art
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,900 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:33 pm
Killing yourself doesn't provide any answers. It just makes you dead. It sounds like you need to get out of the town you're living in. What town are you in? Certain markets are better in the south than others. You went to Pratt, why not go to new york (wich you'd be familiar with) or Los Angeles? There are larger art markets there. Certain areas of the united states, especially the southern united states, are not tolerant of variations of skin color, sexuality, or religion. What kind of work do you do? How does it address issues such as social harmony and being an avid fighter against the abuse of children, men and women? It sounds like art is important to you. What is it that you are trying to accomplish with your art? Also, if you want to fight abuse of childern, men, and women, is art the most effective avenue for you to take to prevent this abuse? What is it you're trying to do, and how?
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:20 pm
art
art
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:43 pm
Godmagnus,

Asking questions is one of the ways we have of getting to know you better and understanding why you feel the way you do. If you'd prefer we not ask questions, that's okay. We're good listeners too.

Perhaps we can start by hearing about your art, can you give us a brief description of your medium and style or even post a picture of it here?

It sounds like you put an awful lot of importance on the opinions of others about every aspect of your life. Before we've even had a chance to know anything about you or your work, you've told us everything there is to dislike about you. That isn't the best way to go about introducing yourself to people.

What would be your first impression if I were to go up to you on the street and say "Hi! I'm Butrflynet. People don't like me because I have an odd sense of humor and I have a hard time being accepted and making friends. I don't expect you to help me, you'll probably just reject me like everyone else does."

How do YOU feel about your art. Are you satisfied with it, is there room for improvement? What types of work are you skilled at that might help support yourself while you establish your reputation as an artist?

I'd love to hear about your travels in Europe. You say your father is William Pleasant III. I'm sorry that I am not familiar with the name. I'll do a Google search to see if I can find any examples of his work. In the meantime, do you have any family to reach out to that can help you through this difficult time in your life?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:48 pm
godmagnus wrote:
...i am over shadowed by people who are in a low level art school here. I am not respected as an artist at all and no one here has even heard of Pratt or SVA. And if they have, they always put it down. Or tell methat I am a liar and never attended either school....

These folks who are telling you this are idiots. There's no need to give any credence to them whatsoever. It's like someone going to a cut-rate trade school that anyone can get into and claiming they're superior to people attending Harvard. Ignore 'em.

It's very hard to find work these days, you're not alone! I'm sure it must also be difficult to sell artwork. After all, if people are doing poorly financially, they won't be buying artwork instead of food. I know that doesn't help much, but I hope you see it's nothing personal. Many very successful artists are, I am sure, not seeing as big a market for their work as they did before the recession.

What do you enjoy doing? Where do you enjoy being? Who do you enjoy being with? Do you have a family? Where are they in all of this? Being alone is one thing. I moved to Delaware for school back in '83 and didn't know anyone. I had no social support system whatsoever until I began school (a few months afterwards). It was tough, but it helped to talk to my folks on the phone and also to just go out and try to meet people. "Hi, how's it going?" is an easy sentence to utter, and in the South people may be more approachable. How about just "Good morning." to the people you see during the day, either at the bus stop or the coffee shop or the gym or wherever you go. You won't make for-life friends immediately, but human contact is important. Sometimes just one person smiling at you can help.

I also urge you to seriously consider contacting a mental health professional. Look in your phone book under social services - you can get in touch with someone to talk to, and it can be free if you can't afford it. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I hope you will find someone to talk to and get the help you need.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
Just took a look at your father's work. I especially like these two

Is this one a portrait of your mother? She's beautiful and your father did a wonderful job of bringing out the detail of her features. I can't quite tell if she's very sad or smiling. Her eyes look sad while at the same time she looks like she is holding back a smile.

How does your work compare with his? In your brief biography you mentioned that he influenced your work. I'd really like to see a picture of your work if you have any available.

I read that your father spent a lot of his time in Savannah, Georgia. Is that where you are now? I've been to Georgia several times, Val Dosta, Tifton and Atlanta. It is a beautiful state with a wealth of subject material for an artist.
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:10 pm
art
art
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:20 pm
art
art
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:29 pm
art
art
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:32 pm
art
art
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:34 pm
Have you tried e-mailing what you've just shown us to gallery owners?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:40 pm
Really glad you came back to chat, hon. Was more then a little concerned for you, Jalal.

Have you given any consideration to creating a website to display your work? By doing so, you get to present your work in the fashion you think best represents it and you get to have the opportunity to talk about each one to tell people what inspired it. By using a website you don't have to subject yourself to the painful rejections you perceive. You could also create some flyers and post them in public places such as supermarket, library and museum bulletin boards as well as corner telephone poles and traveling arts and crafts shows. The flyers could advertise your website as well as show off a photo of your best work.

You obviously have access to a computer. Take some good pictures of your work and have them scanned onto a CD for you (or use a digital camera if you have access to one).

That website of your father's is ok to piggyback onto but it doesn't really give you your own freedom of expression and opportunity to construct your own style and reputation..

If you decide to stay with your father's website that's okay too, but please please remove your farewell writing about how unhappy you are and your thoughts of suicide from the website. That is no way to market yourself or your art. Do you want people to stop and have a look because they have an interest in your work because you are talented and they like your art or do you just want them to feel sorry for your sob story and pity you as they walk on by?

If that picture at the bottom of your website is of you, you're a handsome guy. Snap out of it! Quit feeling sorry for yourself Jalal! Quit telling me about why I shouldn't like you or your art and stand up for yourself. There is a workable solution to your predictament if you're willing to put the energy into working toward it rather then just letting the current circumstances blind you to the many alternatives before you.

YOU have let others talk you into giving up on yourself, Jalal. Time to choose, buddy. Who is controlling your life, you or them? Are you trying to sell your art or your death?
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:53 pm
art
art
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:09 pm
art
art
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:29 pm
Believe me, I understand. I've been judged all my life and let other people control my feelings about myself. It has only been very recently that I found the inner strength to do something about my situation and ignore all the negativity.

You are indeed feeling sorry for yourself, hon. That's okay, you've had a tough life. Just don't make a career out of it. Let people get to know you. Believe it or not, we just might like you inspite of your best efforts to tell us how terrible things are.

It is a good sign that you are getting angry about it. Do you realize that you've spent more energy on these message boards telling us how bad things are and all the negative things in your life rather then seeking the advice of others to help you figure out your options?

You finally started to show a spark of energy and life when I posted about your father. That spark led you to share some of your work with us and get some feedback. It is a start. You're reaching out... don't stop now. What would you like to hear from us? We can't solve the problems for you but we can offer suggestions and support as you try to work yourself out of the despair you are in.

I wish I was rich enough and had the right connections to try to personally help you but, I don't. All I can do is offer my friendship and the little bit of life experience I have along with my skills at searching out answers to questions people want help with. You have to do your part too. As you have experienced in your life, negativity is not an attractive quality. Step away from it and let us get to know the other sides of you too.

Realize that I am not putting you down. I am trying to reach out to you but you keep pulling your hand away.
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:50 pm
art
art
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:27 pm
Quote:
i have tried so hard to just have a friend.

If you take a moment to look around on these boards, you'll find a whole lot of friendly people who love to talk about a very wide range of subjects.

Pick a few of the subjects that interest you and start some conversations. Ask people about themselves and their life experiences, don't just automatically offer all the negative stuff in your life.

Again, there's a huge community of caring friendly people here just waiting to welcome you to the fold. I urge you to take advantage of it. :::poke:::
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:41 pm
By the way, you never answered my earlier question. Are you living in the Savannah Georgia area? Just curious so I can do some searches on the internet to see if I can find some resources for you on the many issues you've raised in your posts.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:27 am
I did some exploration on your website and via Google search and found more of your work. Your website needs some reorganization. It takes way too much effort to locate and view your art. Rather then creating a list of links which lead to other links which lead to the individual art pieces, why not use thumbnail size photos of your work on the first page and allow people to click on them for a larger view of the photo along with some verbage from you that explains what we're looking at and the techniques and materials used. This way people get an immediate glance and overview of your work and can click on the individual items they wish to see in detail.

Found some mentions of a few shows and exhibits you were showcased in. How did things go there? What were some of the good aspects of the exhibition for you?

Southern Coalition for Radical Arts and Politics

Open house art exhibit March 28 and 29 from 7-11 p.m., showing paintings, sculptures and installations of Rana Bishara, Nick Doms, Jalal Pleasant. Theatrical performances and poetry throughout the exhibit, to be held at 459 E. Huntingdon St. All art is for sale. Free and open to public. Call 236-2580.

And this entry at the Wrong Exhibition. Is this computer art? It looks similar to some that I saw on your website.

Quote:
Image removed at artist's request
0 Replies

godmagnus

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
art
art
0 Replies