I think we should sit down with them and negotiate our withdrawal.

A lot is said about Iran supplying arms. Remember that we supplied arms to one side or another in many conflicts not directly involving us. In Nam, arms were supplied by the USSR and China, but we didn't attack those countries for doing this. I hear Hayden and others in the administration hinting that an attack on Iran is in the offing. This could be a monumental mistake.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:26 pm
I think we may be reaching a point where we have two choices... isolationism.... and let the ass holes kill themselves... or nuke the bunch.

I don't like either scenario.... but this is where bush has brought us IMO.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:32 pm
my view is this.
USA has no business to command, demand, oppresss, suppress, humiliate, torture,
butcher, rape
any poor country
Better bring back NO(New Orl) citizens who had exposed USA's helplessness.
Rama fuchs
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:21 pm
Or
Dare to destroy iran.

"Norman Podhoretz, an impassioned cheerleader for war with Iran, reached heights of apocalyptic sang-froid scaled only by the criminally insane when he predicted the following scenario, in the event of a US attack on Iran: “It [Iran] would attack Israel with missiles armed with non-nuclear warheads but possibly containing biological or chemical weapons. There would be a vast increase in the price of oil, with catastrophic consequences for every economy in the world, very much including our own. The worldwide outcry against the inevitable civilian casualties would make the anti-Americanism of today look like a love-fest.”

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/05/who-gets-totally-obliterated-us-or-them/
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:30 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Or
Dare to destroy iran.

"Norman Podhoretz, an impassioned cheerleader for war with Iran, reached heights of apocalyptic sang-froid scaled only by the criminally insane when he predicted the following scenario, in the event of a US attack on Iran: “It [Iran] would attack Israel with missiles armed with non-nuclear warheads but possibly containing biological or chemical weapons. There would be a vast increase in the price of oil, with catastrophic consequences for every economy in the world, very much including our own. The worldwide outcry against the inevitable civilian casualties would make the anti-Americanism of today look like a love-fest.”

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/05/who-gets-totally-obliterated-us-or-them/

Whose civilians are casualties?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:43 pm
Not buddists in Sri Lanka
not Chrisitins, mulims, Sikhs, in India.
Not the crusade between Catholics and protestants in N Ireland.
Not the inhuman Hitlerlism in ME.

Prejudice is silly
There are so many perfectly good reasons to HATE people on an INDIVIDUAL basis.
0 Replies