An email from Maya Angelou

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:03 pm
Dear Steve,

I am writing to tell you about my friend, Hillary Clinton, and why I am standing with her in her campaign for the presidency. I know the kind of president Hillary Clinton will be because I know the person she is.

I am inspired by her courage and her honesty. She is a reliable and trustworthy person. She is someone I not only admire but one for whom I have profound affection.

Hillary does not waver in standing up for those who need a champion. She has always been a passionate protector of families. As a child, she was taught that all God's children are equal, and as a mother, she understood that her child wasn't safe unless all children were safe. As I wrote about Hillary recently in a praise song: "She is the prayer of every woman, and every man who longs for fair play, healthy families, good schools and a balanced economy."

It may be easy to view Hillary Clinton through the narrow lens of those who would write her off or grind her down. Hillary sees us as we are, black and brown and white and yellow and pink and relishes our differences knowing that fundamentally we are all more alike than we are unalike. She is able to look through complexion and see community.

She has endured great scrutiny, and still she dares greatly. Hillary Clinton will not give up on you, and all she asks is that you do not give up on her. She is a long-distance runner. I am honored to say I am with her for the long run.

I am supporting Hillary Clinton because I know that she will make the most positive difference in people's lives and she will help our country become what it can be. Whether you are her supporter, leaning towards her, undecided, or supporting someone else, I believe Hillary Clinton will represent you - she will be a president for all Americans. It is no small thing that along the way we will make history together.

Vote for Hillary Clinton and show your support at www.hillaryclinton.com/nc. I know she will make us proud.

Dr. Maya Angelou
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 496 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:16 pm
Now I don't really know where this came from, but several friends have shared it with me. This purports to be a view of the American election as reported in Dutch newspaper.

'We in Denmark cannot figure out why you are even bothering to hold an election.
On one side, you have a lawyer who is married to a lawyer, and a lawyer who is married to a lawyer.
On the other side, you have a true war hero married to a blonde with a huge chest who owns a beer distributorship.
Is there a contest here?'
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:20 pm
Her honesty? She'd still be lying about dodging bullets in Bosnia if she hadn't got caught lying. She says we brought freedom to Iraq. Yet, "The massive post-invasion death toll in Iraq has left tens of thousands of children orphaned and women widowed. In 2006, studies by the Ministry of Women's Affairs concluded there were approximately 300,000 widows in Iraq's capital city alone. In 2007, Iraq's anti-corruption board estimated there were 5 million orphans in Iraq.
The widows, orphans and other survivors in Iraq's enduring conflict are steeped in a miserable marinade of insecurity and displacement. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, 4 million Iraqis are displaced, with approximately 2 million refugees in neighbouring Syria and Jordan.
In Baghdad, one of the world's most dangerous cities, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) estimates a quarter of the city's 6 million residents have been displaced from their homes. March figures indicate that in spite of the recent US troop surge in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad still suffers a reduced murder rate of 29 violent deaths a day.
With unemployment levels between 25 and 40 percent, and over 50% in some areas, food insecurity and deprivation is also rife.
Before the 2003 invasion, twelve crippling years of US-led economic sanctions, resulted in the death by malnourishment and lack of medical care of 1 million Iraqis. Last July, Oxfam revealed that 43 percent of Iraqis were earning less than 1 dollar a day while 4 million Iraqis depended on emergency assistance for survival.
Millions of Iraqis are also deprived of clean water and medical care. According to the ICRC, "the humanitarian situation in most of the country remains amongst the most critical in the world." With water and sanitation systems in utter disrepair, 70 percent of Iraqis do not have access to safe drinking water.
While in the 1980s Iraq boasted one of the best healthcare systems in the Middle East, in the volatility of recent years, thousands of doctors have fled, hospitals are failing and children's healthcare now ranks amongst the world's bottom three. The ICRC declares that Iraq's healthcare system is now "in worse shape than ever."
The suffering of Iraq's children is particularly harrowing. There are more starving children in Iraq now than during the black decade of West's economic sanctions, during which half a million children died due to severe malnourishment and the breakdown of sanitation and healthcare (UNICEF). Child malnutrition rates, Oxfam reveals, have increased from 19 percent during the 1991-2003 embargo, to 28 percent currently.
The scars of child trauma associated with sustained violence and insecurity also run deep in Iraq. Many children pass dead bodies on their way to school, wake up to the sound of gunshots and have seen one or more relatives die in mortar or bomb attacks. Studies by Iraq's Ministry of Health show 70 percent of children in Baghdad suffer trauma symptoms such as stress related bed-wetting or stuttering.
The millions of children ensnared by the gripping fear and distress of living in a war zone, cope with limited support - hospitals are too overstretched to deal with psychological trauma, many of the best psychologists have fled and international organisations such as Save the Children and the Iraqi Red Crescent Society have suspended work with child victims due to insecurity or limited funding.
Yet the incessant carnage fuelling terror and trauma, persists. While President George Bush claims that last year's 30,000 US troop surge is allowing "normalcy" to return to Iraq, Iraq's official March death toll, higher than any other month since August 2007, indicates otherwise. Heavy fighting in Baghdad and Basra and a scourge of deadly bomb attacks killed 1,082 Iraqis in March alone, including 952 civilians.
It seems that for Iraqis daily battling death and indigence in an imploding country, the devastating legacy of Iraq's plunge into war 5 years ago, will be stoically suffered for years to come." link
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:26 pm
Um, I liked "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

If only she were a superdelegate.
0 Replies