DOES GOD EXIST?????

real life

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:16 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
for hilarious and bizarre , or bigoted and terrifying quotes from atheists, one need look no further than A2K

Please provide an example or two which we can compare to the creationist insanity displayed on the link Pauligirl provided.

Here, see if you can beat this one:
Quote:
Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

One of my personal favorites from the hilarious category:

Quote:
Genetics is the best example. Evolution predicted that organisms passed on their traits

Here the poster offers 'the best' example he can come up with that evolution, though lacking in detail, is ultimately proven as new knowledge is acquired.

To show this, he says that evolution 'predicted' that organisms pass on their traits.

No kidding.

We had to wait till Darwin to find out that Junior often looks like Dad? Laughing

Mankind has known this for thousands of years. We didn't need a 'prediction' from evolution.

And this was the 'best example'. Laughing
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:46 am
It's always interesting how the question "Does God exist?" elicits such polarizing views, whereas the term "god" in its purest meaning stands for the perception of the unifying principle.

If we confine the term "god" to mean an objective reality--the lowest form of the definition--then we can argue forever with no posible resolution and perpetual conflict, and we will be influenced and ruled by the simplest and shalowest-minded people and politicians, e.g., our present fundamentalist president, who see war and conflict reflecting the basic fundamentalist Christian philosophy of Good perpetually battling Evil.

I repeat: this is the lowest form of religion and a child's view of Christianity.

Joseph Campbell said that all religions are true in that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble. This means that religion, i.e., "God" is a subjective perception or experience, so questions as to God's existence are totally absurd and irrevelent and are merely ways to avoid the reality of eternity--that which is outside the field of time. Eternity is not some arcane concept equivalent to infinity, it is all that exists, the here and now and every animal, plant, and human lives in the field of Eternity. Animals and plants live in this field of Eternity but aren't aware of it. Only beings with a consciousness of time, enigmatically, can transcend that field of time and become aware the Eternity.

I believe it was Jung who said that religion(organized) is an escape or defense from God. This means that ideas or concepts of God are a defense mechanism from the perception of God as a unifying principle.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:59 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Joseph Campbell said that all religions are true in that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble.

Well, I guess good ol' Joe is all we need then. He's apparently got all the answers.

Can you tell me why you would accept Joe's opinion as if it were fact?
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 01:55 pm
The level of RLs responses are truly deep aren't they?

I Hope Hawkey10 see this as it was just as I predicted would happen in the "Evolution in Education" thread when Hawkeye10 brought up Campbell.

Of course RL is an expert in…no..THE expert in everything: religion, every field of science, education, politics, and now mythology. HE AM WHO AM!

Of course you may have to run him down for an answer to a few specific basic questions (How long have you ben' a runnin' now RL, 4-5 months).

But: Have a nice weekend Cool
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 02:11 pm
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
I Hope Hawkey10 see this as it was just as I predicted would happen in the "Evolution in Education" thread when Hawkeye10 brought up Campbell.

Bring up Campbell's assertions as often as you wish, The.

Just be prepared to defend them (which you are not).

Don't expect a free pass bud. Remember , this isn't your classroom where everybody has to buy into what you say.

take good care, The. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 04:32 pm
real life wrote:
One of my personal favorites from the hilarious category:

Quote:
Genetics is the best example. Evolution predicted that organisms passed on their traits

Here the poster offers 'the best' example he can come up with that evolution, though lacking in detail, is ultimately proven as new knowledge is acquired.

It says that "Genetics is the best example". The rest of the sentence (of which you have conveniently selected only the fist part) goes on to describe how a combination of things noted by evolution implied an as-yet undiscovered mechanism later identified as Genetics. So Genetics was predicted, and that was the context of the statement.

I should know because I wrote that quote and have been watching you use it out of context for almost a year now.

So is that really the best you can to do defend your previous remark about atheists being as ridiculous as the creationists displayed in that link? Because if it is, then you're gonna have to do a lot better because the last time I looked Genetics was a fact, while Gravity being caused by sin (just one of the examples I gave) has got to be one of the most dumb-ass things ever to hit the internet.

Here's another good christian...
Quote:
No one knows what's happening until the flood comes (according to Matthew). And the flood is here - it refers to the apocalypse. There is a huge amount of supporting evidence on the site. For example, there is evidence for the wh0re of Babylon due to a 666 mile long penis in Mexico.
alasdair, Christianity Board [Comments (117)] [2006-Dec-02]
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:17 pm
Quote:
Bring up Campbell's assertions as often as you wish, The.

1) I didn't bring up Campbell did I?

Quote:

2) Why don't you go read Campbell's 15 or so books, of which at least 5 are classics and have been used in Universities across the world for…oh…50 years or so. OHHH that's right, you don't need to know the facts before you refute them you just get to make things up in your little head and it becomes reality.

Quote:
Don't expect a free pass bud. Remember , this isn't your classroom where everybody has to buy into what you say.

3) I am going to let you post this asinine statement one more time before I explain performance based education to you once again and help you make an ass out of yourself for the umpteenth time.

Here's a hint: that doesn't fly anywhere, except of course in your mind. That would include the D.I.A. I am sure it will really make the day of a right wing nut job like you that I taught some of those guys how to teach; funny that they didn't request the great Real Life, such a pity. That way it wouldn't have been my classroom "where everybody has to buy into what you say".

4) I am still waiting on you to enlighten me on the basics of the physics of the "here and now" as you put it. And will keep posting that request to remind you that you are fooling no one here.

Sleep tight knowing that I've helped to keep the country strong! What have you done for here lately spaceman. Cool

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:06 pm
TheCorrectResponse wrote:

Quote:

2) Why don't you go read Campbell's 15 or so books

You want to chime in with a hearty amen, so why don't you defend the doctrine?

You like to tout your creds as a trainer/educator, but you don't seem to have the slightest idea that you can't just go around handing out homework assignments to bolster your superior attitude.

You like Campbell? Back it up. Why should anyone take Campbell's opinions as fact?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:12 pm
some say god is all powerful, i say god is the most powerful.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 12:31 pm
RL:
Unfortunately for you I've learned your game (as have most here); you who refute the experts in every field and then accuse others of "touting" their knowledge. Why would I discuss someone with you whose ideas you are totally unfamiliar but already know are wrong?

Why would I feel able to discuss anything with someone who can tell us when the bible is being literal or not and coincidentally ANYWHERE the bible disagrees with you it is not being literal, as in BDV post. The rule of thumb: if R.L. and the bible disagree it is the bible that got it wrong! Laughing

You tell us that greatest minds in cosmology are wrong about an event you don't believe happened. Then when I point out you are so dumb you don't even realize you are using classical physics (and incorrectly) to describe a quantum mechanical scenario and I ask you basic physics questions you run for 5 months because you can't answer them and can't stand to admit you don't have any idea what you are talking about. You know more than the best in the field you just don't know any basics.

It tickles me no end that my knowledge and skills rub you the wrong way. My knowledge is limited to a few specific fields and you can't deal with it yet you run over this board spouting comments about any and everything. I don't know which is more fun, being able to work in multiple enjoyable fields or knowing that it really p*sses you off! Laughing

Well one things for certain my prediction to Hawkeye10 was spot on! Laughing

Still waiting for those answers Laughing

ROFLMAO!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 02:19 pm
The,

No one here cares where you work.

You're used to giving out orders at work and passing out homework assignments. And that's fine.

But you're not there now.

You're here. Get used to the difference.

So, instead of telling someone, 'why don't you go and read.......' , you need to be able to personally defend the ideas that you endorse.

You claim Campbell as authoritative, but there's no reason that anyone should accept Campbell's opinions as authoritative just because you say so.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 03:16 pm
Does God exist?

I cant give you an answer until you define what you mean by "God". How do you define that simple 3 letter word?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:34 pm
It doesn't matter if s/he does. Willful neglect appears to be its modus operandii, so it may as well not exist.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:44 am
Wilful neglect? Who's sending all those thunderbolts and arrows of pestilence? Is that what God is? Someone to be appeased, bought off with piety and sacrifice? Or is God of infinite mercy? God is clearly many things to many people. Lucas Cranach painted some truly fine portraits of Martin Luther. He also did a few of God. Cranach knew what God was like, was he right?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:45 pm
Of course god exists. Otherwise, what are we talking about?
Right? Confused
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:12 pm
This thread is more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters: 'Where God Went Wrong', 'Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes' and 'Who is this God Person Anyway?'"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:36 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Of course god exists. Otherwise, what are we talking about?
Right? Confused
a useful shorthand concept summarising all we don't, can't or perhaps will never be able to understand. Just like all the other gods that have come and gone throughout human history. Does the sun god exist? Did the Sun God exist for ancient Egyptians?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:54 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
a useful shorthand concept summarising all we don't, can't or perhaps will never be able to understand. Just like all the other gods that have come and gone throughout human history. Does the sun god exist? Did the Sun God exist for ancient Egyptians?

God is a malleable concept, able to fit whatever is needed by anyone at any given time. Very versatile of it. Smile
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:17 pm
real life wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:
Joseph Campbell said that all religions are true in that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble.

Well, I guess good ol' Joe is all we need then. He's apparently got all the answers.

Can you tell me why you would accept Joe's opinion as if it were fact?

You've missed the point. Metaphors don't exist or not exist; they are not objective reality, they are symbols of experience.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:49 pm
I think that because Joseph Campbell was not a literalist, he is an easy target to the simplistic literalist who can only think of spirituality in terms of spiritual materialism. Alan Watts compared this to a person who sits down in a restaurant and eats the menu.

Truly spiritual people like Campbell live razor-thin moderate lives imcomprehensible to literalitsts. Moderates are always the targets of extremists whether spiritual or not, e.g., the true antagonist of a Communist is a moderate, not a fascist. And a true religious believer and literalist has much more in common with an athiest than either do with
spiritual moderates like Campbell. That's because Campbell operates from experience while atheists and believers operate from the belief or disbelief of a concept.
0 Replies