How would you spend three billion dollars spent on Iraq war?

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:27 am
How would you spend the three billion dollars spent on the Iraq war?

http://3trillion.org/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 542 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:50 am
underpin the house, new john boat, sex with 2 women at once, dinner at one of them fancy places where they come to the table with that big thing and put pepper on your food, big screen tv, couple new tattoos and a thousand dollar wal mart shopping card for the little lady.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:48 am
High speed rail on the east coast from Miami to Boston with only 10 stops (including one in Raleigh for Bear). Think of the reduced ware and congestion on I-95. Point one on Engineer's infrastructure renewal plan. I know the rest of the country would feel left out, but a lot of the population of the country is on this corridor and I have other projects for the rest of the country.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:53 am
Engineer
engineer wrote:
High speed rail on the east coast from Miami to Boston with only 10 stops (including one in Raleigh for Bear). Think of the reduced ware and congestion on I-95. Point one on Engineer's infrastructure renewal plan. I know the rest of the country would feel left out, but a lot of the population of the country is on this corridor and I have other projects for the rest of the country.

Good choice, Engineer. Can't wait to learn of your other projects.

How about creating multi-train track rails to increase the capacity of rail transporation. It would help to reduce the numbers of trucks on highways as well as reducing gas fuel consumption and polution. Maybe it would be possible to build freeways on top of the rails to serve two forms of transportation on one site width.

BBB
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:30 pm
Math check!

First, bad news for Engineer: the high-speed rail on East Coast will cost a minimum of $50 billion (the French TGV already made the study), so the $3 billion budgeted by engineer will barely be enough to pay for another study.

Next, good news for Bear: that plan would cost only $ 3 million, leaving a lot of change from the $ 3 billion promised by BBB.

Truly godawful news for all of us: the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are expected to cost ultimately $ 3 trillion. That's trillion, with a "T".

Y'all off by 3 orders of magnitude.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:36 pm
High Seas wrote:
Math check!

First, bad news for Engineer: the high-speed rail on East Coast will cost a minimum of $50 billion (the French TGV already made the study), so the $3 billion budgeted by engineer will barely be enough to pay for another study.

Next, good news for Bear: that plan would cost only $ 3 million, leaving a lot of change from the $ 3 billion promised by BBB.

Truly godawful news for all of us: the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are expected to cost ultimately $ 3 trillion. That's trillion, with a "T".

Y'all off by 3 orders of magnitude.

That was my goof, posting 3 billion instead of 3 trillion. I'm getting old.

BBB Embarrassed
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm
trains are so much more economical than trucking... why did we give them up in the first place?

Partly rhetorical I'm sure it had to do with contributions to politicians.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:55 pm
BBB - you're not getting old, it's just "trillion" used to be a number used primarily by astronomers; it only recently came into common parlance!

And in this sad case we got blood that must be added to the treasure:

Quote:
As the fifth year of the war draws to a close, operating costs (spending on the war itself, what you might call "running expenses") for 2008 are projected to exceed $12.5 billion a month for Iraq alone, up from $4.4 billion in 2003, and with Afghanistan the total is $16 billion a month. ...Even so, it does not include the $500 billion we already spend per year on the regular expenses of the Defence Department. Nor does it include other hidden expenditures, such as intelligence gathering, or funds mixed in with the budgets of other departments.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article3419840.ece
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:03 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
trains are so much more economical than trucking... why did we give them up in the first place?

The oil-gas, auto-truck-bus and tire industries killed most forms of public transporation decades ago so they could sell more of their products for PROFIT! Electric autos, electric trains, electric trolly cars, rail trains, and river boats largely disappeared from our cities and towns.

BBB
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:31 pm
How about spreding democracy without corporate sponsored bollywood drama?
Why the hell american Democracy is so melodrama with much money.?
How about bringing back the innocent NO citizens?
V R not with U
Rama fuchs
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:43 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

How do you figure that?
Do you see rain tracks running to every store, gas station, mom and pop store, and every other business in the country?
How do you think goods and freight get to the different merchants around the country, and to the railroad terminals?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

How do you figure that?
Do you see rain tracks running to every store, gas station, mom and pop store, and every other business in the country?
How do you think goods and freight get to the different merchants around the country, and to the railroad terminals?

sigh.... what is cheaper a big truck picking up his load at the Wichita spur delivering it locally or trucks riding all the hell over the country 24/7?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:51 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

How do you figure that?

sigh.... what is cheaper a big truck picking up his load at the Wichita spur delivering it locally or trucks riding all the hell over the country 24/7?

That depends.
Whats the freight?
Where did it come from?
Where is its final destination?
What trucking company is hauling it?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:55 pm
widgets
coming from widgetville
on the way to widgetburg
hauled by widget hauling and sons inc.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 04:09 pm
education straight up.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 04:13 pm
When the tax payers are infatuated with torture, butcher, and barbaric behaviour why not with borrowed money ?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 04:27 pm
when i hear of trucks picking up a load in halifax , nova scotia and carrying it all across canada to calgary and even vancouver , i can't see that it makes any sense at all .
some of the "true" costs are not attached directly to the goods transported but paid for out of general taxation funds - such as highway construction and maintenance . if those costs would have to be paid for directlly , things would change imo .
it might help by introducing "toll highways" in canada . prety well all highways in canada currently do not have a user charge .
hbg
0 Replies