What to do next

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:48 am
Hello. Fall is here. During academic 2002-03, I signed on to substitute teach in Arlington, Lexington and Winchester. With my job at WilliamsSonoma, I earned $10,000.
I thought substitute teaching -- five days per week at $60 to $75 -- had more potential than the Montessori School job -- 2 and 1/2 hours per day at $12 per hour -- I had during academic 2001-02.
Prior to that, I worked as a temp; as a shelver in the public library and at WilliamsSonoma.
My 18 y/o will go to college in a year which probably will mean an end to child support, which pays the mortgage.

Frankly, I do not want to return to substituting although I loved the work because I hated the job. I hated being at sea. I hated not having a real position. I hated being called at 6 am.

Originally, when I finished my master's more than five years ago, I had hoped to go into publishing. Publishing does not want people who are beyond 22 or 23.

People talk about networking but most of the people I know are other unemployed women. Does networking mean using one of those paid breakfast meeting things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,166 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 06:52 pm
Well, my dear Susan. I finally figured out who you are! I'm a little slow, you know. I don't know much about publishing, so I can't really help. I can listen, though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 07:07 pm
Hiya Susan - have you considered FULL time teaching?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:46 am
Hi, Swimpy,
Went incognito here on a2k after abuzz became so unpleasant with people assuming other identities and cutting and pasting.

Littlek,
I took the state teacher's licensure test last summer and scored well on the first part. I thought I would sub every day and would take my area tests one after the other (they run about $100) but I was not able to earn enough money to take the other tests.

I signed on to the Dept of Educ website and they lost my resume. I wrote to every high school I was willing to commute to just before Christmas, asking if any vacancies were coming up. I had an interview at the Newman School, a private Catholic prep, in the Back Bay . . . which meant using the commuter rail (yeah!!!!! No Driving!!!!). It was for a history post. When the ass't head asked about homework, I said that history isn't a skill like math or a language that needs daily practice and that I would not assign daily homework. She didn't like that.

I also had an interview in .... forgot the name of the town ... to teach middle school English. They said they would interview all week. I chose the Monday slot. On Tuesday, they called to say they were putting the shop teacher in the English post! As if I am less qualified!!

Became disheartened!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 06:01 pm
I hear you about substitute teaching. I did it for a semester and hated it. But I know many peopel who do like it. It's especially good if you can become a regular because then the kids know you and the rest of teh teaching staff does too. You become less of a babysitter that way. Subs are also usually first in line if a vacancy opens. I encourage you to stick with it, at least in the short term. You might also look into government work. They are less likely to discriminate based on age, sex, etc.
0 Replies