YOUR theories on dog training!...

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 02:22 pm
They are DIVINE!! Where's the lake? (I'm jealous!!)(Boone is jealous, too.) Bailey really is a fox -- look at the tail!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 02:28 pm
we live about a five minute drive from this ...

this is the actual beach from the beachestoronto.com website

http://beachestoronto.com/tour/ is the tour site (we were visiting Ashbridge's Bay yesterday)
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 03:54 pm
Oh my gosh Beth what beautiful pictures! Tartarin the filter I got are at the place that used to be Striplings Blake on Steck Avenue(gee I don't think I spelled Stripling right) because they Home Depot did not have my size. Thanks for the info on the vitamins for shedding.
Ive got photos of my dogs ...Ive got to figure out how to put them here!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 03:58 pm
Let us know if you need any help with posting the pix. You should know by know we're all help-keeners :wink: - and when there's a promise of dog pix ... well, we can be a bit errrrr helpful. Yeah, that's it. Helpful.
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
thanks! Ive got three dogs. The weinerboys, Max and Willy. And the baby a yellow lab Tex Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:30 pm
ohhhhh - we've got to see those guys! Especially with all those good family names.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:35 pm
Ah, Lake Ontario -- see, I thought those were rocks I remembered from NY State!! I grew up in Rochester.

Saw a yellow lab in Austin today, Max, and thought of you.

Ah, Stripling (you mean they've gone away?). But if the home despot has them, we have a new HD in Kerrville. Will try there.
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:44 pm
Thanks tartarin! Stripling has been bought by other folks. Kerrville! You live there ! Gosh its beautiful there! Went to camp there as a kid.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:51 pm
Well, not actually Kerrville, but within driving distance. I live in the boonies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:54 pm
I grew up on the other end of the lake, Tartarin. We used to drive to Watertown to get Dr. Pepper. Man, we were soooooo wild. :wink:
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:56 pm
thus the skunk problem right? sigh
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:14 pm
Well, Max, there are skunks in urban areas too. I've met a number of them!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 11:39 pm
We have them here too. Um, we also have bears...
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 12:30 am
I'm sorta laid back on training. I've had a ton of dogs. Mostly bassets. In reality, you can't train bassets much. One trainer said she didn't take bassets in her calsses. Toooo stuborn.

I have 4 house dogs. 3 bassets and an Irish Wolfhound. I house break them teach them to sit and to come when called. I have a 2 acre back yard so when things get out of hane I open the door and yell "Out' and they go. So, I guess that the 4th thing. I have been successful in training all my dogs not to get up on the furniture when I'm in the room and to get off abour 4 seconds before I enter the room. Don't eat the cat food is a waste. They don't chew furniture but pencils are fair game. They have tought me that if I yell to loud they (all females) will simply squat and pee. They all wear watches and let me know, to the minute, when it is feeding time. As they are all hounds, they have formed a howling chorus and practice around 4am. They speak little english beyond the phrase "Who me?'. If I am lying on the couch, they will only try to lick my face after hanging their face and both ears in the water bowl. Not one of them has ever owned up to "Who cut the cheese?"
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 07:39 am
Sounds about right! The main thing with dogs is for them to understand the word "no," REALLY understand it. Socially, in the big city, that's a good thing if one wants to maintain ones friendships and goodwill with the neighbors. In the rural wild West here, it's absolutely positively essential -- sending an a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y n-o-t signal when there are snakes (or skunks)(or porcupines) in the vicinity. Useful when travelling, at the gas station, when there are semis rushing by. Lots of people think dog training is an artificial gloss. But I've been in situations with my dogs where training (responsiveness) has saved their lives.

Morganwood -- I love bassets. They are great, great dogs. I had an Old English once who squatted and peed whenever she heard a loud voice! My corgis, when puppies, believed the only way to get a good drink is to stand in the water bowl while lapping. And when adults, to stand in a lake or creek and drink -- ahhhh, that's the best!
0 Replies

max

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:18 am
Drove by that place yesterday that was Stripling Blake on Steck Avenue, its now BMC. Oh and not far on Shoal Creek is a Lowes. Both places carry the 3M Filtrate a/c filters.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:45 am
Morganwood, loved your description of your dog household.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
Thanks, Max. I'll try it. Sheesh, BMC, eh? BMC left my hometown out here and was replaced by Parker Lumber. Corporate realignments at rural level!!
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:34 pm
Dang it anyway! Tex (my yellow lab) chewed my cable outside. Iam cableless......Cable guy coming later today. Any suggestions on stopping him from chewing stuff like that ??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:10 pm
My dog Pacco has torn my Volvo side columns apart by virtue of grabbing the seat belt metal insert and yanking with all his might in protest of transgressors who pass by. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. What strong teeth he has, my little treasure.

He is obedient quite a bit of the time, but not in this situation.
Dum de dum dum, now we have a crate in the car, for town rides.

Yes, Tartarin, I did get the book. Now, where did I put it???
0 Replies