Insurance Licensing

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:03 pm
Hi all --- Miss me? Wink

Seriously though. I have had a lot of changes recently and have questions that I just haven't gotten the time to search for answers on and would like some personal experience and input if anyone has some they would like to share with me.

I have the opportunity to do Insurance Sales. I know - kind of funny but, still there are some interesting items that go along with it.

If I get my license in Massachusetts the company will get me licensed in all other states. Is this a good thing you think? I'm thinking yes.

What is the typical cost and involvement of getting licensed? Any on going costs?

I won't be meeting people, etc just getting leads sent to me. This would be in addition to all else I am doing so, it wouldn't be the only thing to rely on BTW. It would be Health, Dental, Life (term and whole) and AD&D.

Any other info you could pass along would be great and thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 921 • Replies: 14
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:21 pm
Missed ya.

I can't see any downside to being licensed in all states, unless the costs are extravagent, or it involves lots of extra study. Health and dental insurance is almost priceless.

So, I didn't answer the question, but am glad to see you back.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:24 pm
Hi ya roger - nice to see you.

Yeah, I'm thinking that if I spend the time and $ on MA and they'll go ahead and get me licensed in all other states - it can't be bad - right?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:41 pm
Hi Quinn!!!

Can't help you, but it's great to see you back here.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:44 pm
what 'k said!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:55 pm
Missed you, Quinn.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:59 pm
There are a couple of different types of insurance licenses in my state. (AZ) I have a resident Property and Casualty License in AZ with a multitude of non resident licenses in other states. This gives me the ability to sell and discuss a variety of insurance related items with customers which includes homeowners, workman's comp, auto, and commercial policies. There is another license which can be obtained that is strictly focused on auto insurance (personal lines) but does not allow the insurance professional to obtain non-resident licenses in some states. Many companies will offer a training class (can last anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks) to help you prepare for the exams. Typically the insurance company you work for will be responsible for the fees if you are designated as an 'agent'. If you are designated as a 'broker' you are not held to one company as their agent and typically will end up paying the fees yourself.

The exam for the property and casualty exam was quite difficult and will require ample time to study. The personal lines exam was easier since it focused on auto insurance only but is still difficult for some.

In order to maintain my non resident license, once every four years I must complete a minimum of 20 hours continuing education. The cost can rack up quite quickly as there are renewal fees not just for one state but every state one has licenses in but if you are an aggressive sales person you'll more than make up for it in the long run.

Ten years ago I knew nothing about insurance and wasn't even sure I would understand it all. Not a day goes by in my work I don't learn something new and I throughly enjoy the people I work with. Smile

Hope this helps a little! Good luck to ya in whatever you decide
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:13 pm
k, Region, Noddy - NICE TO SEE YOU ALL!! Smile see my post on work at home no life Smile

MBC - thanks - interesting stuff.

I'm not sure if I would be an agent or a broker. I'm guessing an agent. What's the difference?
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:34 pm
quinn1 wrote:

I'm not sure if I would be an agent or a broker. I'm guessing an agent. What's the difference?

Agent - They only sell insurance for the company they are an agent for. If they change employment they must transfer their agent status to the new compnay. The company they work for is the 'owner' of the policies the agent sells.

Broker - is like someone who is an independent sales person. They earn commision based off their sales and can sell insurance for almost any insurance company if that company allows their product to be sold through brokers. Essentially the broker 'owns' their customer policies and with the customer's permission can move the business from one insurance company to another for the customer's benefit.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:55 pm
Ah, you working for NASE, or something similar? Focusing on self-employed & small businesses? I had one of those plans, and I know someone that took on one of those jobs last year. Haven't spoke to him recently, no clue how he's doing.

Well if you end up getting a MA resident limited lines producer's insurance license(if I said that right), let me know how the hell you studied for it. I'm supposed to have that license for my job, and can't find anything on how to prep....so I'm just not licensed. And really could care less whether or not I get it, but in case my company puts any pressure on me.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:04 pm
http://www.testeachersonline.com

Looks like they offer licensing courses in MA. I'm sure there are a ton of others out there...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:58 am
MBC - thanks - I will have to get more info from the gals to see if it's broker or agent then. Hard to guess at this point.

I may have to wait until it's a bit more stable with this and then do that. Seems like it's quite a bit of work. I'm working pretty crazy now. LOL.

Slappy - no, not like that. But, I did get my SE Insurance for Health, etc with a NASE agent Smile

Great link BTW -- Slappy go check that out - not sure if it helps but, it is interesting.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:57 am
The girls are saying it's agent.

Check with Dept of Insurance
http://www.nipr.com/

A lot of them did it on line:
http://www.license2go.com/license2go/login_company_info.jsp

They also shared some info for continuing ed info:
http://www.webce.com/

Now - to get the time to go check all of that!! LOL
0 Replies