real life

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:45 am
Re: Evolution in Education
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Please review the analogy I included above. It demonstrates how the initiator of a process is not necessarily a part of the resulting process, even though one leads to the other. Here it is AGAIN:
rosborne979 wrote:
When you study the process of combustion in a combustion engine, you don't necessarily study the starter motor, because it's not part of the combustion process. You can know a lot about the combustion process without ever knowing what started it.

bad analogy

Perfect analogy. The thing that started the process isn't necessarily the same as the process itself.

Is anyone else having trouble following this, or is it just RL?

compression is a NECESSARY part of the process, ros

compression is produced by the movement of the pistons

not much of a mechanic?

A better one than you are apparently. The starter motor isn't a necessary part of a running engine, it can be removed completely once the engine is running without effect. It's only necessary to begin the process. Thus the analogy is fine.

But since it is necessary, it is part of the process.

Same with abiogenesis. I have referenced well known evolutionists who refer to it as 'the first step ' in evolution.

You want to deny it, but you're on sinking sand. Your analogy didn't help you at all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:27 am
rl
Quote:
Abiogenesis/Evolution are taught in the public schools in one slick package.

Prominent evolutionists (that I have quoted on A2K) refer to abiogenesis as 'the first step in evolution'.

While the first statement is not true in almost all public schools, I say, why not? WHen we have the evidence to support an abiogenesis story , why not use it and discuss it as a HYPOTHESIS?

For example, we know, from a chemical atratigraphic record that the planet went through several environmental stages that evidenced major excesses of such gases as methane, then acidic dissociates, then the emergence of a toxic off gas called oxygen. We also know that lifes fossil evidence clearly shows that life began simply and , also manifested itself in kind with thee various toxic environments.

No evidence exists anywhere that life emerged "fully formed" as you have been preaching.

I for one, dont feel the need to hide these facts and , in classes, we usually discuss the topic of lifes emeregence within specific group seminars.

As far as public schools, Id have my doubts whether public school teachers are sufficiently trained in the most recent happenings in the serch for lifes origins to be able to m ake a cogent story. The NCSE does have lots of resources on its web site , but it too presumes a certain level of interest or experience.

Im kind of sitting here smiling at RL's consistent MO, which is to dive into and direct a topic away from the main subject by focusing on semantics.

I guess if its all youve got in your quiver RL, you use what you have.

The abaiogenesis story is rather slick isnt it? its easy to comprehend, easy to understand in its chemical nature, follows a logical progression of enviro- chemical events and occurs within the vast majority of time on this planet.
0 Replies

PONKOM

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:38 am
spacemanspiff1313 wrote:
If Christianity and Evolution are both theories why is Evolution taught in the public schools. Question ,couldn't you just not deal with origin?
Why not?

Because no one believe Christianity is a true theary about nature.

Christianity can only be a guidance for human's social activities.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:45 am
LEWIS BLACK ON CREATIONISM
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:54 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
evolution should be taught in science class because that is our origin according to science. There should be a class that teaches the role of religion in society, and in that class intelligent design should be touched on, with instructions to seek further info from religion if one is interested in learning more.

A perfectly sensible proposal, which has been made to the religionists often enough. They are not eager to take this up, however, because it fails to challenge a thesis which they see as a lethal challenge to the authority of their orthodoxy.

We've got religionists here at this site who have made just the same reasonable suggestion--who must have been admonished by their bear-leaders, because they now insist that "intelligent design" be included in science instruction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:15 am
rosborne979 wrote:
A better one than you are apparently. The starter motor isn't a necessary part of a running engine, it can be removed completely once the engine is running without effect. It's only necessary to begin the process. Thus the analogy is fine.

An even better statement of the analogy would be to refer to the early automobiles which were started with a hand crank. You had better remove that once the engine was running, because if you lost it while driving, you'd have to get another one before you could start you car again, and you be obliged to walk to the dealership to get one.

Quote:
Is anyone else having trouble following this, or is it just RL?

The member "real life" probably doesn't really have any problem following the argument, it is more likely a case of his typical stubborn insistence on his polemic, which he is only able to defend by a selective examination of the principles involved.

This is reminiscent of the "Evolution? How?" thread, in which the author very quickly disappeared. These religious types who initiate these kinds of discussion are not really interested in actually defending their positions, they just want to cast scorn upon something with which they disagree, but which they are not prepared to argue about point for point. The author of this thread may reappear, but i doubt it.

The member "real life" is prepared to argue, but not in a sensible fashion. He is only prepared to discuss this issue in his own terms, and especially to only argue on the basis of his own definitions, and his own distorted misstatements of scientific principles.

The initial poster asks why origins have to be discussed at all. A salutary question, and one which the scientists answer honestly by saying that they don't know to a certainty how life originated, that being a subject for speculation. The "real life" types in this world find that offensive, because they "know" the origin of the life--POOF ! ! ! it appeared when their imaginary friend willed it.

A theory of evolution describes a process. It is not concerned with origins. The member "real life" wants to insist upon a discussion of origins, because he is so ill-equipped to argue the fine points of a theory of evolution unless he intends to be obtuse, and to distort the terms of the science involved. There can be two methods of discussing the origins question. One is to discuss cosmic origins, which he loves to do, with all sorts of stupid and false references to physical "laws," such as his famous and idiotic references to the second law of thermodynamics. He is much more comfortable with that discussion, because he thinks he can more easily discredit scientific speculation on the subject by using the very words of science. It does not disturb him that he must practice deceit and willfully distort, because that's his stock in trade anyway.

But a theory of evolution does not specify nor rely upon any principle or statement of cosmic origins. For the practical purpose of discussing the evolution of life forms, evolutionary theory "doesn't care" what cosmic origins one stipulates, which is why there are theistic believers in a theory of evolution. So "real life" would rather discuss the origins of life. He is on no more solid ground, of course, because "poofism" is hardly the least absurd thesis which one can offer for the origins of life. But he scents an area in which he can heap ridicule on his interlocutor, because, if you get sucked into "real life's" game, you will be answering his questions, but he won't be answering yours.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:40 am
real life wrote:
But since it is necessary, it is part of the process.

Same with abiogenesis. I have referenced well known evolutionists who refer to it as 'the first step ' in evolution.

You want to deny it, but you're on sinking sand. Your analogy didn't help you at all.

At least my head is above the sand. Yours is buried in it (by choice).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:56 am
Setanta wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
evolution should be taught in science class because that is our origin according to science. There should be a class that teaches the role of religion in society, and in that class intelligent design should be touched on, with instructions to seek further info from religion if one is interested in learning more.

A perfectly sensible proposal, which has been made to the religionists often enough. They are not eager to take this up, however, because it fails to challenge a thesis which they see as a lethal challenge to the authority of their orthodoxy.

We've got religionists here at this site who have made just the same reasonable suggestion--who must have been admonished by their bear-leaders, because they now insist that "intelligent design" be included in science instruction.

Why should we allow government employees to indoctrinate children as to what the 'role of religion' is?

'The role of religion' implies what is and is not the 'proper place' for religion.

It implies moral judgement on whether specific religious practices and beliefs adhere to 'their place' in society.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:07 am
You'll have to take that up with Hawkeye--he wrote the passage i quoted, which you conveniently ignore, because you'd rather lash out at me. I only quoted him because he makes the point about separating religion from science.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:30 am
real life wrote:
Why should we allow government employees to indoctrinate children as to what the 'role of religion' is?

'The role of religion' implies what is and is not the 'proper place' for religion.

It implies moral judgement on whether specific religious practices and beliefs adhere to 'their place' in society.

The churches indoctrinate, the schools teach the historian's and sociologist's view on what role religion plays in society. Ignoring what has been a foundation of all cultures would be mis educating our youth, promoting religion would be violating the separation of church and state. Religion can be taught in such a way that it neither promotes nor discredits, but does explain why and how religion has been so important to so many people for so long.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 11:11 am
Setanta wrote:
You'll have to take that up with Hawkeye--he wrote the passage i quoted, which you conveniently ignore, because you'd rather lash out at me. I only quoted him because he makes the point about separating religion from science.

You seemed to agree with him, so I quoted you both, hoping to hear an elaboration of your views.

Apparently you are declining to defend such a notion after all.

Not a prob. take care
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 11:18 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
real life wrote:

The churches indoctrinate, the schools teach the historian's and sociologist's view on what role religion plays in society. Ignoring what has been a foundation of all cultures would be mis educating our youth, promoting religion would be violating the separation of church and state. Religion can be taught in such a way that it neither promotes nor discredits, but does explain why and how religion has been so important to so many people for so long.

So give an example of how you would teach this in a classroom.

What would you, if you were the teacher, say about the origin of religion (historical view) and it's role in society (sociological view).

Remember, you are to neither promote, nor discredit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:10 pm
real life wrote:
What would you, if you were the teacher, say about the origin of religion (historical view) and it's role in society (sociological view).

Courses like that have been taught for at least the last 35 years. If you're interested, I'm sure you can find a curriculum.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:23 pm
spacemanspiff1313 wrote:
If Christianity and Evolution are both theories why is Evolution taught in the public schools. Question ,couldn't you just not deal with origin?
Why not?

Because the commie bastards who run the US pubic schools want to indoctrinate the entire world.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:28 pm
gungasnake wrote:
spacemanspiff1313 wrote:
Why not?

Because the commie bastards who run the US pubic schools want to indoctrinate the entire world.

Yeah, science is a commie plot. We need look no further than the space race to see that it was all because of the commies.

Without those commies we would all be happily sitting around eating TV dinners and watching "Leave it to Beaver" while hoping we aren't interrupted by the ringing of our dial telephone.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:40 pm
real life wrote:

I am sure that there are many ways to go. What I would do is take joseph campbell's tack of talking about how so far as we know man has always lived myth, without talking about why or where it comes from or if you should believe in any myth. Talk about he major themes of myth and then talk about how religion takes those myths and codifies them, how societies have organized around religion, talk about the flavor of each of the major religions. Probably would want to compare and contrast the major religious texts as well. The tone is "this is how man has lived" without moralizing about it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:48 pm
gungasnake wrote:
spacemanspiff1313 wrote:
Why not?

Spoken like a true paranoid snake.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:00 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
real life wrote:

I am sure that there are many ways to go. What I would do is take joseph campbell's tack of talking about how so far as we know man has always lived myth, without talking about why or where it comes from or if you should believe in any myth. Talk about he major themes of myth and then talk about how religion takes those myths and codifies them, how societies have organized around religion, talk about the flavor of each of the major religions. Probably would want to compare and contrast the major religious texts as well. The tone is "this is how man has lived" without moralizing about it.

That's very nice, but I'm sure the creationists will want everyone to understand that despite how nice that all sounds, anyone who isn't a good god-fearing christian is going to BURN IN HELL FOREVER, amen. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:42 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

You seemed to agree with him, so I quoted you both, hoping to hear an elaboration of your views.

Apparently you are declining to defend such a notion after all.

Not a prob. take care

I am not declining to defend the notion that religious superstition has no place in science classes. I am not failing to point out that several religious types at this site have said as much, before changing their tune to call for the inclusion of "intelligent design" in science classes.

Your rhetorical style is truly pathetic. Fortunately, i'm immune to pathos, so you get no sympathy from me for your consistent failing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 02:19 pm
Intelligent Design is a belief, pure and simple. Therefore, as a pure belief, it cannot be evidenced, So,,If no evidence exists, the belief in it depends upon the supernatural. If its run by the Department of the Supernatural, It is therefore a religion.
Also, unless our heads were up our asses,we all remember that The 3rd District Court has, in 2005 ruled that Intelligent Design is religion and therefore violates the"free expression and establishment clauses " of the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution.

Whats so difficult, and why has this debate devolved into personalities in just 4 pages? It took at least 40 pages of actual debate before we got all "ATTITUDED UP" over on the Intelligent Design Thread Very Happy
0 Replies