Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:33 am
stockpiling food... prices are going to rise dramatically. I am going to gather info on what food will keep indefinitely and will supply protein and other needed nutrients.

What are your expert suggestons for the best foods to stockpile A2K ers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,335 • Replies: 63
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:35 am
Poptarts.

Whole grain poptarts and nuttella.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:37 am
You'd better move quickly, many stores are already limiting purchases, especially of rice and flour.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:39 am
Sam's baby... I'm starting this week... I'm not saying I'm an alarmist who thinks we'll be starving in the street... but I think food prices are going to become problematic... I may go back to being mostly a vegetarian after these couple of months off...cheaper...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:45 am
I have always shopped at Publix, which is a great store, but not the cheapest. I have discovered that Costco has just as good meat as Publix, and is much cheaper, although you have to buy larger cuts of meat. I just buy a big piece of something that I want, cut it into portions, and put it in the freezer. Costco's fruit is good too. The fruit is not as good at Sam's Club.

I even found buying myself a few food items at Wal-Mart, when I just went there for some fertilizer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I even found buying myself a few food items at Wal-Mart, when I just went there for some fertilizer.

Go to the Politics forum and look for threads by gun-nuts . . . you'll find more fertilizer than you can ever use, and it will be free. It will be the bullshit variety of fertilizer.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:52 am
no shortage of fertilizer on ANY of the politics threads Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Go to the Politics forum and look for threads by gun-nuts . . . you'll find more fertilizer than you can ever use, and it will be free. It will be the bullshit variety of fertilizer.

If I could find a way to package and market some of the bullshit that is thrown around on A2K, I would make a fortune! Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:11 am
Picked up some extra stuff at WalMart last night. Name brand canned veggies at .78 instead of .89 at Food Lion. Sam's Choice was .68, but I like my Del Monte.

Poor Cub... No clue what food prices are. He kept saying "Mom, I bet this is like $100 worth of food."

"Uh, yeah. That's nothing. $100 won't feed you for a week."

I just love the reality checks on kids.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:19 am
You could buy lots of twinkees - they last forever.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:33 am
Nuts are high in protein and store for a long time. Maybe powdered milk or that kind in the packaging that doesn't need to be refrigerated. Rice -- but I think even the big box stores are limiting it to two sacks per purchase -- and flour. Peanut butter (assuming no allergies), you can buy a ton of sliced bread and put it in the freezer. Do you have a good sized freezer?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:38 am
Linkat wrote:

pass Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:45 am
Linkat wrote:

I love it. I wonder if Sealpoet's mother in law is still stocked up.

Looks like I've already missed the big move in stockpiling. Just like I missed out in preparing for y2k.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:53 am
the food thing I think has a little more traction....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:57 am
I'd also venture to guess that spam will keep its shelf life for several years without harming its wonderful flavor.
0 Replies

Ragman

I agree with all your comments about BS...plenty of a supply of it in Politricks on A2K.

Of course, if you flip on TV and listen to 5 minutes of the Presidential campaign, you'll get bombarded there even worse. I wish I could force myself to NOT listen to that crap as it's like watching a slo-mo car wreck. You know full well ahead of time the result is going be a car wreck. You just pray it's not a killer variety. I tell myself that nothing could be worse than the last 8 years have been for this country, but this impending car wreck seems to be the maiming type.

Got your accident insurance all paid up? 'Cause in this wreck we're the victims. These politricksters, after this is all over with, will still be millionaires.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

food prices

going up

what the hell have i missed?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:06 am
umm..shewolf. Yes going up..for around the last 3 months. The cost of gasoline has been spiking for awhile and as a result it affected some prices. There's a shortage of rice and flour (large qty of 20-30 lbs bags). Do you do your own shopping? I'd say a cart full of groceries of what had cost $50 around 3 months ago, is now about $60 ...maybe more. Rice and flour spiked maybe 50-100%
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:11 am
I have noticed the gas price.. Wink

But not really the food price.

But we shop, quite literally for only 2 or 3 days at a time. Nothing more.
We have a store that you can buy most of your cooking items in bulk, and i can buy only the 2 or 3 cups of flour that I need, or rice, or beans etc..

Prepackaged foods, beyond soy milk, coffee creamer, and frozen veggies we dont use.. so I dont see a difference there..

but problems with rice? flour?

OOohh.... not good.

I have yet to see this.. for some reason..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:19 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I have noticed the gas price.. Wink

But not really the food price.

But we shop, quite literally for only 2 or 3 days at a time. Nothing more.
We have a store that you can buy most of your cooking items in bulk, and i can buy only the 2 or 3 cups of flour that I need, or rice, or beans etc..

Prepackaged foods, beyond soy milk, coffee creamer, and frozen veggies we dont use.. so I dont see a difference there..

but problems with rice? flour?

OOohh.... not good.

I have yet to see this.. for some reason..

I honestly thought you were joking or being sarcastic.
0 Replies