Basement Heat

mux101

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 05:52 am
I have forced hot water heat. I would like to add heat to my basement without cutting the pipes. Is there anyone that knows of heating finns that fit over the pipes. I have seen them before but I don't know where to get them or if they are still made. My basement is unfinished and I just wanted to add a little heat so when we do laundry in the winter it's a little warmer. I don't want to use electric heat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 989 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 05:54 am
You can't force the water to heat, it has to want to heat.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:34 pm
mux........I bet if you call your local plumbing and heating shop, they can tell you what the name for that is.

My basement is finished and quite large ...but even so, it heats up quickly when I turn the gas wall unit on down there. (Also have registers in the ceiling that put heat out) I would think for what you want, it shouldn't take much to get ya warmed up. But I would definitely make a few phone calls.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:42 pm
Re: Basement Heat
mux101 wrote:
I have forced hot water heat. I would like to add heat to my basement without cutting the pipes. Is there anyone that knows of heating finns that fit over the pipes. I have seen them before but I don't know where to get them or if they are still made. My basement is unfinished and I just wanted to add a little heat so when we do laundry in the winter it's a little warmer. I don't want to use electric heat.

Adding fins to an existing pipe isn't going to do anything for you unless those pipes happen to be installed as baseboard heaters. Their purpose is to diffuse heat over a greater surface area to warm the air that rises up through the baseboard unit. Without the baseboard configuration you aren't going to get the airflow through the fins to make any difference.
0 Replies

mux101

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:40 am
Thanks for your replies. The pipes are the main pipes for the feed to my baseboard heat. The finns the go over them resemble the baseboard heating finns that I have in the rest of the house. I just didn't want to have to cut the pipes and add small sections of the baseboard type elements. I called my plumber supply place. They have heard of them but they don't carry them and where not sure who does. I guess I will keep looking. I have until next winter.
0 Replies