patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:05 am
@Ticomaya,
All right, then. You're emotional involvement absolves you of any expectation of rational discourse and allows free license to hyperbole. My bad.

Bye now.
dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:12 am
@patiodog,
Man, pit bulls sure bring out the pit bull in pit bull disagree-ers!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:38 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
All right, then. You're emotional involvement absolves you of any expectation of rational discourse and allows free license to hyperbole. My bad.

You're assertion that pit bull victims just go on with their lives after they've been attacked demonstrates your lack of judgment on the situation. I don't know your background, but for one who professes at least some tangential involvement with animals, you show a striking lack of perception. My strongly-held opinion is that pit bulls should be strictly regulated. Feel free to disagree, post stories of all the wonderful things you believe pit bulls contribute to our society, or whatever.

Quote:
Woman attacked by pit bull clings to life
June 16, 2008, Adam Huening

Editor’s Note: This story contains graphic details that may be unsettling to some readers. Discretion is advised.

A local woman is fighting for her life after being mauled by her own dog.

Annette Williams, 615 W. North St., was reported to be in Methodist Hospital after her pit bull turned on her and attacked the woman in her fenced-in backyard Saturday morning.

Monday, details surrounding the cause of the attack were still unknown. However, the events and injuries were coming to light. According to Greensburg Police Chief Brian Heaton, the GPD received a 911 call at 6:21 a.m. regarding a woman screaming in the 600 block of West North Street. Heaton said an officer canvassed the area but discovered nothing suspicious nor did the officer hear anything out of the ordinary.

Just after 7, Laura Irvine was leaving the home of Joyce Helt, who lives across the alley from Williams. As she walked to her car, Irvine heard a faint call for help behind the brown privacy fence surrounding the backyard of the house next door.

“I heard her cry for help. It was really faint. Then she called out ‘Joyce.’ She must have heard the (back door) shut and called for help. We couldn’t hear her inside,” Irvine said.

The woman went to investigate, walking to the back of Williams’ yard where the fence was lower.

“When I got near the fence, the dog jumped up at the fence, barking and growling right in my face,” Irvine said.

When she stepped back from the fence and looked around the dog, she could see the scene. Williams was laying in the middle of the yard. Red blood stained green blades of grass, the side of the garage and the garage door. Everything in the yard had been knocked over and Williams was barely able to speak.

Irvine called 911 at 7:17 a.m., according to Heaton, and waited with Williams. She tried to keep her calm, she said, as the dog barked, growled and paced back and forth.

“I kept telling her help was on the way,” Irvine said. “Anytime she would yell ‘help’ or try to talk, the dog would run around her and bark at her.”

When officers arrived, the dog stood its ground. Heaton said Lt. Fred Huser and Officer Jarrod McCalvin were unable to enter the backyard. With the dog’s aggressive behavior and the woman’s condition, the officers acted quickly, Heaton said, and drew their weapons, destroying the pit bull.

“They absolutely had no other option but to shoot the dog,” Heaton said. “They both did a superb job. Unfortunately, they had to destroy it, but they did what they had to do to help that person as quickly as possible, and apparently just in time.”

With the dog dead, paramedics could finally access the yard to help Williams. The viciousness of the attack gave her little time as she bled profusely on the lawn. Williams was rushed to the hospital, Heaton said, and later transported to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. According to Irvine and Helt, Williams’ left arm was completely amputated and doctors were waiting to see how the infection healed before determining if she would lose her right arm as well. [Note: She lost her right arm later.] Helt said doctors had not determined if the attack would be fatal.

Heaton said officers had no known cause for the attack. Irvine said Willams and her husband had raised the 3 to 5-year-old male pit bull since it was a puppy. As she tried to comfort Williams, the woman told Irvine she let him out like she did every morning and this time, he turned on her and attacked.

The viciousness of the attack, Heaton said, was evident to anyone who was at the scene. Even officers who had seen their share of brutality had a hard time dealing with it. The pit bull did not merely attack his owner, Heaton said.

“Lt. Huser described it as ‘the grossest thing he had ever seen in 32-plus years on the force,’” Heaton said. “The dog was literally eating her to death.”

Irvine and Helt agreed they had never seen anything like it and hoped this served as a wake up call to people who keep these animals as pets. Irvine said despite the fact it was a vision she may never forget, she wasn’t leaving Williams until the police arrived.

“It was just a mess, blood everywhere, bones, bones sticking out of her flesh, and it wasn’t just bites, it was just chunks taken out,” Irvine recalled, the horror visible on her face as she recalled that Saturday morning. “It’s something that stays with you, all day and into the night. I’m still seeing it in my mind. I still think about it.”

Heaton noted since the dog was owned by Williams, and it was properly contained in accordance to city ordinance, no criminal charges will be followed and the investigation is closed.
Pemerson

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:41 am
My God, what a terrible story. I don't think it's possible to keep any big dog unless it's exercised. But, a Pit Bull? How would anyone even exercise them?
Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:43 am
@BillRM,
Sorry you can't for all types - I tried for my dog's breed and the closest I got was a cute puppy pretending to fight with his paws.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:12 pm
@Ticomaya,
What is newsworthy is not what is normal -- that is what makes it newsworthy. That's it, I'm done, cheers.
BillRM

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
How would anyone even exercise them?

Let them chase the neighborhood kids around?

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:52 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
What is newsworthy is not what is normal -- that is what makes it newsworthy. That's it, I'm done, cheers.

We can agree to disagree, then. Cheers to you.
BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:29 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
We can agree to disagree, then. Cheers to you.

What is there to disagree about dogs killings children is very rare and therefore newsworthy?

Bet I could do a google search in the same week this happen and find many stories that did not get the same play of parents killing thier children for example. An event that is fifty to a hundred times more common.

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 08:18 am
@BillRM,
How rare or newsworthy this issue seems irrelevant to my eyes. If your's was the child that died, would you care about the rarity? If your neighbor's dog did this to your child, how rare it is or newsworthy wouldn't matter to you and your family.

Attempting to do something about dangerous killer dogs has a far better chance of success than doing something about killer parents. We have and will set up laws and enforce them. That's the best we can do. And, how is the issue of parents who have lost their minds and kill their children relevant to this subject? Yet another irrelavant break in logic.

Admittedly, there are all sorts of dangers inherent in our society, but something could be done about this danger if society has the mind to do so. How this one issue plays out is complicated and the justice of punishment meted out and the wisdom of legislators should prevail.
BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:36 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Attempting to do something about dangerous killer dogs has a far better chance of success than doing something about killer parents

Sure kill all dogs over 20 pounds that would do it very nicely. Get that 12 death toll down to one or two a year at the most.

Of course some people will likely defend their dogs with the same level of force they would defend other families members so the death toll among the police and the citizens might be a little high for the first few years of such a program.

I happen to live in one of the only counties in the US where owning a Pit Bull is illegal with heavy fines and when you go into a vet office you will see a large poster with a picture of a Pit Bull and a warning on how dangerous they are and how illegal they are to own.

Results are the same level of Pit Bull ownership as before with the owners who now bother to register/license the dogs claiming they are of related breeds but not Pit Bulls.

The whole thing is annoying and silly and the one Pit Bull I had been talking about who is so lay back is a proud member of a family with three young girls happily living in the county where he is completely illegal.

Side note if you think people will not go crazy if you threaten their dogs a man had his Pit Bull seized by animal control and just before he was to be put down after a long legal battle some “unknown” person broke into the shelter and took him.

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:48 pm
@BillRM,
Your intended (or unintended) obfuscation of the issues and your reply speak for itself.
Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:02 pm
@Ragman,
And, furthermore, as quoted from Cynthia Smoot from Fox News Tampa- bay:

"TAMPA - A bill now before the Florida legislature would open the door to banning some dogs based only on their breed. Pit bulls are the likely target.

"They make up a large part of our pet population, so the statistics will bear out that they're the most likely to be impounded. They're the top biter. But they're right up there with the shepherd, the chow, and the labs that are also significant biters in the community," said Bill Armstrong, head of Animal Services in Hillsborough County.

There were more than 2,100 reported dog bites throughout Hillsborough last year. Nearly a quarter of those bites came from pit bulls or pit mixes.

So far Miami-Dade is the only county in Florida that has banned pit bulls. That could change when state lawmakers discuss the issue in Tallahassee. We will let you know if the proposed ban passes.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:00 pm
Quote:
Pit bull euthanized after attacking, killing owner's aunt
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:25 PM EST
By Logan Smith - email

LEE COUNTY, SC (WIS) - A pit bull was euthanized in Lee County Thursday after it attacked and killed its owner's aunt, who had been caring for it while her nephew was out of town.

Lee County Sheriff E.J. Melvin said Ethel Baker Horton, 65, was killed off Stokes Bridge Road near the town of Lucknow while defending her 71-year-old husband, Jerry Horton, from the pit bull.

"You never think of somebody dying that horrible death like that, not someone as close as she is to us," said Brenda Gillespie, who had breakfast with the Hortons just two days ago. "It's just terrible."

The Hortons were dog-sitting their nephew's 10-year-old pit bull named Brutus while the nephew was out of town, Melvin said. The dog had been tied to a 15-foot chain attached to a stake in the ground in the backyard next door.

"I've always been scared of pit bulls, but they weren't scared of them," said Gillespie.

Around 11:40am Thursday, Jerry went out to feed six beagles and two huskies that were also being kept in the backyard. As Jerry was feeding the other dogs, Melvin said the pit bull pulled the chain loose and attacked Jerry.

Ethel ran out and tried to defend her husband with a plastic pipe, but Brutus turned on her and mauled her. Jerry called his son, who in turn called 911.

Ethel was killed in the attack, and Jerry was taken to Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center in Hartsville with non-life threatening injuries.

"I know this is gonna just be so hard on him if he makes it, because they were just as one," said Gillespie.

The pit bull has been taken away and euthanized, and is being tested for rabies. The as-yet-unidentified nephew has been notified of the incident, but it's unclear if he will face charges.

The sheriff's department says Brutus never acted out before and in fact, the Hortons were familiar with him since he was a puppy.

"If any stranger comes around he may bark or anything like that but any other family member that's close to the dog, anybody can go up to him," said Major Daniel Simon. "That's what the family told me."

"It's very devastating, because if you're expecting someone to pass away that's not as bad," said Gillespie. "But for something like this, it's kind of hard to comprehend."

Pit bull attacks are not exactly uncommon in the Midlands, even when they don't result in death. In April 2009, different dogs attacked a Florence woman and a Sumter 10-year-old within a month of each other. The previous fall, a pit bull attacked a woman and her puppy, injuring her and killing her dog.

But fatal attacks have also taken place in the Midlands, mainly on children. In 2007, a father was charged with involuntary manslaughter when his five pit bulls killed his 22-month-old child. Later that year, a two-year-old was attacked and killed after wandering into the fenced-in backyard.
BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 01:30 am
@Ragman,
Sorry I live in Florida and in the only county in Florida where Pit Bulls are ban and know the history of this silliness and it will be a cold day in hell before the state allow any further bans on dogs.

When Miami-Dade county ban Pit Bulls the Florida legislature rush and I mean rush in a law not allowing counties to ban any breed of dogs.

They did however grandfather in the already existing ban on Pit Bulls in Miami Dade county.

The results in my county as I already stated was the same numbers of Pit bulls as always existing in the county however now the owners either do not registering them and therefore they are far less likely to have their shots or register them under the name of similar breeds.

The northern agricultural areas of the state had far too must power to allow this silliness to go beyond Miami Dade County.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thanks for posting that info, tico.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 11:13 am
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24436191/Dog-attack-deaths-and-maimings-U-S-Canada-September-1982-to-December-22-2009

Probably the most comprehensive list of dog attacks by breed that you can find.

You may note that Pit bulls and mixes have been involved in more attacks then any other dog, by something like a factor of 10.

Have fun!

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
wow - even the wolf was less.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
When you see a headline like this, you just know a pit is involved. Pits and Rottweilers are almost ALWAYS involved when kids are mauled by a dog.

Quote:
Boy, 10, severely mauled by 3 dogs in Arizona City

by Lindsey Collom - Jan. 20, 2011 11:35 AM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Authorities say a 10-year-old boy was seriously injured in a mauling attack by three dogs in Arizona City.

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office said the boy had just exited a school bus Wednesday afternoon and was walking home with his younger brother when they were approached by two Rottweiler mixes and a pit-bull mix.

The boys yelled at the canines to ward them off, but authorities said the dogs continued to advance.
A Sheriff's Office statement said the victim's brother ran for help as the dogs attacked the 10-year-old, biting him in the face, neck, torso and legs.

The boy's brother returned with other children and kicked at the dogs to stop the mauling. The statement said the dogs fled after neighbors began to strike them with baseball bats.

The victim was flown to Phoenix Children's Hospital for treatment.

Meanwhile, Pinal County Animal Care & Control officers detained two of the dogs at a nearby home, and a third was detained in an area east of the attack.

The dogs are being quarantined at the county Animal Care & Control facility in Casa Grande and will remain there for at least 10 days while an investigation is complete, county spokeswoman Heather Murphy said. The dogs will be tested for rabies and, if cleared, will likely be returned to the owner.

Authorities said the owner has been contacted, but it was not immediately clear whether Animal Care has had previous contact with him or her.

Once an investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Pinal County Attorney's Office for possible prosecution.

Additionally, the county has the option to cite the owner for the bite incident and for having dogs at large, Murphy said.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:54 pm
Quote:
Hundreds attend funeral for girl killed in pit bull attack

Written by Chris Dyches - email & Jeff Rivenbark - email & Sharon Smith - bio l email

WAXHAW, NC (WBTV) - It was standing room only at the funeral for a little girl who was attacked and killed by two pit bulls in Union County last week.

Mourners wore pink ribbons for five-year-old Makayla Woodard. Her mother said pink was Makayla's favorite color.

Her casket was taken by a horse-drawn carriage Monday from Davis Funeral Home on East Franklin Street in Monroe, to the cemetery for burial.

Makayla is survived by her parents, Kristin Lea Frady of Waxhaw and Raken Chase Woodard of Marshville.

"I loved my daughter," said Frady. "She was our princess," she said.

The family wrote in the funeral program that Makayla deserved a horse-drawn carriage and would have wanted one to carry out her princess dreams.

Later Monday night the Waxhaw board of commissioners voted to take the first step in what could eventually lead the town to change the way it deals with dogs.

The commissioners want to form a group to look at the town's current rules and way of dealing with problem dogs. The group could include a representative from police, a veterinarian, and others.

Commissioners also received an update from Waxhaw town manager Mike McLaurin. McLaurin talked about rules the town already has on its books, including a leash law and a rule to deal with vicious dogs.

The town also has an animal control officer set to start within two months.

In light of last week's tragedy, commissioners wanted to see if there was anything else the town could do to try to keep residents safe from problem dogs.

"It breaks my heart," said Waxhaw mayor Daune Gardner. "I know that our entire community's heart is just torn up by this. It's tragic."

According to the Waxhaw Police Department, Makayla and her great-grandmother, 67-year-old Nancy Presson, were attacked by the dogs last Wednesday just after 11 a.m. at 325 Rehobeth Road.

Presson was bitten several times on her arm and hand while trying to pull the dogs off Makayla, police and a law firm said.

Makayla and Presson were both transported to Carolinas Medical Center-Union in Monroe where the girl died a short time later.

Presson has been released from the hospital, following treatment for serious wounds.

Following the attack last week, Makayla's mother said she was upset the media described the dogs as vicious, even though the dogs killed her daughter. She said they had always been friendly up until Wednesday's attack.

Amy Plyler, who is a family member, said the girl was attacked while trying to get into a fenced-in yard adjacent to her home. Makayla and her mother lived with Presson.

Makayla was mauled by a pit bull named Rebel which Plyler said "tended to wander the street."

"I don't know if Makayla even saw them coming," she said.

Investigators said Rebel was immediately killed by authorities. The other dog was on the loose for a short time, but was later fatally shot by authorities.

Both dogs belonged to neighbor Michael Gordon. Waxhaw police tell WBTV they had just gone to Gordon's house around Christmas and warned him about restraining the dogs.

Some in the town believe the two pit bulls were abused, but a woman answering the door at Gordon's home Monday night said it wasn't true and that "people make up a whole lot of stuff."

A man who lives nearby on Sweetbay Court told WBTV he heard a woman's scream around 11:10 a.m. Wednesday.

Scott Bland was in his driveway trying to clear snow and ice so he could go to work. (Click to see our complete interview with Scott Bland.)

"She was screaming non-stop, she would catch her breath--there were no words, just screams," said Bland who called 911. "It was like a horror film, just high-pitch squeals, a woman's voice, the screaming just got worse."

Bland says when he spoke with a 911 operator, they had already received other calls concerning the attack.

"It was a little bit unnerving to know the pit bull dogs were running around the neighborhood," Bland said. "This is a perfect example of why people should not allow these dogs to run loose."

The town of Waxhaw does has a leash law which prohibits pet owners from letting their dogs run loose.

On Monday, the Waxhaw Police Department said they were still interviewing neighbors. Once these interviews are complete, police said the case would be presented to the Union County District Attorney's Office, possibly this week.

For now, it appears Gordon could face a charge of voluntary manslaughter or second-degree murder. If convicted on either charge, Gordon could be sentenced to serve time in prison.
0 Replies