BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 04:46 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
think that if you want to live with a dog then it is more sensible to choose a type of dog which is unlikely to kill any children (statistically speaking).

The one news story I remember of an infant being kill was by a train German shepherd police dog in the home of the police dog handler.

You have to keep an eye on any large dog and children with special note of very young children and infants.

A pit bull would had been likely been a problem in my childhood home if it had bond to me in the same manner as the then family dog did.

My parents or no one else could touch me in anger with him around and it there was any plans to do so the dog had to be removed from the area.

Strangely the dog seems to feel the same about other children as when a visiting neighbor went to hit his own kids I needed to catch the dog in mid-leap as he was going for the neighbor neck.
0 Replies

Nel

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:49 pm
@Ticomaya,
I own two Pits, and have raised them with love as pups. Mine aren't ticking time bombs.
It's the owners not the breed that are the problem.
I give them love and proper exercise every day, and what I have are very affectionate and loyal pets. Very social dogs, and no problem with neighbors kids, with kids in my family, or with the neighbors dogs, especially the very annoying chihuahua that one of my neighbors who have numerous times been successful in getting a bite out of my heel. Clearly that dog isn't socialized.
Any dog just wouldn't snap for no reason.
This thread just adds to the misunderstanding of these awesome breeds. In the 70's it was the doberman that were savage breeds, around the 80's to pre-2000's it was the rottweiler, and now in the 2000's it's the pit bull. The way I see it, proper education can only remove this irrational fear of such good dogs from the public mindset.
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:54 pm
@Nel,
Thats what the guy in Eastport Maine said after his two pitbulls broke out of the yard and attacked and really mauled this old lady walking down the street. A ticking time bomb only has to go off once .
The bull terrier and the "war" dogs have all been bred for one thing, protection or fighting. THEY HAVE NO OTHER REASON FOR BEING.

Tosa Inus, Dogo ARgentinos, Spanish War Dogs, Pits, Staffordshire Bulls,Perro de Presas, Dogo Canarias and early Rottweilers were all fighting dogs in rings.
Nel

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
Clearly the owner wasn't responsible in treating the two pits correctly. Do you know if the owner was lying about how he treated the dogs on a normal basis? Do you know if the owner had encouraged aggressive behaviors with people in the past? Was it an intact dog? Was it trained well and socialized?
So many assumptions made to just clearly put the breed in a bad light.
Although Pits are a bully breed, bred to be hunter or guard dogs, they can easily be trained to do many number of tasks. Just like any other dog. You teach it something, it sticks with them, simply good conditioning will give you a proper dog that is not a "ticking time bomb."
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:19 pm
@Nel,
Bullshit , he was a "trainer" and someone who everyone else went to for advice. As Isaid, the bomb needs to go off only once and your reputation is trashed ( besides being a damned shame to others because he was too stupid to realize that nature bats last and nurture loses ALWAYS)

Ive heard so many kakamaimie stories about how "pitbulls" are really loving dogs and the bad ones were trained improperly. ANY of those above breeds can go off like Mike Tyson with no warning.

Maybe youll be lucky enough to have your dogs go through life with no major incidents, but thats all itd be, LUCK. If the right conditions and the right tensions occur and the dogs genetics kicks in, I hope you have a damn good lawyer cause in Pa, the courts arent finding much sympathy for owners of fighting dogs that go nuts ONCE.

Many people have guns lying around where their kids can get at em and nothing happens. A pit bull is a loaded gun except IT decides when to go off.

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:30 pm
Another point that many of you Pitbull lovers seem to ignore. When 99% of the public see a person walking a pit bull, what guarantee is there that the damn thing is even under control. If I see the dog is muzzled then I see that the owner is at least aware of the statistics of unprovoked pit bull attacks .
(I include the other fighting breeds too cause there was a Tosa Inu that chewed up a little kid in Allentown Pa about 3 years ago and the thing that all those above dogs have in common is a fighting and bear baiting history)

Tico also made the salient point that a fighting dog is bred to bite and shake the hell out of its opponent while holding on. ANy other dog that bites (unless trained to act like a fighting or guard dog) will bite and then let go , more as a protection mechanism . Its warning you to stand back and get away from me.
Nel

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Bullshit , he was a "trainer" and someone who everyone else went to for advice. As Isaid, the bomb needs to go off only once and your reputation is trashed ( besides being a damned shame to others because he was too stupid to realize that nature bats last and nurture loses ALWAYS)

Ive heard so many kakamaimie stories about how "pitbulls" are really loving dogs and the bad ones were trained improperly. ANY of those above breeds can go off like Mike Tyson with no warning.

Maybe youll be lucky enough to have your dogs go through life with no major incidents, but thats all itd be, LUCK. If the right conditions and the right tensions occur and the dogs genetics kicks in, I hope you have a damn good lawyer cause in Pa, the courts arent finding much sympathy for owners of fighting dogs that go nuts ONCE.

Many people have guns lying around where their kids can get at em and nothing happens. A pit bull is a loaded gun except IT decides when to go off.

Clearly if you owned a pit and have had experiences with the dog, you'd see it differently.
I will say, these babies of mine are high maintenance dogs and requires lots of reassurance, and that's fine with me. They just need someone to guide them, than you being guided by the dogs. As with any powerful breeds, once you let the dog control you in your daily walks and life, that's when you hear these problems pop up in the news and such.
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:43 pm
@Nel,
I own border collies (we have a sheep and cattle farm) and I also have a catahoula that was used as a "protection dog" for the herd. We chose border collies because of theior amazing intelligence (mine arent good at solving differential equations so they cant be that smart), the catahoula is tricky, always testing boundaries and is a loving dog (BUT, hes got Spanish War Dog in him and thats mixed with a hound breed. so there is some degree of tempering.

Why did you choose pit bulls?
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
I could get a doggie that looked like this even if I had no sheep to tend. What a sweetheart

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m85bs6GBxJ1rngxdto1_1280.jpg

Oit bulls are ugly as wart hogs(At least to me)
Nel

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
I brought my two pits (APBT ) from a local shelter after my Anatolian Shepherd died of cancer. I mainly bought them because their mother was put down, and the pups were next. The rest of their brothers and sisters were already adopted, and they were the last.
Both currently 16 months old, and very energetic. so I give these rascals an hour to an hour and a half of rigorous play/exercise everyday. I do sometimes get a glance of their ferocious attitude in the heat competition with each other at play time. And what do you know, they love going dipping in the pool.
0 Replies

Nel

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
You're a farmer?

Good to know. sadly my farm do not have any cool farm animals anymore but some chickens and and a few cats. I own a 60 acre apple orchard.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 03:23 am
@farmerman,
You're basically right on this one... There's one other realistic use for pit bulls which is hog hunting which to me is the only really rational reason for wanting to own them, but hog hunting with dogs does not take place in urban or suburban areas. The idea of even wanting to own a pit bull in an urban or suburban area is highly questionable.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 04:34 am
@gungasnake,
hog hunting and bull baiting were historical uses for these dogs and its sad that, in the course of a boar hunt, the hunter may lose some dogs because they get gored badly and they are so damned fearless that they keep attacking even after being mortally wounded.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 04:37 am
@Nel,
we will have to agree to disagree on this one nel.
Do you use your apple orchard? I have a friend in Maine ho has one and they found a way to resurrect some of the trees and make scion (air grafts) to replace the heritage kinds. He now has a really popular "Cider grove" and is thinking of making hard cider to sell. Seems that hard cider was a drink of choice by New ENgland Patriots (The first ones not the fooball fans)
Nel

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
I have a friend in southern Illinois who runs a successful catch dog breeding program and frequently tells me of his out door activities with his favorite pack consisting of 3 pitbulls and 2 blue lacys. He hunts wild hogs in every winter or so. Once the lacy's tire the hogs and the hogs starts to fight back, the pits are released to hold the boar at bay.
He uses ballistic collars and special protective vests on all the pit bulls to avoid a large number of mortal injuries.

One of my silent pits, who doesn't bark as often as his brother, exhibit a well developed prey drive I think. About at least a half dozen times, I've had him bring back a rabbit and drop it by my feet. I am kinda repulsed by this, but he won't quit it.
Nel

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 07:18 pm
@farmerman,
Currently grown are 15 different varieties of apples. On the side I grow some grapes, a few plum, apricot, and cherry trees.
Luckily my farm wasn't hit as hard by the drought as it was well irrigated, and generally this year I'd say it was an ok year. There was a bit of a sudden temp change early spring, and frost took out about 30% of the trees, other than that it was allright.
0 Replies

Nel

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 08:39 pm
@Nel,
Edit
Nel wrote:

.... I've SEEN him bring back a rabbit and drop it by my feet. I am kinda repulsed by this, but he won't quit it.

LOL, I don't make him do it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:09 pm
Pit Bull ... family pet for 8 years ... probably never shown agression before ... ticking time bomb.

Quote:
Child killed by pit bull in south Fulton County
6:21 PM, Apr 25, 2013

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. -- Police said a 2-year-old boy was attacked and killed by a pit bull at a subdivision in south Fulton County Wednesday afternoon.

Police said a woman called 911, saying her child had been attacked by a dog. The call came from the area of Sierra Trail off of Stonewell Tell Road near Union City.

Investigators said the mother was at home with her child and the dog at about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. She said that when she left the room to go to the restroom, everything was okay, but that when she returned to the room, it was clear that the dog had attacked the child and killed him.

Officers were able to corral the dog in the bathroom when they arrived at the home, where it was kept until Animal Control arrived to take the dog.

Investigators said the dog had been a part of the family for the past eight years.

The dog was taken to the Fulton County Animal Shelter, where it will be kept in isolation.

Officers were not certain if the dog would be put down.

Quote:
Family dog kills toddler
Posted: 9:50 a.m. Thursday, April 25, 2013

By Ben Gray and Alexis Stevens
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A 2-year-old boy was killed at his South Fulton home Wednesday by the family dog, which had been a pet for eight years.

The child, identified by the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office as Beau Rutledge, was in his Sierra Trail townhome with his mother when the sudden tragedy occurred.

“She advised it happened fast,” shortly after 1 p.m. when she went to the restroom, Detective Melissa Parker with Fulton County police said, and, “It was an obvious death once the mother came out of the restroom.”

It was not immediately known if anyone else was in the home at the time.

“We don’t know what made it attack the child as it did,” said Oliver Delk, administrator for Fulton County animal services.

“The breed, we believe, is a pit bull,” Delk told reporters at the scene.

The dog remained in the home in a contained area, possibly a bathroom, for more than an hour after the attack.

“Once we handle the crime scene, then they will deal with the dog,” Parker said.

A neighbor, Joseph Messam, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he heard the child’s mother, who had run outside of the home and was on the ground, screaming.

“ ‘The dog killed the baby! The dog killed the baby.’ That’s what I heard her say,” Messam said.

Around 3 p.m., animal control employees took the dog away, to a shelter for evaluation, Delk said. He said. investigators will evaluate the dog’s overall health and temperament.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:15 pm
Another tragic death that occurred just days before the killing described in my last post ... a 21 month child killed by her family's "pets" -- pit bulls that were healthy and well-fed, who had been around the child her entire life ... the family "never considered them a threat."

Ticking ******* time bombs.

Quote:
Attorney: Mom studying while Ga. toddler mauled

By RUSS BYNUM, Associated Press

SAVANNAH, Ga. — A mother charged with child cruelty in the dog mauling death of her 21-month-old daughter was studying in her bedroom when the toddler slipped into their backyard and was attacked by the family's seven dogs, her attorney said Wednesday.

Authorities on Tuesday charged Summer Laminack with second-degree cruelty to children, a felony punishable by one to 10 years in prison, in the March 27 death of her daughter, Monica Renee Laminack.

"We feel and contend there is no question the death of this child was a tragic accident," attorney Tom Edenfield said by phone. "My client is an 18-year-old mother who loved her daughter and cared for her very much."

Bryan County sheriff's investigators said the child slipped outside through a doggie door and was attacked by the seven pit bulls and pit bull mixes in the tiny town of Ellabell, about 30 miles west of Savannah. By the time the girl's mother and other adults in the house noticed the dogs barking, the child was dead. Her clothing and diaper were found in shreds throughout the large fenced-in yard.

Edenfield said the toddler's mother was in her bedroom studying for her GED diploma when the attack happened. The child's grandmother was taking a nap, Sheriff Clyde Smith has said. And at least one other adult was home, but authorities haven't said what that person was doing.

Four generations of the same family shared the home, including the child's mother, grandparents and two uncles who are still young boys, the sheriff said.

The family let the dogs come in and out of the house and never considered them a threat, Edenfield said.

"The baby had been around the dogs her entire life," he said.

Animal control officers euthanized all of the dogs. The sheriff said they appeared to be healthy and well-fed. Investigators have been unable to say what might have caused them to attack the toddler.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 01:17 am
Another tragic death at the fangs of pit bulls. Yes, the boy was "in the wrong place at the wrong time" ... he was in a house that contained pit bulls. A babysitter owning pit bulls? That's criminal!

Quote:
Boy, 2, killed in Gilbert by dogs at babysitter’s home
By Laurie Merrill
The Republic | azcentral.com
Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 PM

A 2 1/2-year old boy was killed after he got in the way of three fighting dogs Sunday at the home of his Gilbert babysitter, police said.

The babysitter was also injured when she tried to break up a fight between three pitbull mixes in the home near Val Vista Drive and Melrose Street, said Gilbert police Sgt. Jesse Sanger, a department spokesman.

The toddler, who was declared dead at Gilbert Mercy Medical Center after the 11:11 a.m. attack, suffered several dog-bite wounds after winding up “in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Sanger said.

The babysitter was transported by ground to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center with injuries to her arms and legs, Sanger said.

She was undergoing surgery and listed in stable condition, he said. Gilbert police detectives had not been able to interview the sitter Sunday afternoon and were awaiting warrants to enter the home, Sanger said.

The woman was babysitting five children whose mother was in Flagstaff and father in Mesa, Sanger said. Two 9-year-old boys, and two girls, ages 6 and 7, were also in the house but not injured, Sanger said.

The babysitter has cared for the family before, he said.

It is possible she may face charges but not “if it’s purely just an accident,” Sanger said.

The mother was notified about 3 p.m. that her son had died, Sanger said. Gilbert police have not released the names of the babysitter or the children.

The dogs are in the custody of animal control officials, he said. Another dog, a hound, also lives in the home but was not seized by authorities, Sanger said.

The five-acre property is near Mercy Gilbert Medical Center and also home to several horses, Sanger said.

It was unclear whether the sitter owns the property, Sanger said