Aust prime minister in US

dadpad

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 01:20 am
New Australian Prime minister Kevin Rudd is currently visiting the US.

Rudd to meet US presidential contenders
Michelle Grattan, Washington
March 31, 2008 - 10:25AM

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will meet Senator Hillary Clinton in Washington tomorrow before speaking to her presidential race opponent Senator Barack Obama.

Mr Rudd announced at a press conference in Washington that he would meet Senator Clinton in person on Monday, US time, before speaking to Senator Obama - who will not be in the US capital - by phone.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/rudds-us-power-trifecta/2008/03/31/1206850763827.html

Shake on it, dude: honest Kev finds a new pal

Michelle Grattan
March 30, 2008
THE mutual admiration society George Bush and Kevin Rudd have formed must have John Howard shaking his head in annoyance or amusement at the pragmatism of his presidential mate.

Only weeks ago, Howard, in a major Washington speech, said he was disappointed Australia's battle group would be withdrawn from southern Iraq "as one of the new Labor Government's election commitments".
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/shake-on-it-dude-honest-kev-finds-a-new-pal/2008/03/29/1206207499100.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 964 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:52 pm
The Age
is a tabloid like BILD in Germany.
He should learn and not waste the tax payer's money
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:39 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
The Age
is a tabloid like BILD in Germany.
He should learn and not waste the tax payer's money

The age is most definitly a broadsheet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
Is there an opinion here?

I prefer Howard to Rudd and I suspect Bush does as well, but Rudd was elected by the Australian people and Australia is an important ally.

I don't know what could have possibly have been gained for America by Bush treating Rudd with anything but favor and respect.

Perhaps this doesn't conform with some people's impression of Bush as the Lone Ranger of international relations, but that impression was never accurate

Since you are providing us with a window to Australian press reaction, is it true that Rudd received criticism at home for "saluting" Bush at the conference?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:17 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Since you are providing us with a window to Australian press reaction, is it true that Rudd received criticism at home for "saluting" Bush at the conference?

Rudd was roundly condemned in the press for the "salute". This is view that is not really supported by many Australians. As far as I can tell the media are trying to beat it up into something it really wasn't.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:35 pm
dadpad wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Rudd was roundly condemned in the press for the "salute". This is view that is not really supported by many Australians. As far as I can tell the media are trying to beat it up into something it really wasn't.

Confirms my high regard for Australians in general and my low opinion of the press in "Western" democracies.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:16 pm
Quote:
Salute to Bush just a joke, says Rudd

That's all it possibly could be.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:14 pm
Rudd
is not
Bush