MLK

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:39 pm
"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism. With this powerful commitment we shall boldly challenge the status quo, we shall boldly challenge unjust mores, and thereby speed up the day when "every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the rough places shall be made plain, and the crooked places straight. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."

A genuine revolution of values means in the final analysis that our loyalties must become ecumenical rather than sectional. Every nation must now develop an overriding loyalty to mankind as a whole in order to preserve the best in their individual societies. This call for a worldwide fellowship that lifts neighborly concern beyond one's tribe, race, class, and nation is in reality a call for an all-embracing, unconditional love for all men. This oft misunderstood and misinterpreted concept, so readily dismissed by the Nietzsches of the world as a weak and cowardly force, has now become an absolute necessity for the survival of mankind. And when I speak of love I'm not speaking of some sentimental and weak response. I am speaking of that force which all of the great religions have seen as the supreme unifying principle of life. Love is somehow the key that unlocks the door which leads to ultimate reality. This Hindu-Muslim-Christian-Jewish-Buddhist belief about ultimate reality is beautifully summed up in the first epistle of John: "Let us love one another, for God is love. And every one that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God, for God is love. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us and his love is perfected in us."
link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 463 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hanno

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:52 pm
I'd have been for Malcolm X - I mean, if it's on it's on. Would have been scary for a while but the end result would have been stable and equitable - everybody aware of what time it is. And blown away with a sawed-off-shotgun for not being a tool - Amen Brother! He died for our sins.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:59 pm
Blueflame
is anatomy destiny?
Is not tread destiny?
MLK= USA( for me)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:03 pm
Let the passions and bonds pass-by
Who has lived in this land forever?
Path of arrival is known - but
Path of departure and the route unknown.
If all who came opt to stay
Where's the space in this sphere?
Life is just a business -in which
the birth is credit and death is debit.
------------------------------ Tamil poet kannadasan------------
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 05:54 am
Honoring King is Not Enough

by Marian Wright Edelman

The day after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot, I went out into the riot-torn Washington, D.C., streets and into schools in those neighborhoods scorched by flames to talk to the children. I went to tell them not to loot and raid, so that they would not get arrested and ruin their futures. A young black boy about 12 or 13 years old looked squarely at me and said, "Lady, what future? I ain't got no future. I ain't got nothing to lose." This young boy spoke the plain truth for himself and millions like him.

Since then, I've spent my life trying to prove this boy wrong. I had no idea how hard it would be, for despite great progress over the past 40 years, so much peril still remains to snuff out the hopes, dreams and lives of millions of our children.

In 1968, in his last Sunday sermon at Washington National Cathedral, Dr. King retold the parable of the rich man, Dives, and the poor man, Lazarus, and reminded us that, "a man went to hell because he didn't see the poor."

"And this could happen to America, the richest nation in the world," he warned.

"There is nothing new about poverty," he said. "What is new is that we now have the means and the know-how to lift every child out of poverty. The real question is whether we have the will!"

So as we mark another anniversary of Dr. King's death, we should also remember that 2008 marks the 40th anniversary of his Poor People's Campaign. The Poor People's Campaign challenged our nation to end the poverty afflicting millions of Americans of all races and confront the entrenched triple evils of racism, excessive materialism in the face of poverty and militarism that threaten our nation and world.

In this rich nation of ours, in 2008, there are 36.5 million Americans still living in poverty, including nearly 13 million children. There are 47 million people in America who have no health coverage, and 9.4 million of those are children.

Too many of us would rather celebrate than follow Dr. King. Some of us have enshrined Dr. King the dreamer, but have ignored Dr. King the disturber of all unjust peace. Many celebrate King the orator, but ignore his words and warnings about the need for reordering the misguided values and priorities he believed to be the seeds of America's downfall. Many remember King the vocal opponent of violence, but not King who called for massive nonviolent civil disobedience to challenge the stockpiling of weapons of death and the wars they fuel.

We choose to ignore his warning that the excessive materialism of the greedy deprives the needy of the basic necessities of life. And as many of us trivialize or sanitize Dr. King's words, we would rather build a monument or name a street or school after him than build the new nation and world he called for. His greatness lay in his willingness to struggle to hear and see the truth; to not give into fear, uncertainty and despair; to continue to grow and to never lose hope, despite every discouragement from his government and even his closest friends and advisers.

Today Dr. King would be delighted that there are thousands of black and brown elected officials across the land and in the corridors of power in many sectors. But he would be appalled that a black boy born in 2001 has a one-in-three chance of going to prison in his lifetime and a Latino boy a one-in-six chance; that 87 percent of black, 83 percent of Latino and 58 percent of white 4th graders cannot read at grade level. He would be outraged that 580,000 black males are serving sentences in state and federal prisons, while fewer than 40,000 black males earn a bachelor's degree each year. And he would be challenging us to root out the still glaring and subtle racial disparities in all our child-serving systems and major institutions in America, which reflect the continued vibrancy of racism in our society.

If we really care about this nation's future, we must assign ourselves the personal responsibility to be a voice for justice for children and the poor in these scary and turbulent times. We still face the threats Dr. King spoke of: war, terrorism and greed in uncertain economic times.

A lot of people are waiting for Dr. King to reappear and save us, but he's not coming back--we're it. Some people think that if we just elect a new president and Congress, every problem will be solved. A caring president and a more enlightened Congress will make a difference, but they won't bring the transforming changes our nation and the world need if we don't build the movement to push them. It took the Civil Rights Movement to make Presidents John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson and Congress respond.

Too many of our children are still in failing schools or living in violent neighborhoods. Their parents are working hard but cannot bring home enough to provide them secure shelter, food and adequate care. We need a new movement to secure our future and our promises to our children. Whatever the risk, each of us must demand that our leaders listen, then act in the best interest of all our children. You and I must also do the right thing for children--right now. You and I must vote, organize and inform ourselves about how well our leaders are protecting children, and then hold them accountable.

We do not have a money problem in America; we have a profound values and priorities problem. Imagine the kind of nation and world we could build if we decided that people are more important than profit and property. How truly wonderful America would be if, as Dr. King urged, we really invested in peace rather than war. We must never give in to despair or give up. We must keep moving.

I first heard and was inspired by Dr. King in 1960, when he spoke at my alma mater, Spelman College, in Sisters Chapel. He told us to always keep moving: "If you cannot fly, drive; if you cannot drive, run; if you cannot run, walk; if you cannot walk, crawl. But keep moving. Keep moving forward." And fight with all our might those who seek to move us backwards. We must keep these words in mind to continue the fight to fulfill Dr. King's vision of a new world and beloved community for all our children.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:43 am
40 Years after MLK's Death: DOJ's War on Black Voters
Posted April 4, 2008 | 03:01 PM (EST)

by Art Levine

While remembering the life and death of Dr. Martin Luther King, it's worth noting that Republican operatives and the Bush administration's Department of Justice have turned back the clock on civil rights. They have created a new set of Jim Crow-like policies and strategies with a still-active goal: stopping blacks, who lean Democratic, from casting ballots that count.

Have Justice Department officials and GOP loyalists become essentially an upscale, white-collar version of the Klan, armed with voting lists on their Palm Pilots rather than burning crosses and guns to keep blacks from voting?

This week, a series of articles have been published online underscoring the ways that the racist restrictions of the past have been revived, in often disturbing ways. In the Huffington Post, I reported how the FBI ignored threats to jail voters in Dallas during a hard-fought 2006 state legislative race. The Campaign Legal Center today demanded an in-depth Justice Department probe of its failure to investigate this blatant violations of civil rights.

The full story behind these sorts of vote-suppressing schemes is told in the latest issue of The American Prospect, which explores, in "The Republican War on Voting," how local, state and federal officials and GOP operatives targeted the community group ACORN with phony claims of voter fraud because of its successful voter registration drives. The claims of widespread voter fraud live on in briefs supporting the Indiana photo ID law filed by the federal government, the state and conservative Republicans now before the Supreme Court.

What was once primarily a series of tactics stretching back from the evil days of the poll tax in the 1960s to "caging" and photo ID today, has become official Justice Department policy -- either by ignoring threats to black voting rights or active steps to disenfanchise them and most other low-income minorities. Steve Rosenfeld in Social Policy looks at the full scope of vote-suppression strategies pursued by the Justice Department, pulling together a complete picture of its lawsuits, rulings and advisory actions aimed at promoting photo ID, ignoring threats to the civil rights of blacks and promoting massive purging of voter rolls.

As Project Vote noted in an overview of these articles:
link
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:15 pm
Admiring the honourable persons is not bad.
Adoring others are not nice.
MLK is a jewel,
I am
Rama
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:20 pm
The whole word's DREAM remains unfulfilled.
Now-a days none care American Dreams but the DREAMS OF AMERICANS are vital.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:48 pm
"The greatest blunders,
like the thickest ropes,
are often compounded of a multitude of strands.
Take the rope apart, separate it into the small threads that compose it, and you can break them one by one.
You think, 'That is all there was!'
But twist them all together and you have something tremendous." - Victor Hugo
0 Replies