Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
I still maintain that not all pitbulls are evil.

Two live next door to me and they are two of the sweetest most obedient dogs I've ever known.

It's people that make these poor animals what they end up being.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:06 pm
@Bella Dea,
i have 3 pitts for neighbors and a bunch of steffies as well. all mellow and sweet. the owners are great.
but just yesterday one young pitt was stolen right on the street from a guy who had her on a leash. presumably for fighting or breeding. that is the problem. 'tis the people, not the dogs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:09 pm
@Bella Dea,
Sounds just like all those serial killers.....it is always the quiet ones you need to watch out for - they are just waiting for their opportunity.
CowDoc

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:21 pm
@Linkat,
The good news - pit bulls are less likely to bite humans than many breeds. The Chow, Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, and many others bite with more frequency. Now the bad news - when a pit bull does bite, it is far more likely to cause severe damage, due to the strength and structure of its facial and jaw muscles.
Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:22 pm
@CowDoc,
Exactly - they are potential serial killers
gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
The danger is sufficiently real and anybody keeping one of those dogs in an urban or suburban environment is placing all of his neighbors in danger.

Like I said, my advice to that asshole's neighbors is not to wait until one of them is killed or maimed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm
I'm really not afraid of their dogs. I am more afraid that one of our dogs (Zoe) will bite before their dogs do.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:11 pm
I dropped off some items for our local SPCA the other day and took a quick look at the dogs for adoption (never a good idea on my part, I always want one or cry or both), and I noticed well more than half were pit bulls or pit mixes. I think we could solve the over population of dogs if it was mandatory for pits to be neutered and large fines imposed on dogs that were not. It's not like you can't tell even from a distance on the males.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:14 pm
@Green Witch,
Both the neighbors dogs are rescues.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:22 pm
@Bella Dea,
You live next door to two ticking time bombs.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:25 pm
Quote:
'tis the people, not the dogs.

Yes and no. People have created the personality of the breed through selective breeding. For centuries, people have picked the most aggressive animals with the strongest jaws to make more pits. We now have pits with DNA aggressive tendencies and the ability to kill with a few strong bites. We could reverse that by selecting to breed only the sweetest, most gentle of the pits but I don't see people doing that. Sadly, the dogs pay for the choices made by the humans.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:32 pm
@Green Witch,
Like I mentioned, there actually is exactly one halfway rational use for pit bulls, although that does not go on in urban or suburban areas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKD9bz29Ic

That's your basic redneck olympics event...
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
You could say that about any dog.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 02:41 pm
@gungasnake,
That is a disgusting video made by disgusting people.
A real hunter would have had his dog get the pig and then kill it immediately.

I knew that I knew better than to click on that link.
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:03 pm
@Green Witch,
I've noticed that as well. Our local pet shelter always seems to have an overabundance of pit bulls or pit bull mix. I wonder if so many people get these dogs and then find they are not the right owners for this breed resulting in so many being in shelters.

I read our local paper every week and I rarely read any dogs available for adoption besides some sort of pit bulls.
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:05 pm
@Bella Dea,
I started to click it and then thought better - glad I scrolled down first.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:07 pm
@Bella Dea,
Sorry, I just used the first thing that came up on youtube for hog hunting involving dogs. The pit bull in the clip is doing his job propely, the people aren't, and need to buy themselves a real knife....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:16 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
You could say that about any dog.

Not true.

But in any case, this ticking time bomb can't do that much damage:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6369/1380573ferociouspomeran.jpg
gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 09:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
The victim would probably live...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:30 am
@Linkat,
same here. Over half the dogs advertised at the shelter here are pits and mixed breed pits.
0 Replies