Proposal to restore ban prohibiting prescription drug TV ads

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:39 am
Advertising is he reason we have an overly consumtive society.

Advertising tell us all the reasons why we should have things. Advertising fulfills our wants and subsumes our needs.

Advertising removes the competetive edge of local small scale manufacturers.

Advertising results in increased food consumption and increased transport carbon emissions therby contributing to global poverty and global warming.

Ban all advertising.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:50 am
dadpad- Ban ALL advertising???? Do you use the internet to purchase items? Can you imagine what would happen if no one could advertise? No advertisements, no internet.

Do you watch TV? Do you think that shows could be produced without advertisers to back them? No advertisements, no free TV. Simple as that. I could go on with many other examples, but I think that you get my drift!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 08:58 am
Quote:
Do you use the internet to purchase items?

Never.

I could get by with no TV or internet.

I do get your point though Phoenix
The hole in the economy would be major league stuff. Bigger than enron bigger than sub prime.

The effect of banning advertising is one that I believe I could live with.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:04 am
Hmmmm.....

I'm still not convinced that I'm wrong.

If we're to say that advertising is a legitimate business practice by pharmacutical companies can't rejecting the ads be a legitimate business practice for say... Westinghouse? (I'm sure it would be a bad financial decision but anyway....)

I think networks are compelled to run more ads (political ads, public service announcements) than they are prevented from running ads.

Advertisers themselves contribute to censorship -- by not advertising on shows that have a "message" they don't agree with.

The public contributes as well - by boycotting the products of advertisers who advertise on shows with "messages" they find "unwholesome" or by boycotting shows that provide advertising time to products they find unwholesome.

Suppose the makers of "Plan B" birth control wanted to advertise. Who would be responsible for rejecting the ad? Pharma companies can advertise so my guess is that it would be everyone but the government preventing them from doing so.

I'm still not getting that this is any kind of a free speech issue that the government is trampling on.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:45 am
Re: Proposal to restore ban prohibiting prescription drug TV
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I am proposing that when we have a Democratic president in the White House,
a top priority should be to retore the historic ban prohibiting prescription drug advertising on TV.

Great idea, but why wait 8+ years?

Why not push the Republicans to do the same starting in '08 Cool
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:48 am
It's also time we restored the historic ban on Ward and June Cleaver sleeping in a double bed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 11:39 am
dyslexia wrote:
It's also time we restored the historic ban on Ward and June Cleaver sleeping in a double bed.

Now that's the best thing that you have said in many moons. :wink:
0 Replies