YOUR theories on dog training!...

max

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:15 pm
ugggh! Pacco down boy down. Osso, sorry about that!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:21 pm
Of course it's my fault. But he is an older boy, and I have m'doubts about the value of training at this point. Not that it is not valuable, but that I can't now overcome very strong patterns. He is swell enough with other dogs except when he is being territorial. But when he is being territorial, I watch it.

Now to find just the right indestructible cushion for the car crate....
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:26 pm
Yup, I love my dogs too..................sigh Rolling Eyes
max willy and TEX (the baby yellow lab)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:27 pm
omigoodness. Pacco is a wild dog!

Cleo started advanced obedience on Sunday. We started with reviewing what we did in basic, and then started on heel. We've been practicing on our walks each night. Last night, we overdid it a bit - a one hour walk with nearly 1/2 hour of practice. All 3 of us were zonked. Bailey is practicing along with Cleo.

I'm trying out for the circus next. Tonight, I noticed that I had both dogs on training leads - looped around my right wrist and controlled in the left hand. I had a full poop bag in my left hand, and about a dozen training bits in the right hand. Then to allow Cleo to practice, I had to pass Bailey's lead over the top of my head without moving Cleo. I did it. I don't know how, but I did. And she sat, and she heeled briefly. Which is good. And we did it again, and again, and again. And I'm probably still sane.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:33 pm
Well, he's fine in the crate in the car, but I had to figure this out the hard way. It's better re hair distribution too.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 08:32 am
Dogs are harder to train if they come to you as older dogs. But corgis are really trainable. Just keep trying this routine a) show enormous pleasure (voice high, lots of kisses) when he does something right, and b) ignore him obviously and haughtily when he does something you don't like!! Attention = praise and affirmation.

Somewhere I posted an offer of my extra copy of Karen Pryor's book (really, a pamphlet) about encouragement training (not her words). Offer is still good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 08:43 am
When I got Bootsie (the very feminine boxer) as a puppy, crate training was fully entrenched in society. I refused the idea of it. And, being in the phase of my life that I was in, I refused most training. Not a good thing then, but right now, Bootsie is a very well behaved pooch. Boxers just simply want to please people. You just have to let them know what pleases you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:17 am
I have the Pryor book, Tart. Will look around, there are only a few places it could be... If I don't find it, I'll post.

This thing with the car rage is pretty strong. And I do give him lots of pleasure/delight when he obeys command.

On the car crate, little k, it is not for training here, it is for locking him up for six minutes. He can't see dogs in trucks out of it, and quiets right down.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:31 am
I think your car rage solution is perfect! Now that I'm getting new puppy (will post image), I'm going to "relearn" "crate training" -- the best, kindest, most successful training I know!

That's why I'm reviewing my dog training books etc..! But the hardest thing is to remember how much dogs go by mom's attention and tone of voice. I've actually heard myself growl, "Good boy!" Or plead in a high voice, "Get out of the cat's food!" Wrong. All wrong. Mom needs retraining!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:38 am
http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL203/985067/1830704/33537984.jpg

Tailor at 12 weeks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:50 am
Oh, what a dear!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:02 am
I think she's funny-lookin' -- every time I see that picture (which I have as a screen saver), I laugh!
0 Replies

max

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:06 am
When I get my next roll of film developed, Im going to figure out how to do that!
Tailor is priceless!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:37 pm
What a sweetie pie!

Cleo's third advanced class is tomorrow. There's already been a noticeable change in her behaviour. It's amazing what a difference my consistent response to her actions makes.

I love my dogs!
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 02:23 pm
I have an almost six month old Boxer pup. We are still negotiating who is training who! You can see every emotion on her face. She is so funny at times doing everything she can to get what she wants, I can't resist her and give in. I guess this is part of the bargain with us. I want her to quit raiding the garbage can and not to go to the bathroom on my carpet.

Cats are the great ones at training. They definitely have us well behaved!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:49 pm
Tartarin, we miss you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:54 pm
We sure do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:45 pm
She lost her password or something. I'll try to nag her to contact Support here.

Signed,
another Corgi Owned Person
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 06:13 am
Oh good (not that she's lost her password, but that you can get in touch with her). I've been poking around in politics, looking for her.
0 Replies

agility girl

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 10:44 pm
Dog training
I have been training dogs for about 6 years. I use entirely positive reinforcement type training. The name of it is clicker training. It is a no force method of training that uses a small palstic device that makes a sharp clicking noise. You click the clicker when the dog is doing something you like. You then follow it with a reward such as a treat or toy. It's like saying "good dog" but faster so its a more precise indicator of what you liked.The dog quickly comes to associate that what he was doing when he heard the click earned him a reward. In the initial stages the dog follow the treat wit hhis nose, and becasue if you control the head you control the body, you can then get the dog into positions like a sit or down.Clicker training operates on the scientific principles of classical(Pavlov) and operant conditioning (BF Skinner) The clicker and treats are only used in the initial stages of training, after the dog knows what to do you gradually fade them out. You can teach your dog anything using clicker training. I am involved in agility(obstacle course for dogs) and I love teaching tricks to my dogs, a LabX, Katie, and a Siberian Husky, Zeffie.

I things I like best about clicker training are: its quick and efficent, it makes total sense to the dog, there is no pushing or pulling you dog into position, and dogs absolutely love training.
0 Replies