YOUR theories on dog training!...

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:34 pm
Your favorite books, tricks.

Things which drive you up the wall. Mad
Your joys. Your errors. Your triumphs. Very Happy
Other people's dogs. Rolling Eyes
What you've learned from your dog. :wink:

The whole shmeer! I've trained dogs and been trained by them (mostly the latter) and I'm about to start in again with a new puppy. Have even taken a dog through advanced obedience (down-stay until the dog turns into stone!). I know what I plan to do; I know the best laid plans can... well you know!

So what's your experience been?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,748 • Replies: 100
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:41 pm
Not much. The last time I had a dog, she learned "sit" in just a couple of sessons. When I stopped, she would sit without command. "Come" was pretty easy too. We never quite made it to "stay."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
I'm just about to start the second level of obedience with Cleo. I can't get over the difference the first level made in her/ for her.

I will always have the words of Bailey's first instructor, Rachael, ringing in my ears. "You're right, Beth. It's all about consistency. YOUR consistency." umm. ok. lesson taken.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 04:24 pm
I know! That's the first lesson you learn: that you're the one who has to learn the lessons!! This time it's my intention (let's see if I carry it out!) to let puppy indicate what she already knows before get started. Also in the mix, my 7-year-old trained paragon, and I expect him to do most of the work!!
0 Replies

max

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 04:29 pm
We have a 6 month old yellow lab. Got him when he was about 2 1/2 months. Training? A crate is essential for this breed. Not one accident. We have learned his barks, and know when he has to go. During most of the day, he sleeps on the bed. Sit was easy, so was stay and come. Lots of love, exercise, and LOADS of praise for doing the right things.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 04:34 pm
Yes, I definitely crate train. I also have no problem with "encouraging" with treats -- particularly teensy pieces of dessicated liver (Hey, you can make it at home too, and it makes your house smell SOOOO good (b-w-a-a-a-a-c-h!).

Labs are divine, easy going characters, particularly the males. Terrific doggies.

Does anyone here feed veggies to their dog?
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 05:59 pm
oooh!! This lady is training my dog (she's older and enjoys her time with "Pip" and I haven't the time lately) by using the "clicker". Yup, when pip doesn't something good she gets a 'click'. It seems to be working... but I was wondering if anyone else knows about this noisy method?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:25 pm
When we got our first dog when our kids were small, we really screwed up, because the dog training school we used lacked the expertise to do a good job. I'll never make that mistake again! We're gonna get references from several people before we sign up.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:55 pm
Yes, indeed, Eileen. Click training is terrific. Go to Amazon and look at Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog". Don't miss it. Read it! Okay, so why don't I click train my dogs? I dunno -- for starters I got the clickers after I'd already started another training process.

Remember "The Accidental Tourist"? That's a kind of click-training. (Same kind of dog I have, too!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:07 pm
Hmm, Pacco likes raw carrots....
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:17 pm
Cricket liked beans. They both love cheap, horrible, huge bags of generic brand frozen "mixed vegetables." It's terrific Pacco likes carrots -- they have to be good for him. I was told the other day Vitamin E is a MUST, by the way, for corgi coats! (They're always gonna try and sell you something!) B. gets flax seed sprinkled on his food.

Who else's dog eats deer and cow turds (the latter known in this household as Haagen Dazs double-double chocolate and the former as niblets)? How do large grasshoppers go down with your buddy? Oh, and dead birds... mmmm, delicious, feathers and all.
0 Replies

max

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:03 pm
ughhhhhhhhhh Tartarin! What does your Vet say?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:33 pm
His dogs do the same thing... (He's a great vet, kind of old fashioned in attitude and young in training -- even some !AUSTIN PEOPLE! bring their dogs to him!!) Don't forget, it's extra vegetable matter -- gotta have some vitamins left I guess. I don't know why my pup doesn't like raccoon and possum do-do. The birds give me pause, just because of the bones...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:37 pm
Do you have the new puppy yet, Tartarin???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:39 pm
Beans? As in pinto beans????fart city???? or long green beans? hmm, chinese long beans?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:27 am
No, I pick her up in early October (I don't like to have a puppy who hasn't been through the full parvo immunization routine -- too risky).

Generic brand french cut green beans steamed and with a little butter+ garlic added!

When I saw Pacco loves carrots, it reminded me of someone telling me about a dog who loved bananas.

Let's face it: you can treat a dog as a garbage disposal unit. They have nice rough tongues -- perfect for getting most of the job done on a dirty broiler pan (though one has to put up with the sound as they chase it across the tiled floor of the kitchen...).

The only bread I buy is fresh ciabatta because it's nice a crusty. They get the hind-end of the bread when it's a day old and a great chew/tooth cleaner.
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:31 am
I may have missed it, but Tartarin, what kind of puppy is it?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:48 am
She's a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Max. I don't have her yet, but the word is her ears are now perked up, which would make her more recognizable!
0 Replies

max

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:51 am
Too cute! AKC?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:53 am
http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL203/985067/1882867/22416181.jpg

The one on the left is a Cardigan, the one on the right a Pembroke -- both corgis. Tail, no tail. Rangier but mellow vs. compact and alert. Both herding dogs (the smallest). Smart in the way herders are smart, different from labs.
0 Replies