Recall is it a political trend or a passing fancy?

au1929

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:07 am
Recall efforts gaining steam -- in Nevada
LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- Emboldened by recall efforts in California, a group of Nevada conservatives upset about the largest tax increase in state history began recall proceedings Wednesday against the popular Republican governor.

Is this the start of a trend and a new wrinkle in American politics? What is your opinion will the threat of recall make elected officials more responsive, will it have the negative effect of making them overly cautious or is it just a waste of time and resources and will soon pass from the political scene?
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/08/28/nevada.recall.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 903 • Replies: 16
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:12 am
From the polls I've seen it looks like many Californian's will be rethinking the whole recall issue. The current recall attempt against Davis is a bit of a farce in many ways and hasn't reflected on the state in a postive way.

I suppose it is possible to have a recall in a better manner but things became a bit of chaos out there. I think many who might have supported a recall process in other states 6 months ago would be hesitant to do so now.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:39 am
If nothing else, the politicians would be extremely foolish if they didn't revisit their own entity's recall election laws and rewrite those that are as badly written as the ones here in California.

I personally think it is poetic justice that their own badly written laws they allowed to pass are coming 'round to bite them in the arse. I just wish the retribution was not also ripping chunks of flesh from the civilians.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:53 pm
A recall should be required as an impeachment requires that the elected official has broken the law. The way it is written is deceiving the public and does not assure that the person elected to replace the official has any better record or any viable plan to correct what they perceive as "mistakes" that can be entirely blamed on the individual. In fact, most of them have virtually no governing resume -- the leadership seems to be based solely on name recognition. Name recognition is also possible with outrageous amounts of money spent and promises of the moon when all they have is chopped liver.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:05 pm
Light is right. I also think the reaction to the California recall, as it proceeds, may make a difference. The actions of the Republicans in Texas are beginning to make them look bad (and DeLay worse). If a "bought" recall (which this seems to be) gets bad press, nasty stuff comes out, it could be bad for those who initiated it and their party.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:18 pm
I think the whole future of the "recall" movement will depend on whether ot not Bushy-Poo II gets a second term. If he does, I can easily see recall efforts initiated by the Republicans against any democratic state and federal officials with whom they disagree. If he loses, I think that the recall boom wil slow, but that a movement will be initiated to impeach President Dean by the same groups that brought us the verb form of the proper name Lewinski.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:25 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
A recall should be required as an impeachment requires that the elected official has broken the law.

What would be the point of this???? The only way to prove a law has been broken is to conduct a trial which is exactly what an impeachment proceeding is. Why create a recall process that is the exact same thing as an impeachment? Seems pretty redundant.

The concept of a recall is to be able to boot a politician from office for mismanagement even if no law has been broken.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:28 pm
Fish -- Can you give an example where this occurred for a good reason?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:31 pm
Quote:
The concept of a recall is to be able to boot a politician from office for mismanagement even if no law has been broken.

Or if you feel the wrong party (i.e., not yours) won. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:43 pm
The only prior recall at that level was the 1921 recall of ND Gov. Lynn J. Frazier when their economy collapsed after WWI.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Frazier

Most states don't have the recall available to them and there is no recall for the Federal office holders (or we'd probably have seen several Congressional reps recalled over the years..)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:53 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Or if you feel the wrong party (i.e., not yours) won. Rolling Eyes

You're foaming agin. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:57 pm
See: California.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:24 pm
I'm aware of the Frazier case and understood that it was unjustified. I think we'd be better off with a recall based on clear (proven) malfeasance. The problem with the Davis recall is that so much of what he's being blamed for comes from Pete Wilson's watch. Davis, not much liked by anyone, it seems, is an easy target. Coupla million bucks, buncha of paid "volunteers" collecting signatures, and a feeling of dyspepsia about the whole undertaking among the citizens of CA.

The "recall" of Reps is done within the chamber, as with the guy from FL whose name escapes me now... Alcie... ? Can't remember!

I agree with Hobit that, when you add up the various happenings around the country, from the Texas events, to Norm Coleman's ascension, to Davis, to god knows what else, it kinda looks as though the Republican party is playing dirty pool -- sometimes seriously dirty pool. I'm pretty set on this and am fairly well convinced that, as in so many other cases, we'll get at the truth of it later on. What Republicans should worry about now is that reasonable people do have this perception and are backing away from the party.

Alcie Hastings! (S-l-o-w-l-y remembered!)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:47 pm
Alcee Hastings was impeached from his position as a Federal District Court Judge in 1989. He wasn't recalled.

There is no provision for recall of Congressional Reps. A recall is done by the voters. An impeachment is done by a legistaltive body.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:06 pm
Republicans need to remember that what goes around comes around and that they will not be immune to the same tactics being used against them.

That is where the danger is for our country's election system and why I hope the electoriate wises up to it and snuffs the recall efforts.

I see the current misuse of the recall process as being a very real threat to our democracy. If the States won't fix it themselves, Congress or the Supreme Court needs to step in to protect our voting rights.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:27 pm
That's true, Butrfly. I don't look forward to it. And I too hope to see the recall effort go down. Agree across the board.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:06 pm
I believe this is a war in the trenches and any battlefield will do. If a recall can throw the other guys into chaos I believe that will be tried again if possible. I don't think there are many things off limits these days.
0 Replies