YOUR theories on dog training!...

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:13 am
Adorable!!!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:01 am
Yes, AKC, but will be a "companion dog," spayed (in time), and I won't bother to register. She comes from a very spectacular line and though she was sorted into the "companion dog" category, both her current owner and I think she likely has show possibilities.

I'm not into that stuff but have offered (half-heartedly!) to let her be shown and have one litter if she's that quality-- and she has that willingness. My Pem (on the right) was a show dog but, though she was very good, I was sure she hated the whole thing and withdrew her after a few wins. She went on to become an athlete (frisbee, agility) and a therapy dog -- she loved people, excitement, other dogs. Show dogs have to like the fol-de-rol (put up with the waits and crates, really enjoy the attention, know they're winners, prance happily) and I'd have to be sure of that in any dog 'o mine before I'd allow her to be put through that stuff!
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
Ive never shown a dog. I have three. But I do plan on letting the lab stud. I got his OTF papers the other day, and they came back "excellent". So, all that stuff is in the hands of some wonderful vets I know here in central TX.
When he is old enough I will put him through snake avoidance training with Joyce Morgan Training Center. She has a great rep. with show people and hunters.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:17 am
I've been at Joyce Morgan's classes! I don't remember that she did snake avoidance then but it's not a bad idea. One encounter with a rattler here -- the dogs seemed to take note of my reaction and have been wary ever sense. Sheesh -- I wish Joyce could teach mine skunk avoidance!

Where do you run yours? (Use to use Shoal Creek/34th St and the TxDot facility up on Bull Creek.)
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:23 am
You have? How funny! She does have a great reputation. I (right now)run him just around my neighborhood.
Im going to use Shoal Creek soon though. Right now, he is still so young .
What kind of classes did you take? And surely there must be something about skunks!
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:32 am
Hey Tartarin, Im having a shedding problem with the lab. I use a 3M Filtrate a/c filter, which is great, and I vacuum every day. Do you have any tips?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:32 am
I've finally got the right answer. You gotta train the trainer first, then the dog.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:26 pm
You're right, CI!! I got very picky about trainers. They all do basically the same thing but they all swear they have completely different theories. The bottom line is, does your dog run up to the trainer, see the trainer as a best buddy. If not, find another one!!

Max, I started advanced obedience at Joyce's and then switched to someone else. Can't remember why, specifically.

Yeah, Boone sheds a lot (the one on the left). I was told Vitamin B, and have been giving him supplements. The other day a corgi breeder in the Yukon (!) told me vitamin E does the job. I suppose I could give him human E pills, but instead am sprinkling flax seed on his food. (Missing Link is also terrific -- I think Bark and Purr has it up on Burnet and if not PM me and I'll find you a source. And you can get it online. By now, even Petsmart may have it.)

I'm going to be spreading a portion of Cricket's ashes along her favorite area of Shoal Creek tomorrow or Friday, whichever day it stops raining and I get my weekly swim at Barton's.

What sizes do the 3M filters come in? Big ones for whole house ACs?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:29 pm
Here you go, Max! Boy, they've got a lot of new products. http://www.designinghealth.com/products/canine_products_main.html
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:29 pm
All sizes
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:37 pm
Whereja git 'em?
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:44 pm
Thanks. What do you feed your dog?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:30 pm
Purina One low-fat kibble. In part because of availability out here, in part because their breeder did a study of the highly-touted newish foods and came back to Purina One plus veggies as the perfect diet. I feed mine twice a day. In the morning with vitamin pills and flax added, in the evening with broth over the top and flax sprinkled on. Veggies two or three times a week. Sunday night: a can of Alpo as treat, no kibble. Lot of exercise and outdoor activities here. So very healthy overall.

So whereja git the filters?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
I just bought some flax seed for myself. Sprinkled on dry kibble for the dogs?

Cleo is the doggie vaccuum cleaner - carrots, potatoes, strawberries that she harvests herself, any fruit, any veggie she can get out of anyone. She loves those cheap frozen veggie mixes. Bailey's a bit fussier - carrots are a yes, bananas are a no, strawberries are a yes if i mash them in my fingers a bit.

Clicker training here seems a bit different. It is based on positive re-inforcement only. Clicks when they are approximating the goal closer and closer - either verbal praise or treats or a combo at each step of further approximation. Bailey's done a 'sampler' of clicker training. I think we'll do the full course once Cleo's completed her CGC, and they can take it together.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:48 pm
Yes. Pryor's click training is entirely about positive reinforcement. In fact, her "Don't Shoot the Dog" book is as much about humans, children, dolphins, primates, etc., as it is about dogs. You might want to post a photo of your doggies, puh-lease??

I once knew a PERFECT Bailey, a real love of a dog.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:42 pm
Tartarin - my Mr. Bailey and Miss Cleopatra are the two dogs often found in Setanta's avatar. Bailey is the more sober of the two - he is a small, blondish fella - part Sheltie/part Buhund. He is somewhat aloof, but loves very deeply. Cleo, well to be polite, we call her TheLoveS!ut. She's got a gorgeous, almost Irish Setter red coat - she is part Pom/part something more bow-legged. She loves every human with a face that might need cleaning. Very Happy

I'll down-load some pix from today's beach adventure and bring one of them back here.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:27 pm
Neat!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:34 pm
Can't say anything about training. I think I had dogs and kids for years. Kids today all grown with families and dogs of their own, and no more dogs. Do have a cat, who has trained my husband well.

We had a Saint Bernard (about 180 lbs), who ate anything and everything she found. When the kids were young, and I was home, I would make lunch for them (they came home from school in those days) and put it on the table, and Fahli would simply walk around the table eating lunch. She was one of those special dogs for me, and when we had her put down I did not take it well. She was pure-bred, sire flown in from Switzerland, but we decided that to us she was a member of the family. As time went along, she became my son's late date. No matter time he came home, the two would always go for a walk.

At the same time, we had a golden retriever and a dachshund. I was at the vacuum cleaner all the time. I suppose one could say that I got trained well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 02:16 pm
this is one of the happiest pictures of Bailey - he'd just finished romping through the water, sand and rocks at the beach with Cleo.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0agByAJ8gPczIpTywoYTdO!QsuZqPK3BoPwAbOilKPaw8hvJc12aPbW1TLu!AQk1IJIdcj3GlvoSC5ChY1Vbb6ld2VkeX44YHWfAtYZVKXbvzM3IgNhES9bW8KmBk01cDSLkrVulN9ulYLcRyzdMujpVN7Q3ff6vc/bailey%20is%20SO%20happy%20090103.jpg?dc=4675437151948392393
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0fAAAANomEY6yn*LqP!u5WaJ90nhwP4z5jTyK6uwXkBFF*Q*el5Oc8Tea4Up0n4Ak1C0GKZD61VoiZg2s2r9v2x5xjjocgNeJKdrcihmZkj!yY*!zCVd6kYtbR1dZj0Szn7aApujJvgMJEqcdp7PJ516rz3CgRYTzkkpjcL9t4!iD0vPug3DupQ/cleo%20drinks%20up%20the%20lake%20unedited%20090103.jpg?dc=4675437152023209133

Cleo in the lake, during the same adventure. As hamburger often comments, she sure has a lonnnnnng tongue.
0 Replies