DOES GOD EXIST?????

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 01:32 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
real life wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:
Joseph Campbell said that all religions are true in that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble.

Well, I guess good ol' Joe is all we need then. He's apparently got all the answers.

Can you tell me why you would accept Joe's opinion as if it were fact?

You've missed the point. Metaphors don't exist or not exist; they are not objective reality, they are symbols of experience.

That's an excellent definition of metaphor . . . but you're wasting your time with that joker . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:18 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
real life wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:
Joseph Campbell said that all religions are true in that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble.

Well, I guess good ol' Joe is all we need then. He's apparently got all the answers.

You've missed the point. Metaphors don't exist or not exist; they are not objective reality, they are symbols of experience.

Yes, I know what metaphors are.

And it is simply Campbell's opinion that all religions are metaphorically true.

Why should we accept his opinion as a fact?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:19 pm
Campbellism should be accepted as fact because Campbell said it.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:04 am
Real Puerile says:
Quote:

No one here cares where you work.

Then why do YOU keep bringing it up over and over again. It unfortunate you obviously feel inadequate but I can sure understand why.

Just to remind you how intelligent you aren't. In performance based education the instructor doesn't "close the door and teach whatever they want". They are bound by the stated competencies and objectives of the course. I don't have any issues with that.

You seem to have a problem with authority that others don't. I guess you get pushed around a lot in your life. Crying or Very sad

I spend only a small amount of my time teaching in my (latest) profession. I design training (generally for scientists) and analyze existing training for weaknesses. I teach when asked as an adjunct professor at the university. They also use PBE.

Of course with your limited reading comprehension you missed the fact that I never stated if I agree with Campbell or not. Why would I bother? I just noted you have no idea of what he said yet know he was wrong, which is why I warned other not to attempt discussing it with you. I did note that Campbell is waaaaaay smarter than you but I have met few who aren't. Rolling Eyes

You state nothing but your opinion and that is all we are to expect. We however must meet your definition of fact, even if you have no clue of what you are talking about.

Does God exist? Yes because Real Life says so, he doesn't need to prove anything; he said it that MAKES it so!

You are just upset that I won't play that game and keep pointing out that I have been waiting for you to answer my questions for 5 months and counting. So why would I want to let you continue your M.O. when I get you into another corner.

Now we can add to those: what have YOU done for the country lately? Cool

As always you've left me...

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:48 am
TheCorrectResponse: You're kinda full of yourself aren't you?

Be that as it may - I'm glad that you've got a job.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:59 am
I find it interesting, as RL would say, that you seem to come around when RL and BD get themselves into a corner, that even though you aren't on a thread for most of the posts you seem to show up at exactly the right time, that you have been on few threads they haven't, that you seem to take vacations from the site when they do, come back together, and have nearly the same writing style, including using many identical phrases. Yes it's interesting. :wink:

ROFLMAO!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:02 am
Nice ad homs, as usual, The.

It would be interesting (or maybe not) to hear you explain how I was the one who brought up where you work.

How could I have known what you do for a living?

Can I read your mind and know that you are responsible for training? No, I can't.

You touted your creds in the training field, and really it explains a lot about you.

You want us to regard Campbell as authoritative, but when pressed to defend him, you reply 'go read these books'.

Sorry, The. We're not here to take homework assignments from you.

If you can't support the statements you make, don't make 'em. Easy.

You have a habit of attempting to derail threads , asking non-pertinent questions, and then getting upset when people won't play along 'You won't answer my questions. waaaaaaaaaaaaa'

Really, The, if you want to discuss a different topic you should click the button that allows you to start a new thread. If others are interested in your rabbit trail, they may follow along.

Ashers made the same point that I did (in a much funnier way) :

Ashers wrote:
Campbellism should be accepted as fact because Campbell said it.

If you want to defend Campbell, go for it. I am more than willing to take it apart. Cool
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:04 am
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
I find it interesting, as RL would say, that you seem to come around when RL and BD get themselves into a corner, that even though you aren't on a thread for most of the posts you seem to show up at exactly the right time, that you have been on few threads they haven't, that you seem to take vacations from the site when they do, come back together, and have nearly the same writing style, including using many identical phrases. Yes it's interesting. :wink:

Show where I've used either of the phrases SP just used.

(Hint -- Use the Search function)
0 Replies

southernpride

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:45 am

What corner are RL and BD in? I haven't read about BD for a while and RL looks to be doing just fine. He's got you twisted up like a carnival-pretzel which I find amusing. You're right about me though. I did take a vacation after first getting on here because I needed a little time to learn the lingo. I may not be college educated but I can adapt pretty quickly and took a little time to figure this stuff out. One thing I've figured out is that you say a whole lotta nothin but make it seem important. Or at least you try to. Maybe thats your style or maybe you're not as smart as you want everyone to think. Whatever it is doesn't really matter anyway does it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:04 am
TCR, you're becoming paranoid. Badgod, "real life" and Southernpie all sound the same because they're all puking up the same propaganda--all their preachers have the same play book. There is no reason to assume that they are all one and the same individual, when one considers how wide-spread are the delusions which they share.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:32 pm
Actually real life I was just paraphrasing the strange picture you seemed to have painted in reply to Coluber to try and point out the silliness of it considering what Coluber actually posted and the implications of religion as myth. I think Campbell was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed watching a series of his lectures that were on YouTube at one point.

What you wrote here:

real life wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:

…just didn't seem to follow at all from what Coluber posted which was simply an overview of Campbell's position with regards to religion and myth. At most we might suggest Coluber felt Campbell's view/ideas were worth sharing/consideration (which is a million miles away from being unreasonable surely?) but you seemed to instantly dive in with the polarised attitude of depicting Campbell as having some ideology that was naturally to be fought against like anything else that dissents literal views of religion. That you thought sharing another possibility or idea is akin to asking people to accept facts just seemed peculiar in the extreme to me. Suddenly Campbell has "all the answers", he's "all we need" and Coluber accepts "Joe's opinion as if it were fact" like he's yet another religious authority to be submitted to. Sometimes ideas and perspectives are just that, ideas and perspectives, not ideologies to bash people over the head with.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
TCR, you're becoming paranoid. Badgod, "real life" and Southernpie all sound the same because they're all puking up the same propaganda--all their preachers have the same play book. There is no reason to assume that they are all one and the same individual, when one considers how wide-spread are the delusions which they share.

In addition the basic foundational philosophy they are starting from is not naturalistic, so a similar sequence of logical errors flow from the irrational starting point.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:46 pm
Wo there...I never SAID they were I just said it was interesting. But if I am supposed to believe they are different people they are going to have to provide me proof not just their opinions. :wink:

Besides if they were three different people you'd think one of them could answer my questions wouldn't you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:10 pm
Ashers wrote:
Actually real life I was just paraphrasing the strange picture you seemed to have painted in reply to Coluber to try and point out the silliness of it considering what Coluber actually posted and the implications of religion as myth. I think Campbell was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed watching a series of his lectures that were on YouTube at one point.

What you wrote here:

real life wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:

…just didn't seem to follow at all from what Coluber posted which was simply an overview of Campbell's position with regards to religion and myth. At most we might suggest Coluber felt Campbell's view/ideas were worth sharing/consideration (which is a million miles away from being unreasonable surely?) but you seemed to instantly dive in with the polarised attitude of depicting Campbell as having some ideology that was naturally to be fought against like anything else that dissents literal views of religion. That you thought sharing another possibility or idea is akin to asking people to accept facts just seemed peculiar in the extreme to me. Suddenly Campbell has "all the answers", he's "all we need" and Coluber accepts "Joe's opinion as if it were fact" like he's yet another religious authority to be submitted to. Sometimes ideas and perspectives are just that, ideas and perspectives, not ideologies to bash people over the head with.

hi Ashers,

I don't mind Coluber wanting to share Campbell's views. I welcome it.

He seems to regard them as somewhat authoritative, and I simply asked why we should accept them as anything but opinion.

True , my post was a little sarcastic in tone. Intentionally so, but not in a bad way. No bashing intended at all, just having fun and hope others are as well. Cool
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:15 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

In addition the basic foundational philosophy they are starting from is not naturalistic, so a similar sequence of logical errors flow from the irrational starting point.

Your assumption of naturalism is not a provable position, you've admitted as much.

Therefore, your conclusion that 'anything not based on naturalism is illogical' is not provable either.

One would have to assume your point in order to prove your point. A kind of circular position.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:16 pm
Wo there...I never SAID they were I just said it was interesting. But if I am supposed to believe they are different people they are going to have to provide me proof not just their opinions. :wink:

Got no proof, so mebbe we is, son. Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:28 pm
real life wrote:
Your assumption of naturalism is not a provable position, you've admitted as much.

Correct. But I didn't claim it was provable, only rational.

Nothing in philosophy is provable. Core positions must be chosen, upon which expansions of the base philosophy flow. But if you start from an irrational base, then everything that derives from it is fluid and unmeasurable. This is both the strength and the weakness of supernatural foundations; they are limitlessly flexible, but ultimately meaningless in any external sense. The only thing you can learn from this position are things about yourself.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:59 am
If you're looking for concrete evidence, you cant do better than the Brick Testament.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/

Lego my people
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:18 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Correct. But I didn't claim it was provable, only rational.

Nothing in philosophy is provable. Core positions must be chosen, upon which expansions of the base philosophy flow. But if you start from an irrational base, then everything that derives from it is fluid and unmeasurable. This is both the strength and the weakness of supernatural foundations; they are limitlessly flexible, but ultimately meaningless in any external sense. The only thing you can learn from this position are things about yourself.

There is nothing rational about insisting that your unprovable assumption is the only one that is logical or acceptable. Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:23 am
real life wrote:
There is nothing rational about insisting that your unprovable assumption is the only one that is logical or acceptable. Laughing

I said it was the only assumption which is rational, not the only one that is acceptable.

But I can understand why you would prefer to hide by twisting my words, rather than give real consideration to where your assumptions leave you (inescapably mired in self-delusion).
0 Replies