artist

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:17 am
godmagnus wrote:
yes i did that little show with some political people. rana bashara went to that school here. she told me that i wasa failure as an artist becasue i do not get art shows like her or havethe support that she does. she put down sva too as well asthat doms person. he told me that i shopuld be like rana and have good art that ewveryone wants and that my art is not good enoughto be exhibited anywhere. i get told this always. ....

Lots of artists don't sell their work during long, bad patches. It doesn't mean they're bad artists or aren't artists - it just means the public isn't buying. Like I said earlier, the economy is bad, and art is considered a luxury item, hence the market is soft. It ain't you - it's the market.

If the South bothers you so much, why not pack up and leave? It strikes me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you have little keeping you where you are. Why not just go to a place where you may be better appreciated? But, keep in mind, it doesn't just come because you want it to - recognition and success come because you make them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:39 am
If I were trying to make a living as an artist, I would work on it from at least two points of view. First, I would create what ***I*** wish to create and try to sell that. Until such time as ***my*** work became self-supporting, I'd also work on some obviously marketable pieces that are attractive to the mainstream audiences and sell those to keep food on the table and provide supplies for my more serious work.

You have the talent to do both. I was particularly attracted to your charcoal sketches of the human body. One of the things that attracted me is that they appeared to celebrate the body rather then try to erase it like many of your other works seem to. I hazard a guess that more sketches like that would be highly marketable.

I also got a kick out of your satrical one that looked like it was a computer monitor with a curtained window on the front of it. That piece would be attractive to folks for many reasons....the computer being a window to the world of information on the internet. Companies like Microsoft might be interested in something like that in an advertising campaign for their Windows program or MSN internet service. Many people would buy a poster of that for their kids with the caption "there's more to life then what's on the computer screen."

Per your request, I've removed the image from my post. Would you like me to remove the photos of your father's work as well?
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:48 am
art
art
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:01 am
Sorry to see you're reading in hostility - there isn't any on this end. Of course I've heard of racism! And I respect that you've been trying. But the market, for whatever reason (call it racism if you like) ain't where you are.

So - if you can't physically move, how about trying to sell your works online? Yes, you have a site, but like Butrflynet says, it's hard to find things. So make it easier to find things! Promote yourself on Google!

Able2Know exists and is promoted due to the work of a lot of volunteers. And Google is a big part of our promotions. I don't personally know more than less than 1/10th of the people who are registered on the site. Google is a fantastic way to bring in people. You need to make it work for you.

Ah, heck, you don't seem to be interested in what I have to write, so I will wish you well and how you can find your way.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:11 am
Wow.... all I can say is just "wow."

I'm sorry the time I have spent trying to help you is not up to your standards.

I'm sorry that anything positive said about you or your work or your life is ignored or immediately trashed by you.

I'm sorry you are so obsessed with how awful your life is that you can't think about anything or anyone else.

I'm sorry that, in a message board community of thousands of friendly people and hundreds of subjects to communicate about, the only thing you choose to talk about is me, myself and I and how awful it is to be me, myself and I and how mean people are to me, myself and I and how angry me, myself and I are.

I'm sorry that several people have taken the time to offer suggestions and encouragement to you and all you've done is spit it back in their faces.

I'm sorry, but perhaps blame for the problems isn't entirely isolated to everyone else. Some of it lies at the feet of me, myself and I.

I'm sorry I missed the whole point of why you posted here in the first place. I thought it was to seek advice and ideas to get yourself out of the situation.

I'm sorry, but I'm done too.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:20 pm
You sound as though you may be suffering clinical depression???? if you are then you need help from a doctor to get yourself into a fit frame of mind to tackle the problems you complain of.

I am not a doctor so may have that totally wrong but have experience of someone close who suffers from clinical depression and the way you don't listen or consider helpful advice and respond in a postive way is very typical of their behaviour when ill.

Life only improves with some input from yourself and listening and sifting through advice given to see what might work for you. Focusing entirely on yourself does not endear you to others - you need to be interested in them and their problems and happiness and give out happiness by having cheerful and positive conversations - most people avoid someone who is down and complaining all the time. (you may not be but on this thread it seems that you may be) Counselling may help?

All the advice you have been given is good, you were offered friendship, someone to talk to - but you must realise that if all you ever say is 'poor me, everyone hates me' to people who don't hate you and are trying to help - then you perpetuate the rejection.

You are a valuable and important person as we all are. Don't let anyone tell you that you are not. Don't take to heart words said in anger and not considered.

Also - when you send your cv etc do you get someone to check it over and see that it looks professional and well presented? This is essential as if it looks badly spelt or untidy then it makes you look bad - if you want them to take your work seriously then use your spellcheck and get someone to help make sure it looks as good as it possibly can and well laid out - this is the first they see of you and judgements at this stage can make or break.

i do hope things go well for you and i am NOT criticising but like the others, trying to help.
0 Replies