Who should get to vote?

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:22 pm
If you ignore the movie and read Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", you get his interesting take on this very topic. (For those who don't know, Heinlein started as a lefty but turned extremely right in the late 50's. His novels cover the spectrum even into the 60's) In Starship Troopers you must serve the community, often in arduous or dangerous jobs to gain the right to vote and be a citizen. Most people don't bother. There are whole sections of the book devoted to political discussions of what citizenship means and political history. I read this book every few years and get something different every time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:36 pm
DrewDad wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, there is this whole concept of democracy and self-rule. I happen to like it.

But why?

Philosophical reasons? Pragmatic reasons? What?

In one sentence: Everyone who gets to feel the consequences of the choices made by the government, should have a say in who gets to be in the government.

--

Education or political interest has nothing to do with that. You dont need to have a college degree or watch C-SPAN to be affected by the policies of the government. In fact, the people who do are the ones who have least to fear; they'll get by any which way. It's poor kids without a degree who are most likely to end up in Iraq fighting a hopeless war of choice, for example.

--

It's all fine and nice to talk of giving the decision to those who are most informed and best educated. But in the end those people are also just likely to predominantly vote in their own socio-economic interests - and thats hardly necessarily whats in the interests of most people.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:43 pm
nimh wrote:
In one sentence: Everyone who gets to feel the consequences of the choices made by the government, should have a say in who gets to be in the government.
Then you must be against the voting age.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:49 pm
DrewDad wrote:
So do you have any thoughts on why the will of 50% +1 of the mob should rule?

50% + 1 doesnt rule,

5% + money rules.

DUH.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:51 pm
there is also selling large quantities of cocaine, in which case the poor kid will end up richer than most with college degrees.

The hood does a good job of making people smart. or just filtering out idiots.

criminals, the dumb ones end up in prison, the smart ones end up in government.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:52 pm
MAY I ASK the views of the participants here
about Berluscony achievement during his past rule?
Are any italians or Europeans on line to uphold this nonsense?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:52 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
So do you have any thoughts on why the will of 50% +1 of the mob should rule?

50% + 1 doesnt rule,

5% + money rules.

DUH.
Shirley you're not suggesting the democratic process can be corrupted by money.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:02 pm
Democracy is the worst corporate controlled commercial enterprise.
Nothing to do with decency
nor decorum .
barbarism pure
Ask PUTIN
BerLUSCONY
Bush.

Democracy in USA is the worst form
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:33 pm
The more rules you make for voting the better chance there is for politicians to bend those rules.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:03 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
MAY I ASK the views of the participants here
about Berluscony achievement during his past rule?
Are any italians or Europeans on line to uphold this nonsense?

No.

Ramma Damma Ding Dong!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
ebrown_p wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
What do you prefer?

A Meritocracy.

I have been on several software products that were run as meritocracies (which basically is a form of Oligarchy). There is one person, or a small group of people who get to decide which of the members deserve more power.

The truly deserving (as determined by the people in the ruling group) are eventually invited to become part of the ruling group.

This perpetuates the good in the organization and rewards those who contribute.

This would be great if we could institute it nationally.

And who gets to decide who that "small group of people" is?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:08 am
mysteryman wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
What do you prefer?

A Meritocracy.

I have been on several software products that were run as meritocracies (which basically is a form of Oligarchy). There is one person, or a small group of people who get to decide which of the members deserve more power.

The truly deserving (as determined by the people in the ruling group) are eventually invited to become part of the ruling group.

This perpetuates the good in the organization and rewards those who contribute.

This would be great if we could institute it nationally.

And who gets to decide who that "small group of people" is?

You, me, Ticomaya and Foxfyre. That will keep it fair and objective.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:28 am
Re: Who should get to vote?
DrewDad wrote:
Should we test for the franchise? Please solve the following quadratic equation....

I have long been in favor of restricting the franchise. I propose the following test for all potential voters:
    Answer the following question: Was Iraq responsible for the attacks on 9/11?
Those who answer "yes" to that question would be denied the right to vote, on the grounds that they are too stupid to participate in the political process.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 09:25 am
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Should we test for the franchise? Please solve the following quadratic equation....

I have long been in favor of restricting the franchise. I propose the following test for all potential voters:
Those who answer "yes" to that question would be denied the right to vote, on the grounds that they are too stupid to participate in the political process.

Answer the following question: Did Bush cheat in Florida to win the 2000 election?
Those who answer "yes" to that question would be denied the right to vote, on the grounds that they are too stupid to participate in the political process
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:37 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Answer the following question: is kentucky fried chicken's crispy recipe better than original recipe?
Those who answer "yes" to that question would be denied the right to vote, on the grounds that they are too stupid to participate in the political process
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 02:28 pm
Listen friends and correct me if I were wrong?
Why in the name of spreading democracy make the life wrtched?

What kind of decency you people export?

The materials you pople export is not available at home.
Are your sure you people will make use of your legitimate right to uphold decency?
Decorum
Democracy?
Show me your record with valid statistics..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 03:49 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Listen friends and correct me if I were wrong?
Why in the name of spreading democracy make the life wrtched?

What kind of decency you people export?

The materials you pople export is not available at home.
Are your sure you people will make use of your legitimate right to uphold decency?
Decorum
Democracy?
Show me your record with valid statistics..

Please.

Do you mind ranting somewhere else?

While I'm willing to discuss the lack of merit in attempting to export democracy at the end of a gun, your inflammatory remarks are unnecessary.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:01 pm
i had reponded some one.
Your offensive interupption is not congenial.
Sorry.
Rama
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Ramafuchs wrote:
blah, blah. blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah... blah, blahblahblahblahblah...

it is half past monotony here in koln...

Please.

Do you mind ranting somewhere else?

what drew dad said... jeezusss...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:28 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Answer the following question: is kentucky fried chicken's crispy recipe better than original recipe?

That sounds like a good test, but I'm not qualified to answer that.
I dont eat fried chicken.
0 Replies