Buddha Bashing Thread

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:27 am
What kind of bullshit is this?

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

1. Life means suffering.

To live means to suffer, because the human nature is not perfect and neither is the world we live in. During our lifetime, we inevitably have to endure physical suffering such as pain, sickness, injury, tiredness, old age, and eventually death; and we have to endure psychological suffering like sadness, fear, frustration, disappointment, and depression. Although there are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness, life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

The origin of suffering is attachment to transient things and the ignorance thereof. Transient things do not only include the physical objects that surround us, but also ideas, and -in a greater sense- all objects of our perception. Ignorance is the lack of understanding of how our mind is attached to impermanent things. The reasons for suffering are desire, passion, ardour, pursuit of wealth and prestige, striving for fame and popularity, or in short: craving and clinging. Because the objects of our attachment are transient, their loss is inevitable, thus suffering will necessarily follow. Objects of attachment also include the idea of a "self" which is a delusion, because there is no abiding self. What we call "self" is just an imagined entity, and we are merely a part of the ceaseless becoming of the universe.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

The cessation of suffering can be attained through nirodha. Nirodha means the unmaking of sensual craving and conceptual attachment. The third noble truth expresses the idea that suffering can be ended by attaining dispassion. Nirodha extinguishes all forms of clinging and attachment. This means that suffering can be overcome through human activity, simply by removing the cause of suffering. Attaining and perfecting dispassion is a process of many levels that ultimately results in the state of Nirvana. Nirvana means freedom from all worries, troubles, complexes, fabrications and ideas. Nirvana is not comprehensible for those who have not attained it.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

There is a path to the end of suffering - a gradual path of self-improvement, which is described more detailed in the Eightfold Path. It is the middle way between the two extremes of excessive self-indulgence (hedonism) and excessive self-mortification (asceticism); and it leads to the end of the cycle of rebirth. The latter quality discerns it from other paths which are merely "wandering on the wheel of becoming", because these do not have a final object. The path to the end of suffering can extend over many lifetimes, throughout which every individual rebirth is subject to karmic conditioning. Craving, ignorance, delusions, and its effects will disappear gradually, as progress is made on the path.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 820 • Replies: 13
No top replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:14 pm
eschews me
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:24 pm
Since the topic of this thread is about a religion
I appeal the moderators to shift the topic under Relgion .
I am a die hard athiest
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:30 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Since the topic of this thread is about a religion
I appeal the moderators to shift the topic under Relgion .
I am a die hard athiest

You're just upset that your Easter thread got bumped.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:34 pm
He was a fat bastard.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:35 pm
Engneer
I respect the views of administrator and moderatorts.
I an boomerang all the religious.
Sorry
Rama
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:55 pm
Moreover

"when a man has PITY on the LIVIING creatures
then ONLY is he noble."--- Buddha
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:52 am
more or less, it's:

* keeping up with the jones is bullshit.

* realizing that keeping up with the jones is bullshit is liberation. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:19 pm
Dont ever bash Buddha. Mad
Hindus are my best friends.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:07 pm
I was born in Hindu family sir.
I know something about religion .
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:36 pm
Hey Ramafuchs I didn't know... Very Happy
Good to know that. I had a feeling that you were somehow connected from you username.

"Rama"... but the "fuchs" made me think twice. Laughing

I have many Hindu and Muslims friends. I always defend them both. Cool
My doc is non-zionist Jew (aka selfhating) and I defend them too.

Well I have a new friend on here. :wink:
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:41 pm
I am an athiest and a critical citizen who wish to expose Hypocracy and spread decency, Democracy.
As a rational person I uphold the civil courage and social justice.
Hope I had hinted that I am not qualified to be a citizen of
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 03:36 pm
"Franklin Roosevelt was right.
Fear itself is still the first enemy.
When people are scared, they don't think, they don't reason and they want nothing so desperately as to just stop being scared.
So often, they'll go along with anything that holds out that promise.
Even if it means allowing the rights our forebears won from Britain's King George III to be denuded by America's King George...

"Freedom deserves a better epitaph than fear."

Leonard Pitts,
Miami Herald
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:37 pm
Zippo
may I ask one simple q?
Do you think that civilized citizens are two-legged animals?
0 Replies