Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:22 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 491 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:11 am
Michael Bloomberg and Wallmart. An alliance made in heaven. Not that our local Wallmart has sold handguns in the past decade anyway.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:17 am
Quote:
It also calls for keeping a record each time the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives links a gun bought at Wal-Mart to a crime. If a person who buys a gun linked to a crime were to return to a Wal-Mart to buy another gun, the purchase would be flagged. It would then be up to the store whether to permit the purchase.

So if I buy a gun and it gets stolen (which does happen in the real world), and that gun then gets used in a crime in another city or state, Walmart would have the ability to deny me the right to buy another gun?
Even though I reported the theft to the police, even thought I did everything possible to protect my gun from being stolen from my house or car?

When fully put into effect, the agreement would also prohibit the sale of a gun to someone whose background check comes back with inconclusive results. In many states, people are permitted to buy firearms even if a background check comes back with inconclusive results.

Thats because if its inconclusive, that means there was no evidence either way that says I could not legally buy a firearm.
So, apparently Walmart and these idiotic mayors want to above the law, and do things their way instead of doing what the law says.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:41 am
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
It also calls for keeping a record each time the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives links a gun bought at Wal-Mart to a crime. If a person who buys a gun linked to a crime were to return to a Wal-Mart to buy another gun, the purchase would be flagged. It would then be up to the store whether to permit the purchase.

So if I buy a gun and it gets stolen (which does happen in the real world), and that gun then gets used in a crime in another city or state, Walmart would have the ability to deny me the right to buy another gun?
Even though I reported the theft to the police, even thought I did everything possible to protect my gun from being stolen from my house or car?

When fully put into effect, the agreement would also prohibit the sale of a gun to someone whose background check comes back with inconclusive results. In many states, people are permitted to buy firearms even if a background check comes back with inconclusive results.

Thats because if its inconclusive, that means there was no evidence either way that says I could not legally buy a firearm.
So, apparently Walmart and these idiotic mayors want to above the law, and do things their way instead of doing what the law says.

But Wal Mart is a private company and does not have to sell you anything. They can deny you service for any reason. You're entitled to buy a gun, but they aren't entitled to sell it to you.

I think tracking guns is a common sense approach to gun trafficking. It isn't hard to see that gun shop A has lots of fire-arms showing up at crime scenes while gun shop B doesn't and that John Doe is buying dozens of weapons a month, many showing up at crime scenes. Let everyone own arms, but track the purchases. We track cars but no one is worried about the government coming to take our cars (even though that would have a lot bigger negative impact than taking guns.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:45 am
mysteryman wrote:

They already have the right to deny you the "right" (not at all a right) to purchase a gun in their store.

They can do it for almost whatever reason they please, even if they just decide you look funny or that they don't like you.

Quote:

Walmart can refuse to sell a gun to you for almost whatever reason they please and it's perfectly legal.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:02 pm
BBB
I think Walmart is not the biggest gun seller problem. It's the gun shows that are the worst. They are totally unregulated. That's the reason the NRA exists, to protect gun show sellers and gun manufacturers.

BBB
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:56 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I think Walmart is not the biggest gun seller problem. It's the gun shows that are the worst. They are totally unregulated. That's the reason the NRA exists, to protect gun show sellers and gun manufacturers.

BBB

They aren't totally unregulated.

I suspect you've never even been to one.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
fishin wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

How are they regulated? What is the degree of regulation. Which states are not regulated? What is the "gun show loop hole"?

BBB
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:08 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
fishin wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

How are they regulated?

BBB

According the the Brady Campaign's own stats, 75% of people selling guns at gun shows are FFL holders - and they are regulated by and required to comply with all Federal and state gun laws as far as sales go - including background checks on any buyer.

Again, according to their own stats there are some 4,000 gun shows in the U.S. each year. There are also 18 states that require background checks on firearms sales at gun shows. The bulk of those gun shows (~65%) are held in just 10 states. Of those 10 states, 7 require background checks on ALL gun sales at gun shows - private sales and those form a FFL holder. MD went the other way and banned all private sales at gun shows so only FFL holders can sell guns in that stae.

That hardly seems like it is "totally unregulated".
0 Replies