Travel games for two people on long plane flights

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:19 pm
32 hours. We can't count white volkswagens (they're really seen above 10,000 feet). We'll have uno, and the mile high club, but have you got any other innovative ideas to pass the time time on a long haul?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 17,025 • Replies: 33

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
Stumpers?

Person a thinks of a word......and gives the initial letter.

Person b to gain the right to ask a question about the word in question, has to "stump" person a.

To stump them, person b makes up a word beginning with the same letter as person a has in mind.

Person b gives person a a clue as to what the word they have in mind is.

If person a cannot guess the new word, person b gets to ask them a question re the word they are trying to guess.

Eg: Person a thinks of a word beginning with "L". (The word is lavender)

Person b thinks of another word beginning with "L"....in this case landmine.

The clue they give is "something you definitely don't want to put your foot in"

Strangely, person a cannot guess this word, and, after a reasonable period of bickering about whether the clue was fair and reasonable, person b gets to ask person a about "lavender".

(In this case, they ask whether it was animal, vegetable or mineral.)

I think we once spent an hour of agreeably passionate argument when I was person a, and person b's stumper word (also beginning with "L") was "The leaping Nuns of Norwich."
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 05:53 pm
dlowan wrote:

I think we once spent an hour of agreeably passionate argument when I was person a, and person b's stumper word (also beginning with "L") was "The leaping Nuns of Norwich."

Laughing

That should suitably annoy the other passengers.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
A big pad of blank paper and a pen.

Play hangman, anagram scrambles.....

Or one starts a story with a sentence of two after which he/she folds the paper over and the other continues for a sentence or two without looking back. Continue.

You can play the above with drawings as well. One draws a head and neck, fold paper, the other draws a body, fold paper, next are the legs and feet.

For some reason, I kept coming up with math games..... that's a teacher for you!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:22 pm
Break out the Benadryl, the earplugs, the eye masks, the pillows and the blankets, and play "Who Can Sleep the Longest?"

That's what we do on long flights.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:36 pm
Eva wrote:
Break out the Benadryl, the earplugs, the eye masks, the pillows and the blankets, and play "Who Can Sleep the Longest?"

That's what we do on long flights.

That's what I do too!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:02 pm
hingehead wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Laughing

That should suitably annoy the other passengers.....

Pissed the crap out of 'em on the train from New York to Montreal. :wink:

WE had lots of fun, though.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:34 pm
Jeez, I can't believe I didn't make Mr C play travel games with me the one time we had a long plane flight... Next time! I'm bookmarking, these are fun ideas... Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:05 pm
I adore travelling places. But I suffer so, poor me, though I'm still basically happy, even when aggravated. First of all I get sneezy. Then I get asthmatic after some time. I am always in coach, so, there is that. There was the time with the kid bouncing his head on the back of my seat... there was the time we were set next to the attendents' kitchen, where they talked throughout the flight, and I wasn't yet liberated enough to get up and ask them to tone it down. Besides which, I am usually exhausted to start with, just with the last minute stuff and getting on the flight. So, there I sit, Ms. Wired. I usually buy a badly written thriller at the airport, but since I don't like badly written thrillers, tend to wander off in my mind, though not to sleep.

30 some hours??

I've taken melatonin tablets with me, but not taken any. Obviously should have taken benedryl.

1) you can spend some time figuring out what time it is where you left from, where you are now, at your various stops, and at your destination.
A computer can do that, but otherwise this can engage you for minutes, and it can be repeated as time passes.
2) have two or even three really good books you actually want to read. Edifying educational books, maybe not the time.
3) diary. Time for that memoir to start...
4) pop up in your seat from time to time, and do isometrics or somesuch, to get your circulation moving.
5) go mad with lap top solitaire games..

so, no, no innovative ideas.

Bet Francis has some ideas. He's a serious traveller.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:18 pm
Arm wrestling? Transcendental meditation? Travel scrabble.

Where ya going?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
http://boardgamegeek.com/game/7717

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/2453

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/32129 < www.skycastlegames.com

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/4396

easy two player games that you can play inside the lap trays of an airliner
Each under 25.00, super high ratings, great re-sale value if you choose to sell them after the trip and can be found almost anywhere Smile
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:23 pm
Hmmm the big Nyquil Q or risking aggravating Mrs Hinge's competitive streak? Maybe some crosswords. I like doing the trivia quiz in the qantas mag - except we're not flying qantas, and the quiz only takes 5 minutes.

Is there a pocket trivial pursuit? No, I'm so trivial I just annoy Mrs Hinge. Pity you can't play pictionary with two people.

Thanks to everyone for those tips - speckly shewolf, for the detail in the links. The travel diary idea is good - except there's nothing much to report at the start of the trip. I hate long flights too Osso, for some reason tummy feels like I've got a pressure imbalance and it wants to explode, and it just gets worse and worse. And on the Spain trip I caught a bug of someone and walked the first 80km of the Camino with a temp of 102 in a zombie like trance.

There's always the David Boon method of passing the time (52 cans of beer). And sleeping is already part of the plan - but not for 30 hours. There's always the inflight entertainment but can't imagine being able to bear that for more the 10 hours in total. And reading wears after a while too.

I liked the idea of arm wrestling, I might win that. We've got a pocket backgammon set but I never quite liked backgammon. Chess is just too hard. Maybe Hungry Hungry Hippo?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:01 am
There was what we called the alphabet game, perhaps not exactly the one mentioned before, based on the old Twenty Questions game. Difference being that this could last a lot longer than 20 questions.

I say two or perhaps three letters. The other person asks questions that can be answered yes or no. Easy example, GB. Thus people can leap past questions and guess the name in your mind.

I remember one, given us by a friend's mother, MSH. Turned out to be Madame Schuman Heink, or a similar name, opera singer before our time whom we'd never heard of.
Asking letter by letter is, if not cheating, tacky, but if a lot of time goes by, perhaps that has merit. I was addicted to this past time, so watch out. Also, with it, you can annoy even yourself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:09 am
ossobuco wrote:
I adore travelling places. But I suffer so, poor me, though I'm still basically happy, even when aggravated. First of all I get sneezy. Then I get asthmatic after some time. I am always in coach, so, there is that. There was the time with the kid bouncing his head on the back of my seat... there was the time we were set next to the attendents' kitchen, where they talked throughout the flight, and I wasn't yet liberated enough to get up and ask them to tone it down. Besides which, I am usually exhausted to start with, just with the last minute stuff and getting on the flight. So, there I sit, Ms. Wired. I usually buy a badly written thriller at the airport, but since I don't like badly written thrillers, tend to wander off in my mind, though not to sleep.

30 some hours??

I've taken melatonin tablets with me, but not taken any. Obviously should have taken benedryl.

1) you can spend some time figuring out what time it is where you left from, where you are now, at your various stops, and at your destination.
A computer can do that, but otherwise this can engage you for minutes, and it can be repeated as time passes.
2) have two or even three really good books you actually want to read. Edifying educational books, maybe not the time.
3) diary. Time for that memoir to start...
4) pop up in your seat from time to time, and do isometrics or somesuch, to get your circulation moving.
5) go mad with lap top solitaire games..

so, no, no innovative ideas.

Bet Francis has some ideas. He's a serious traveller.

Qantas has this great map thing...and when they aren't playing films and stuff, I get hypnotised watching for the little plane to leap a weeny bit along its flightpath, which is superimposed over a map of where you happen to be.......every now and then it gets orgasmic.......THE MAP CHANGES!!!!!

JAL have it, but don't show it much, and when you ask the stewards if that is Alaska below you, they don't know, and lose face, and giggle, and blush a lot, and have to go ask, and don't like you any more.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:35 am
dlowan wrote:
and when you ask the stewards if that is Alaska below you, they don't know, and lose face, and giggle, and blush a lot, and have to go ask, and don't like you any more.

I often tell the stewards the place we are over..

I had a lot of fun looking at a Texan eyes popping out, in a flight from Houston to Paris, when I explained him in full extend, that we were over the Hudson, (see, just there is Brooklyn) and Long Island...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:08 am
Hingehead

K- do you like trivia/games...

here are the clues...no no no - you musn't do them now - they are for the plane Shocked If you print them off for Mrs HH - she may enjoy

(some US based answers)

31 = F at B.R. = 31 Flavours at Baskin Robbins (I wouldnta known that!)
5 f on a h
4 L on a D
12 N. on a C.
50 s. UsoA

I HOPE YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO FIGURE THESE OUT NOW - FOR THE PLANE :wink:

music
9 N on the T.C.
21 N. on the G.S.

anything
7 D. in S.W.
A S. in T. S. 9
26 L. of the A.
7 D. of the W.
7 B. for 7 B.
7 W. of the W.
4 Q. in a G.
24 H. in a D.
1001 A. N.
60 S. in a M.
12 = Number of S. of the Z.
54 = Number of C. in a D. (WITH J'S)
8 = Number of P. IN THE S.S.
88 = Number of P. K.
13 = Number of S. on the A. F.
32 D. F., at which W. F.
90 D. in a R. A.
18 = Number of H. on a G. C.
$200 for P. G. in M.
8 = Number of S. on a S. S.
3 B. M., S. H. T. R.)
76 T. L. the B. P
76 T. L. the B. P
5 = Number of D. in a Z. C.
11 = Number of P. on a F. T.
A P. is W. 1000 W.
29 = Number of D. in F. in a L. Y.
64 = Number of S. on a C. B
40 D. and N. of the G. F.
9 = Number of J. on the S. C.
99 B. OF B. on the W.
1 H. on a U.
40 D. and N. of the G. F.
9 = Number of J. on the S. C.
99 B. OF B. on the W.
1 H. on a U.
15 M. on a D. M. C.
21 = Number of D. on a D.
1 W. on a U.
365 D. in a Y.

a palindrome is a word, phrase, verse, or sentence that reads the same backward or forward.

What word becomes a palindrome when viewed upside down and backwards?

Pronounced as one letter but written with three, only two different letters are used to make me.

I'm double, I'm single I'm black, blue, and gray.
I'm read from both ends and the same either way.

What word, when written in capital letters,
is the same forwards, backwards and upside down?

What call for help, when written in capital letters,
is the same forwards, backwards and upside down?

How did Adam use a palindrome to introduce himself to Eve when they first met? (5 words)

You could make up palindrome sentences:

Eg. Delia sailed
Delia sailed, eva waved, elias ailed
Devil lived
Did Hannah say as Hannah did?
Did Dean aid Diana? Ed did.
Did I draw Della too tall, Edward? I did!
Do geese see God?
Do nine men interpret? Nine men, I nod

HH - Any of this kinda stuff any interest to you. No worries if not. Let me know if you would like the answers!

(just stuff off the www but will chuck some more together if this sorta thing that will break up the plane journey a?)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:17 am
Try this one:

find the hidden message.

This is this puzzle
This is is puzzle
This is how puzzle
This is to puzzle
This is keep puzzle
This is an puzzle
This is idiot puzzle
This is busy puzzle
This is for puzzle
This is forty puzzle
This is seconds! puzzle
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:19 am
Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:22 am
Hey cool ideas izzie and francis

THere must be a ton of puzzle sites on the web I could print off stuff like this. Izzie there is actually word for those puzzles, but it completely escapes me at the moment - Ditloids? My stupid brain wants to figure them out now. Must. Hold. Back. From. Looking.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:27 am
NO NO NO

MUSN'T DO THEM NOW - THEY ARE FOR THE PLANE Smile Rolling Eyes

(K - just not gonna be possible to NOT do them now a?) Laughing
0 Replies