My opinion on a 'catch fire quick' topic

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
Carpenter ant.

People can be such ants.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:53 pm
One of our Antipodean friends has a thread about living alone, and it has made me think here about that other aspect of fear which drives people to religion--the fear of solitude. The most irrascible old lady, the crankiest old codger, can at least have a sense of community once a week at the local church. I wonder how many are driven to a false piety simply to escape the emptiness of their lives?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:16 pm
If my life ever gets that empty, I'll go play Bingo :-)
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:26 pm
oh yeah!! Bingo!! We canadians LOOOVVVEE our Bingo!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:38 pm
Shocked

Them ol' Bingo ladies is scarey . . . where would the Catholic church in America be without bingo . . . it don't bear considerin' . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:44 pm
We sure do ;-) I can picture myself now :-) We use to have the local tv Bingo when we had the cable and we didn't even have to leave the house, but we switched over to the dish and lost it :-( A few of my aunts go to a place around here somewhere that have food for prizes such as chicken, turkeys, Lobster, etc... Must be because we Canadians also like to stock up for the winter. I'll be bottling the labor of my garden soon which is also another Canadian thing.

Ok, I'll shut up now....
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:54 pm
I grew up in an Irish Catholic neighborhood south of Boston. The folks across the street had 8 kids. Next to them there were 7, on the other side 9, and then another 8. We only went to church on Christmas and Easter, so my folks only had 2.

Growing up with these people, the talk was often about Sunday mass. "Yeah Ma, I gave an extra dollar". "You better be on time, or they'll be hell to pay!"

But the biggest topics of conversation were the cute girls at church. If you dress up nice, smile nice, and treat church as a spiffy dating service then your prayers would be answered. Or, after a lousy time on Friday or Saturday night (no luck), pick up a different one on Sunday I guess.

Never did see too many umbrellas.
Do Catholics believe in using them?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
Only the umbrellas with holes in them. Picture Mary Poppins in martyrdom.
0 Replies