This F**king Cat

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:28 am
Are you guys serious about tranqs?

Hard to tell when someone is serious or not half the time.

****, if the fur is that much trouble just take him in for a shaving and be done with it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:29 am
can you do that?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:32 am
Valium works on cats. One of MAB's Siamese was on them after kittening over 30 years ago. Nothing new under the sun there.

You definitely need the vets input on dosage/timing.

Some antihistamines work as tranqs on dogs - again vets need to figure out the dosage for you.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:41 am
Can you shave 'em?

Sure, why not. So long as it's warm enough there is no harm done.

And actually, petting a newly shaved cat isn't all gross like a lot of people imagine. Smile It feels nice, and they don't seem to mind.

Ok...I can see tranqs with a Siamese...but with a young rascal just to brush them?

I don't know. That seems off to me. But that doesn't mean anything other than it's not my preference.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you're not getting the bathroom thing.... it's not that he resents being in the bathroom... he resents not being allowed on the bed or in the bedrooms with Stephen and I and that's not going to happen... therfore he's going to be pissed and destructive wherever he is in the house.... and the bathroom is where he can do the least damage.

No offense intended, but you're the one not getting it my friend.

Cat wants to be on the bed. Why don't you let him? He's clean, he'd be doing what he wanted, and after the initial period of thinking it's great fun and going after your feet under the covers whenever you move them, he'll settle down.

How do you know he doesn't resent being in the bathroom? He's bored in there, started destroying things....tries to commit suicide by going through the drug cabinet. He bases against the door...that sounds resentful to me.

Really, why can't he get on the bed?

Roland is over 2 years old now, maybe 2 and a half. The first few nights we had him in the house, when a few months old, I slept with him in a separate bedroom, so he wouldn't get into trouble in the rest of the house.

The first night he drove me crazy. He was overexcited by all the big changes suddenly in his life, and couldn't settle down. Just like any overstimulated baby, and that's exactly what he was, a baby. For literally hours he made muffins all over me, like I was a substitute mother. Finally he settle on kneading into the crook of my neck, with those little sharp sharp claws. Shocked

Finally I picked him up by the scruff of the neck, placed him on my hip and pressed him down, in a "stay" movement. I was looking at him in the dark, and for a second saw his silouette tense to jump off and start f*cking around again, then, this "hey, this isn't so bad" instant. He stayed crouched for about 3 seconds....then I saw his little head bob once....twice....and on the third, he was out for the count. Totally passed out.

Variations of this went on the the next few days, until we let him roam a little around the house, and jezzer was used to him being around.

To this day, 2 years later, whenever I lay down on the bed to read, watch a little TV, or to nap, roland appears out of nowhere and immediatly cuddles against my side, purring to beat the band, and is still and quiet. I refer to that room as "roland's love next"

I did the same thing with otis, who is a much more hyper cat. otis is also more of a "cat cat" if you know what I mean. roland bonded, otis semi-bonds.

Otis too, to his personal extent, looks at that room, and that bed as a safe haven against the trauma of the world.

Really? What's the reason for the cat not on the bed thing?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:35 am
Chai, you can babysit my fur balls any time.

You'd also be a great candidate for a kitty foster mom. Smile Rehabing the little critters into being good candidates for adoption.

Most folk simply don't want the troubles. Understandable. Honestly! I don't have the patience to do with dogs what I'll do with a cat...

but...

it's nice that there are people out there who have the devotion to their cat babies like you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
Chai wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you're not getting the bathroom thing.... it's not that he resents being in the bathroom... he resents not being allowed on the bed or in the bedrooms with Stephen and I and that's not going to happen... therfore he's going to be pissed and destructive wherever he is in the house.... and the bathroom is where he can do the least damage.

No offense intended, but you're the one not getting it my friend.

Cat wants to be on the bed. Why don't you let him? He's clean, he'd be doing what he wanted, and after the initial period of thinking it's great fun and going after your feet under the covers whenever you move them, he'll settle down.

How do you know he doesn't resent being in the bathroom? He's bored in there, started destroying things....tries to commit suicide by going through the drug cabinet. He bases against the door...that sounds resentful to me.

Really, why can't he get on the bed?

Roland is over 2 years old now, maybe 2 and a half. The first few nights we had him in the house, when a few months old, I slept with him in a separate bedroom, so he wouldn't get into trouble in the rest of the house.

The first night he drove me crazy. He was overexcited by all the big changes suddenly in his life, and couldn't settle down. Just like any overstimulated baby, and that's exactly what he was, a baby. For literally hours he made muffins all over me, like I was a substitute mother. Finally he settle on kneading into the crook of my neck, with those little sharp sharp claws. Shocked

Finally I picked him up by the scruff of the neck, placed him on my hip and pressed him down, in a "stay" movement. I was looking at him in the dark, and for a second saw his silouette tense to jump off and start f*cking around again, then, this "hey, this isn't so bad" instant. He stayed crouched for about 3 seconds....then I saw his little head bob once....twice....and on the third, he was out for the count. Totally passed out.

Variations of this went on the the next few days, until we let him roam a little around the house, and jezzer was used to him being around.

To this day, 2 years later, whenever I lay down on the bed to read, watch a little TV, or to nap, roland appears out of nowhere and immediatly cuddles against my side, purring to beat the band, and is still and quiet. I refer to that room as "roland's love next"

I did the same thing with otis, who is a much more hyper cat. otis is also more of a "cat cat" if you know what I mean. roland bonded, otis semi-bonds.

Otis too, to his personal extent, looks at that room, and that bed as a safe haven against the trauma of the world.

Really? What's the reason for the cat not on the bed thing?

because he sheds all over every f**king thing... I'm inhaling cat hair... he gets on my pillow, purrs in my ear.... and I'm a light sleeper. I also pay the f**cking rent and buy the food. I also have black bed linens...It's you who don't get it. This is not a kitten.... this is a mature 2 year old cat.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
See, I just don't see any of that as going to any particular lengths.

You bring a new animal into your house, you need to make them comfortable with their surrounds. I mean, what did I do? I slept with the cat for 4 or 5 nights. Big deal.

The payoff though is an animal who will trust you, who's less likely to be destructive, because he's kept mentally stimulated. It's going to be around with you for 20 years, so you better have a good relationship.

There's give and take on both sides. Re the declawing? Yeah, they have their claws and the first knuckle of their toe cut off. It hurts them for 2 or three days......those who say it keeps them from walking properly haven't looked at the anatomy of a cat. It does use that knuckle for walking, balance for standing. It's only used when extended for a full claw usage, not even extended fully for running.

Well, into every life a little rain must fall. The cat has his pain for a couple, 3, 4 days....then lives the next 15 or 20 years never getting punished or resented for clawing.

Scrathing posts?

Yeah, right.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:58 am
well we'll have to agree to disagree. The cat sits in my lap while I'm on the computer...he's doing so right now. He's played with, has toys, Stephen holds him.... he gets treats a couple of times a day.

He's just not allowed in the goddam bedroom and I don't want his ass (literally) in my stove eyelets or my carpet dug up.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:58 am
Chai, you are a mysterious woman.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:00 pm
PS... this cat was at the end of his allowable stay at the animal shelter and was going to be put down.... he's alive, clean, full, warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather.

He could be dead.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm
You want me to arrange that, Bear?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:02 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

thanks for the assumption that I'd do something cruel to the animal. Your indignation is a little hard to take seriously when you make jokes about tasting animal cum to check the breed. Laughing

Well, honestly, I thought you were serious too, about "taking it for a ride." That's why I hadn't posted before... (But obviously I need to see this thread where Chai mentions this, um.....unusual.....method of determining a breed, you're probably quite right not to take her seriously anymore Wink [just kiddin, Chai, don't hurt me])

..........Anyway, I'm wondering about the bedroom thing too--What's the big deal about kitty coming in the bedrooms? With all the cats I've had, not being able to get in the bedroom causes a LOT of problems. It's always been more trouble than it was worth and better in the end to just let them come in; they almost always settle down if they can sleep with someone.

And resenting being locked in the bathroom? Hell YES he resents it! Cats always resent being "put." It doesn't even matter if it's somewhere they want to go, if you PUT them there, unacceptable.... Laughing Boy, cats sound great, don't they? But they really are! At least they are self-determining individuals--qualities us Murricans supposedly love!

Anyway, the bathroom isn't a good strategy long-term; he's just going to be that much more frustrated and pent up all the time, seriously.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:05 pm
Okay, well I see while I was writing that you answered why not in the bedrooms--black sheets *snort*---uh, excuse me! sinus problems Razz
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:05 pm
I forgot about that stuff where Chai was tasting the amorous residue of feline creatures. Was that on this thread?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:06 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Okay, well I see while I was writing that you answered why not in the bedrooms--black sheets *snort*---uh, excuse me! sinus problems Razz

what's wrong with black? and it's my comforter and shams that are black... my sheets are white...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm
Chai does a lot for us, doesn't she? I think we all owe her a token of appreciation.

Perhaps some frozen cat semen, shaped like a popsicle? I don't know....just throwing out ideas.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You want me to arrange that, Bear?

no but you could take chai for a ride...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:08 pm
when I buy my own place I'm getting another dog.... maybe it will eat the cat...
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:08 pm
Yeah, I tend to agree it's a fight that is usually more trouble than it's worth!

Does the cat have a "safe place" to flee to in the house?

That helps sometimes. One spot that is all it's own - you won't touch them, pet them, just totally leave them be when they go there.

Princess chose the scratching post on her own. She goes there naturally when she is stressed, or gets in trouble. It's like "time out" for everyone.

I'm betting that cat gets more cuddles and petting that it even knows what to do with. Sometimes cats act out when they feel trapped.

Not saying you all aren't treating him good...just saying cats are particular. Very particular.

Litter box too...you might want to check that all is well there. Cats are strange, finicky.
0 Replies