Name This Thread

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
The last few months have been interesting for Mr. Fix-it and me. I finally feel calm enough to talk about it -- not to bore you to tears but just so you know where I'm coming from these days.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,156 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:23 pm
I've had a pretty predictable life for many years. Mr. Fix-it is in a skilled trade and makes a reasonable living while working crappy shifts. I was a stay at home Mom by choice and inclination. (I provided the stability around here -- ha!) A lot has changed.

I guess it all started last spring when the cat died. And then my sons left home. It sure was quiet around here but Mr. Fix-it and I had the fun of planning our long-anticipated-and-saved-up-for trip to Texas and New Mexico. Then the company he works for started bringing in new machinery and talking less manpower. Literally the night before we flew to Dallas the word was any redundancies would be absorbed into another department. Off we flew, light of heart, and had a great time. Came back to chaos in the workplace and all bets off. Talk about stress.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:31 pm
What thread title would pique your interest?

"Faster than light travel improves sexual relations"
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:32 pm
Sorry, Chumly, I'm not a member of the Mile High Club.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:35 pm
Looking forward to the account, Tai Chi -- I picked "Back to School Pt. 2" because I liked pt. 1 so much.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:38 pm
I keep losing my damn post. Short version -- Mr. Fix-it is going back to school c/o of his employer's retraining option. Subsistence funding for three years while he's in school will pretty much cover most essentials. (He signed the papers for the Voluntary Separation Package on Christmas Eve -- I couldn't make this stuff up folks -- a full two months before we even knew if he'd be accepted into his program of choice. Luckily he was, we attended an Open House last week and he's pretty pumped.

(I keep saying "we" -- pretty soon you'll be accusing me of being a "helicopter spouse".)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:39 pm
((((((((((((((TC))))))))))))))))))

K - I would choose a title like "With A Little Help From My Friends" and then go with....

HECK girl - talk to us...

and de-stress

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8102/stressbeachchairoj6.jpg

I kinda liked the backpacking one.....

and 1 - but then I woke up! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:39 pm
Nobody wants me to sleep with a college guy? (Mr. Fix-it will be disappointed Laughing )
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:42 pm
I can't remember if your Mr. Fix-it is Canadian but if he is, and if he has his Tradesmen Qualification / Interprovincial / Red Seal perhaps I can help.

I have a bad cold and am watching Law & Order - off work for a spell.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:43 pm
I went backpacking as well.

Poor college guy misses out... :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:44 pm
Ah, a real adult life complicated story! How refreshing. (listening)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:47 pm
Yeah, it's been ugly around here. We were really looking forward to the "gravy" years -- putting a little money away for retirement. He only needed another 9.5 years. He's been laid off twice before so his pension from this employer wouldn't have been incredible but we wanted the post-retirement benefits.

And I have spent a lot of time beating myself up over my Albatross-ness. I have a very spotty work history and never really trained for anything. I'm usually good in an interview but my resume never gets me that far. But the big problem is that I don't want a "real" job. I'm going to need the summers off if we're going to continue renovating the Old School. There'll be lots more to post about that, soz, since we're talking moving up there sooner rather than later. And as you all know it has no running water or indoor plumbing yet. Lots of work to do over the next few summers.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:48 pm
littlek wrote:
Ah, a real adult life complicated story! How refreshing. (listening)

Laughing

Refreshing, that cracked me up! (But thanks for listening.)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:52 pm
Chumly wrote:
I can't remember if your Mr. Fix-it is Canadian but if he is, and if he has his Tradesmen Qualification / Interprovincial / Red Seal perhaps I can help.

I have a bad cold and am watching Law & Order - off work for a spell.

Not that kind of a tradesman, Chumly, but thanks. His is an industry in decline (which we knew) and frankly he feels he's getting a little old for the physical demands it sometimes makes. I'm not going to go into any details here as he has to sign a confidentiality agreement and I worry about identifying his employer.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:10 pm
Understood!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:40 am
Tai Chi I think you're an enterprising woman, I'm sure you and Mr. Fix-It will conquer this temporary set back. Hang in there girlie you will get all the moral support you need from your many a2k friends.
btw I picked backpacking for a $1 a day, easy to say, because I'm a pensioner, had I been a 'couple' of years younger I might have picked no 1 Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:14 am
I went with the college guy (heck, I've gone with a few college guys in my day, if yanno what I mean).

Work with summers off. Hmm. Day care?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:41 am
From this morning's Writer's Almanac

Quote:
When you set out on your journey to Ithaca,
pray that the road is long,
full of adventure, full of knowledge …
visit many Egyptian cities,
to learn and learn from scholars.
Always keep Ithaca in your mind.
To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
But do not hurry the voyage at all.
It is better to let it last for many years;
and to anchor at the island when you are old,
rich with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches.
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.

C.P. Cavafy

Remember, life is what happens when you're planning something else.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:15 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Remember, life is what happens when you're planning something else.

That would have been another of my title options, Noddy Smile

We have been trying to think of it as a grand adventure -- the arrival of spring and sunny days has helped a lot.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:19 pm
jespah wrote:
I went with the college guy (heck, I've gone with a few college guys in my day, if yanno what I mean).

Work with summers off. Hmm. Day care?

I hope y'all realize the "college guy" refers to Mr. Fix-it! Laughing I have no designs on his classmates (most of whom will be young women -- aye, there's the rub!)
0 Replies