Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:30 am
Me too, linkat! Just like WW II, as the saying goes, ... it's been in all the papers! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:34 am
Dried beans + brown rice = complete protein

Canned tuna fish

Go to the dry goods bin area at a whole foods type store.....

Dried taboule (sp?) mix...just add water and a little oil...diced tomatoes in it is great.

Dried humus to put on vegetables as a dip
Dried black bean soup - best thing in the world with a little chopped onion garnish

good old pasta and spaghetti sauce

sardines

makerel...mix canned makerel with bread crumbs, egg, some seasoning and make makerel cakes.

there are many foods out there that we don't eat anymore because they are not in fashion, but are nutrious, and taste just fine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:37 am
Chai wrote:
Dried beans + brown rice = complete protein

Canned tuna fish

Go to the dry goods bin area at a whole foods type store.....

Dried taboule (sp?) mix...just add water and a little oil...diced tomatoes in it is great.

Dried humus to put on vegetables as a dip
Dried black bean soup - best thing in the world with a little chopped onion garnish

good old pasta and spaghetti sauce

sardines

makerel...mix canned makerel with bread crumbs, egg, some seasoning and make makerel cakes.

there are many foods out there that we don't eat anymore because they are not in fashion, but are nutrious, and taste just fine.

Yeah like Tang.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Actually, I haven't noticed the big change either.

I don't buy a lot of frou frou foods, and if the price goes up on bananas and onion, basic cereal like the store brand of grape nuts, they're still worth it.

I have noticed eggs have gone up in price.

Seriously...what are some of the items you are buying that is going up in price so much? What did it cost a couple of months ago, and what does it coust now?

I'm curious.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:46 am
If you think it's bad now, just wait until Obamaclinton gets into office....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:51 am
oh, regarding the rice shortage?

The only place I've heard about that was on a story on NPR.

The one about Sams Club limiting it's sale of rice to 2 or 3 bags.

From my understanding, the price hasn't gone up much, but Sams does not make it's money off of the sales of profits, it makes it's profit off of membership fees. So, if they raise a price, customers will complain and not renew their members, so instead place a limit on a product.

Sounds like a manufactured shortage to me. If you put a limit on something, people will buy that limit.....sheep.

Back in the 70's when there was a supposed gas shortage? Didn't effect me that I could remember.

You could only buy gas on odd or even numbered days depending on your license plate....but what the hell difference did that make? If I was buying gas once a week, I still had to buy gas once a week. I didn't know anyone who really needed to fill up on a more frequent basis, but the long lines where there every damn day. I guess people where topping off every other day, which was moronic IMO.

Why did they do this? Because they had been "told" they were only "allowed" to buy gas every other day.

I'm more concerned about people in countries where they have to spend more than 50% of their income just to feed themselves, because they make so little.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:52 am
World Food Price Crisis

Surging Costs of Groceries Hit Home

Quote:

Surging costs of groceries hit home
Bread, eggs, milk prices up sharply
By Robert Gavin
Globe Staff / March 9, 2008
American families, already pinched by soaring energy costs, are taking another big hit to household budgets as food prices increase at the fastest rate since 1990.

After nearly two decades of low food inflation, prices for staples such as bread, milk, eggs, and flour are rising sharply, surging in the past year at double-digit rates, according to the Labor Department. Milk prices, for example, increased 26 percent over the year. Egg prices jumped 40 percent.

Escalating food costs could present a greater problem than soaring oil prices for the national economy because the average household spends three times as much for food as for gasoline. Food accounts for about 13 percent of household spending compared with about 4 percent for gas.

Rising food prices can be particularly corrosive to consumer confidence because people are so frequently exposed to the cost increases. "It's the biggest risk we face economically, and it might be the thing that does us in," said Rich Yamarone, director of economic research at Argus Research Corp. in New York. "There's nothing really worse than having a job, making money, and forking most of it over just so you can have the same amount of food. You're running in place, and it really weighs on you."

As with energy, higher food costs cut into discretionary income that buys everything from cars to computers to movie tickets and drives the consumer-based US economy. Falling home values and a faltering stock market have battered consumer confidence, spurring a retrenchment in spending that is contributing to recent job losses and pulling the economy toward recession.

Many analysts expect consumers to keep paying more for food. Wholesale food prices, an indicator of where supermarket prices are headed, rose last month at the fastest rate since 2003, with egg prices jumping 60 percent from a year ago, pasta products 30 percent, and fruits and vegetables 20 percent, according to the Labor Department.

"No retailer can absorb cost increases indefinitely," said Laura Sen, president of BJ's Wholesale Club, the Natick chain of discount warehouse stores. "Given what we are seeing, all retail channels need to raise prices, and from our observations, are doing so."

Amy Brnger, 43, of Portsmouth, N.H., just needs to look at her grocery receipts. For a long time, feeding her family of three used to cost around $125 a week. Suddenly this winter, her bill leaped to about $200.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:54 am
I don't buy much in the way of processed food - normally the basics.

I buy lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, cheese, bread, OJ, Apple Juice, cranberry juice, cereal, spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, rice, tofu (love it), beans, ice cream. Those are my regular type purchases - meats we get at a butcher shop usually unless they are on sale. I notice that my weekly bill has increased quite a bit. I usually have one week where I need to get lots of stuff and bill would be about $80 and then the alternate week would be less about $50 - $60. Now it is a high of $100 and low of $80.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
I bought a bag of regular old cheap rice at Costco the other day. They had the rationing signs up. As I checked out, the cashier says "Rice, hmm, you can buy up to 6 (25lb) bags."

Some shortage. Of course they do look at past purchases and we buy about 100lbs a year.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
Twinkies and Spam...that should get you through. Sardines for special occasions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:57 am
I have. My diet is mostly soups made with a lot of veggies and a little bit of meat or fish, and various pasta dishes. Veggies, or some veggies, have ratcheted up in price since I've been cooking in that direction. But maybe that's because I don't live in California any more.

Dairy, oy, because I love good cheese and like milk. Eggs too, but I haven't noticed them going up so much.

My big luxury item is marinated olives from Smith's olive bar..

Anyway, yes to dried beans, as long as they are not way too dried (old).

I also used canned sardines/spicy fish steak in the occasional soup or pasta. Put anchovies in my clam sauce. But not everybody likes these things..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:59 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Twinkies and Spam...that should get you through. Sardines for special occasions.
and a few cases of tinned smoked oysters along with lots of velveeta.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm
mmmm.....melted velveeta over smoked oysters.

save some for me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm
What's going up in price fast enough to make it worth stocking up on?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Chai wrote:
mmmm.....melted velveeta over smoked oysters.

save some for me.
Indeed, they don't call m a gourmand for nothing, in fact, they don't call me a gourmand at all.
0 Replies

Francis

Are you luring me?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:08 pm
Francis wrote:
Are you luring me?
Of course, I have only cave aged Velveeta in my home.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:10 pm
Eggs have gone up because rice was getting so high, people started throwing them at weddings.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm
top it off with crumbled ritz crackers and what you got yourself there is a damn meal.

top that off with some moo juice and ya'll be farting through silk sheets tonight.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm
Remember....

we do not have TV. Not even local tv..
I dont read the papers, and if I feel like it, I will look up news online
but for the most part, I am clueless about most of the goings-on out there.

I do not think I have picked up a newspaper in about 3 years if not longer..

so most basic news headlines?
Pbbthh.. Im oblivious. Deliberately.

Food prices changing.. I may have heard something before about it.. but it does not seem like a familiar topic in the least.

My last grocery bill was 27.80
3 days worth of food ( AND snacks!! ) for me and Bean. ( Ian is gone for 5 days..)
So it was cheaper then our usual 35 to 45 dollars for 4 days.

Our diet is rather limited as it is. We buy a certain few veggies.. mostly frozen because it is a hell of a lot cheaper, and sweet fruits I do sometimes purchase in a can.. but rinse them with in an inch of their lives.

I make our breads.
I combine several different types of oats for breakfast cereal
Eggs are more for cooking then eating, so they last longer .. though I have seen a 30 cent rise in the cost .
1lb of ground beef can go into 3 meals at least.. so I dont need to stock up on that..

maybe I just need to look around the store more ..

or it could be just certain BRANDS that are going up?? Or areas?

eh. (shrug)
0 Replies