Dogs and Televisions

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:32 pm
It used to be 'common knowledge' that dogs didn't really perceive television like we did - it was just noisy and bright.

Now I'm thinking that it was the CRT screens that dogs couldn't deal with - something to do with their eyes?

We've got a new big LCD screen and 'Dogs with jobs' was on and our labradoodle was intensely interested in a couple of Kelpie sheep dogs - when one ran off screen he lurched in that direction to see where it came out. I'd never seen that before from him.

I've seen dogs react to sounds from TVs but never before seen a screen hold a dog's attention like that.

Does anyone know if there is a scientifc basis for thinking the TV/dog thing is changing because of the new screen technologies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:12 pm
Perhaps the scan rate may have changed..or may be it's the improved coherence of the image in some way helps the dog's ability to follow the action of a dog on TV display. Aslo, the sound fidelity has improved a major amount, too. These animal behavior shows have improved and there is MORE of that type of show onm Cable TV.

I can attest to an amazing happening with a dog and a friend's 50-inch projection style TV as a bunch of us were watching the World Series. The dog, not once but twice, jumped up and shut the TV off at the power switch on the console. With all of us glued to the set (and not him), this dog wanted the attention but "knew" where the power switch was and reacted to it. He shut it off 2 times in succession. Fancy that?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:09 pm
I saw a show years ago about how a dog's eyes couldn't process the TV picture because of the frame/second rates. A dog's eyes are supposed to be fast enough that they can process info faster than human eyes can so they would see gaps in between the frames that we can't pick up.

But I know with my HDTV the dog will sit here and stare at it intensely for 15-20 minutes at a time. There are several programs on National Geographic and Discovery HD that she really likes to watch.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
know nuffin about dogs.

One of the best things I ever saw was some years (and cats) ago.

My then cat was sitting with me, watching telly, when Won Casey came on - stupid bigoted bastard that he was (or still is!).

The cat watched him for a bit and then walked up and smacked his face and walked out!

Talk about discriminating!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:03 pm
Following along with interest..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 10:01 am
I had read very long ago roughly what Fishin' is saying, only the author claimed that dogs saw the "dot" scanning across the screen of a cathode ray tube, and didn't process the image we build up by watching the screen, since we don't see the "dot" scanning across the screen.

I have known many dogs who would pay no attention to a television, unless they heard a dog barking in the program. Since The Girl frequently watches "dog" shows on television, our dogs have learned to ignore the television now, because they seem to have figured out that the dogs they hear aren't really there. The television we have has a cathode ray tube.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 10:07 am
BBB
My Dolly and Madison have a favorite TV show. It is the Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl broadcast each year on Supper Bowl sunday.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/puppy-bowl/puppy-bowl.html

Be sure to watch the video.

BBB
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 06:57 pm
I had a cat once that would sit and watch the tv for hours at a time -- but only when it was turned off.

Never understood, prolly never will.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:54 am
Media dogs aren't to be worried about.

On the other hand, bird calls on an Identification Instruction Tape used to worry my shepherd/collie mix no matter how often they were played.

Birds belonged outside.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:10 am
Wy wrote:
I had a cat once that would sit and watch the tv for hours at a time -- but only when it was turned off.

Never understood, prolly never will.

Maybe the cat was watching reflections in the glass.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:39 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Media dogs aren't to be worried about.

On the other hand, bird calls on an Identification Instruction Tape used to worry my shepherd/collie mix no matter how often they were played.

Birds belonged outside.

Now you reminded me a them birds in the subway the other night. Two of 'em flew through the platform area of the tunnel. Musta got in where the subway goes over the river valley--it ain't sub there, it's super. They was flyin' the wrong way to get out though . . . the dogs did not comment.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 09:58 am
I noticed toddlers reacting to a swooping sparrow in the grocery store last month--pure delight.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:49 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I noticed toddlers reacting to a swooping sparrow in the grocery store last month--pure delight.

We have a chipmunk living in the store where I'm working. He's no dummy -- there's a pet aisle full of bird seed and the occasional spill of dry dog and cat food. Now the powers-that-be have decided to branch out into food for small rodents and hamster litter. I predict he will be inviting the whole family to come for an extended visit.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 02:30 pm
Tai Chi--

Can you imagine what your chipmunk's larder looks like? Our local chippers came out of hibernation and promply cleared the last 30 pounds of a 50 pound sack of deer corn. Squirrels buried a few kernels, but chipmunks are thriftier critters.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:49 pm
Noddy --

Our chipmunk dashes from pallet to pallet in the warehouse for safety's sake. I suspect when the pallets are moved we'll find his hoard.
0 Replies