What do you say when...

kerver

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:24 am
As i walked into the nursing home today there were a few elderly people outside taking in the fresh air, all of them in wheelchairs. As i walked by them to get inside the building I politely said "hello" and smiled, expecting a smile, a hello, or even no expression. Instead, this elderly man turned and looked me straight in the eyes and vaguely said "I wish I had your legs". It gave a very strange feeling afterwards. I had no idea of what i could or should have said in that case. I was only trying to be polite, but now I wish i hadn't said anything, and I feel bad for that. It just seemed almost (sorry to say) creepy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,910 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:35 am
Yeah, I know how you feel (I think). My grandma was in one of those places, and it felt like I had to make my way through some weird emotional obstacle course to get to her...there was one woman who would only cry "help me, help me" and no one knew why.

Anyway, sorry for your experience. Unfortunately, in nursing homes, that's what you can expect.
0 Replies

Adele

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:52 am
Ain't no doubt in my mind that he REALLY wished he had your legs. And it was probably the truth. And it was good for him to be able to tell it to someone that it would make perfect sense to. He communicated to you something that he felt. And who knows for how long he has been yearning to say that. Days, months, maybe right off the top of his head. Waiting for just the right time and situation.
But the really special part is.... it was you. Something had him say it to you.
Please don't be afraid.
It doesn't sound like you've gone to nursing homes that often. There are all kinds of people there.
All kinds, and ages and reasons for being there.
Be confident and use your senses. If you go there much you will learn alot about people that
you thought you would never have to know.
Sure is an eye opener!!!! HUH?
You WILL learn something from every visit. Let it happen.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 02:19 am
Adele wrote:

It doesn't sound like you've gone to nursing homes that often. There are all kinds of people there.
All kinds, and ages and reasons for being there.
Be confident and use your senses. If you go there much you will learn alot about people that
you thought you would never have to know.
Sure is an eye opener!!!! HUH?

Well actually, My mom has worked as a nurse for as long as I've been alive and longer. She's worked in nursing homes, hospitals, and places for disabled people. Through the years I have spent plenty of time in these places, and have seen many things. I have been exposed to probably more then most people. I wasn't afraid of the elderly man, just the vibe I got afterwards.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:09 am
kerver- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Could it be that you were identifying with that person? Is it possible that somewhere in the back of your mind you were thinking that someday that man might be you, and that is why his words upset you?
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:43 pm
You could very well be right phoenix.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:51 pm
I wrote a short story about a very similar experience. I had long hair, down my back, and an old woman in a wheelchair grabbed my hand as I passed and said to me, very urgently, "I used to have hair like that."

It's certainly disturbing, on many levels.
0 Replies

Adele

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 06:52 pm
Hey Kerver,
Sorry, I spewed a conclusion that I had no right to....spew. haha
I've been to many 'nursing' homes also. Out here they are starting to call them 'rehabilitation/ care facilities'.
For me, being there was usually a 'weird' feeling anyway. There are ALL kinds of 'vibes' floating around. You weren't expecting it, huh.
I've always just wanted to load a bunch of them up in the back of a pick-up and take 'em to a park or somewhere that would do them some good.
But, we all know that there is no possible way in the world that any of that happens. Except for in the movies. But it's always nice to dream nice thoughts.
adele
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:11 pm
Kerver--

Next time look the old gent in the eye and say, "I wish I had your accumulated wisdom."
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:06 pm
Noddy, what a great answer Very Happy

Another might be:-

" What a nice thing to say, that's very kind of you, they're in pretty good shape aren't they ?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:24 pm
It's hard to know how to respond when you don't know the person at all. If it had been me and I knew the person to be safe I'd have just asked "Why?".

When I was a teen we used to play pick-up baseball in a field behind a nursing home. A lot of the patients came out to watch us if they could. It brought back a lot of memories for them and some of them had some really great stories to tell.

Many of them just don't have anyone to tell the stories to. If I've got a few minutes I try to lend them an ear. Someday that could be me!
0 Replies