Libs in San Francisco: Progressive, what?

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:09 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 651 • Replies: 11
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:54 am
"Protest Zones" are a joke.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:42 pm
maporsche wrote:

The question is this:

Is this practiced only by the libs in San Francisco, or is duplicity a liberal tendency nationwide?

Seriously, what does it take for the libs on AK2 to come out and debate a topic that is not a slam dunk for them?

How do they defend the stance of the San Francisco supervisors? But then again, why should I expect honest dialogue from the libs here? They tend to shy away from any questions or threads where they have to defend or explain the actions of their leaders.

If I want dialogue, I guess I need to post something like 'Rush supports a black president'...

That will get the progressive intellect up and running...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:45 pm
A Lone Voice wrote:
maporsche wrote:

The question is this:

Is this practiced only by the libs in San Francisco, or is duplicity a liberal tendency nationwide?

Seriously, what does it take for the libs on AK2 to come out and debate a topic that is not a slam dunk for them?

How do they defend the stance of the San Francisco supervisors? But then again, why should I expect honest dialogue from the libs here? They tend to shy away from any questions or threads where they have to defend or explain the actions of their leaders.

If I want dialogue, I guess I need to post something like 'Rush supports a black president'...

Gavin Newsome - mayor of SF - is liberal on some issues, but not all of them. I don't agree with free speech zones, but I understand that the guy doesn't want an international incident in his town.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:14 pm
Re: Libs in San Francisco: Progressive, what?
A Lone Voice wrote:
One of the things I've noticed about libs..L

And one thing I have noticed about righties is take away strawman arguments and other logical fallacies and they'd have no arguments at all.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:58 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:
maporsche wrote:

The question is this:

Gavin Newsome - mayor of SF - is liberal on some issues, but not all of them. I don't agree with free speech zones, but I understand that the guy doesn't want an international incident in his town.

Cycloptichorn

That's like saying: Barrack Obama - Illinois Junior Senator - is liberal on some issues, but not all of them.

What is it supposed to mean? Is it even mildly inaccurate to refer to Newsome as a "liberal?"

I can't imagine what the international incident might be.

Last time I checked, it won't be diplomats from the People's Republic of China carrying the torch through San Fran.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:04 pm
the people of Enid Oklahoma have voted to nuke "San Fran" or even "Frisco" or whatever the unwashed call it these days all in the spirit of truth, justice and the american way. Should they add Boulder Co/Portland/NYC/Boston and the general north-east. In your heart you know they might.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
the people of Enid Oklahoma have voted to nuke "San Fran" or even "Frisco" or whatever the unwashed call it these days all in the spirit of truth, justice and the american way. Should they add Boulder Co/Portland/NYC/Boston and the general north-east. In your heart you know they might.

I knew I liked those Okies from Enid.

Please tell them not to forget Berkeley and Seattle.

Also please tell them not to be too indiscriminate in the North East as there are plenty of pockets of good Americans living outside of the cities. Better they should simply target Boston, Stamford, Howard Dean's house, and the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont.

While they're out at, if they are honest with themselves, they'll send a cruise missile Merle Haggard's way --- the old fart has gone liberal on us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:03 pm
Wonderful the Fisco hatred. Matches with the Cali love.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:58 pm
Interesting. Only a guy from Berkeley would think of Gavin Newsome as a moderate. Actually, I'm kidding. But you do realize most of the country, unwashed masses you might think them to be, consider him pretty liberal?

Roxxxane: The strawman argument tends to lose its effectiveness after you use it every time you want to counter a point you don't agree with. Come up with an original thought, Babe.

dyslexia: you remain my favorite anarchist on AK2.

In addition to the clever quips, though, I notice the lack of support from the progressives here for their San Francisco brethren. Or do you condone their actions with your silence?

So, you don't agree with protest zones? Does that mean you view the San Francisco Board of Supervisors as nothing more than political hacks? Or is liberal loyalty in the way?

I notice a quick trend in politicizing/protesting/criticizing protest zones by the libs when the bad guys, as you think of them, put them up. Why is this different?

Or are you people no better than repub party hacks?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:46 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

I knew I liked those Okies from Enid.

Please tell them not to forget Berkeley and Seattle.

Also please tell them not to be too indiscriminate in the North East as there are plenty of pockets of good Americans living outside of the cities. Better they should simply target Boston, Stamford, Howard Dean's house, and the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont.

While they're out at, if they are honest with themselves, they'll send a cruise missile Merle Haggard's way --- the old fart has gone liberal on us.

They can nuke Ben and Jerry, but leave the ice cream alone!!!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:39 am
A Lone Voice wrote:

Roxxxane: The strawman argument tends to lose its effectiveness after you use it every time you want to counter a point you don't agree with. Come up with an original thought, Babe.

LOL Lone Voice you countered your own argument by implicitly admitting it is a straw man, which is a logical fallacy and not valid.

Quote:
A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw man argument" is to describe a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view but is easier to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent (for example, deliberately overstating the opponent's position).[1] A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.[2]

Its name is derived from the practice of using straw men in combat training. In such training, a scarecrow is made in the image of the enemy with the single intent of attacking it[3]. Such a target is, naturally, immobile and does not fight back, and is not as realistic to test skill against compared to a live and armed opponent. It is occasionally called a straw dog fallacy, scarecrow argument, or wooden dummy argument.

A straw man argument can be set up in several ways, including:

1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.[1]
2. Quoting an opponent's words out of context -- i.e., choosing quotations that are not representative of the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).[2]
3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender and then refuting that person's arguments, thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position, and thus the position itself, has been defeated.[1]
4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs that are criticized, such that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking the simplified version.

---wikepedia

You took the views of one person or a handful of persons and tried to attribute them to all liberals in San Francisco. Of course, that is not only illogical (even though you can't logically assume all progressives in San Francisco have the same views as Newsome vis a vis protest zones ,it is possible that many of them do) but it is factually incorrect. All I hear form the liberal community is that they (we) are incensed over Nesome's handling of the torch run.

That said, the protest was successful beyond belief as even John McCain and Bush have adopted some of our demands.

And I got to see Richard Gere up close, he is incredibly hot for a man his age. (Bishop Tutu is not bad either) Smile

Frisco is a town in Texas!!!
0 Replies