TGIF

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:46 pm
I'm glad it's Friday, because if it wasn't, I couldn't go through the rest of the week without killing my boss.

If it was one big issue, it could be addressed.

It's not, it is just the fact she lives and breathes.

I don't hate her, or even dislike her. She is just someone one cannot take for an extended period of time.

She is, in a word......corny.

Day in, day out, the same stupid comments that are at times insulting to others, but in her mind are brilliant witty observations on life.

Thank God she travels a lot and we deal through emails and the occasional phone call for 1, 2 or more days at a time.

She's the type that walks up to a person, stands there for a second, then says "What?"

When you say, "excuse me?" her response is "oh, nothing" or "just messing with ya"......oh, yeah, I get it now....

She just walked by my door while I was going over some data, and before turning the sheet, I whispered, just to myself, "ok"

So, for the next 15 seconds, she stood outside my door, whispering. I didn't turn around, and she went away.....

Ah....thanks for the vent, tomorrows another day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,560 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:55 pm
ok, so I sound like a baby.

like no one else gets crazy over the steady drip of banality?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:57 pm
We are all nodding in silent empathy and agreement.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:00 pm
My boss is in Arkansas today, so.....

(partying like it's my birthday)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:01 pm
Tell us a story kicky.

I know how much you hate some people, feel free to share.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:06 pm
Shut up and get back to work! All of you!

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:07 pm
fishin wrote:

Twisted Evil

After you Cool
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:12 pm
Chai wrote:
fishin wrote:

Twisted Evil

After you Cool

*muttering* Damn smartasses */muttering*

Razz
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:12 pm
Chai wrote:
ok, so I sound like a baby.

like no one else gets crazy over the steady drip of banality?

Every freakin' day, my friend. Every day.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:13 pm
I hear you, Chai. (I always type "Chair" dammit).

We have this guy, Smallie, who tells the worst kind of corny jokes ever. Nobody except him ever laughs, ever... until he leaves, that is. I just say to him, "Uh huh, another really bad one, Smallie, that's what - four so far this morning?" and he laughs at that, too. And it was only 7:15.

And Yeah, TGIF!! One more week and I can eat sushi. And flush a toilet. And not have to cook potatoes. Smile
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:16 pm
I'm likely quitting my job as my charge-hand (he's not really my boss per se) is an obsessive, micro-managing, control-freak.

He's prone to long bouts of verbal diarrhea coupled with a strong tendency for harassing, obsessive somewhat contradictory ramblings about how he wants even the most insignificant of things to be performed.

I have started a major grievance with the Union, and HR, and I have rallied the support of a number of the other employees (some of whom have been with the company for 20 years and are also charge-hands)

But.... in fact I have so many job opportunities, that it's questionable if it's worth the time and effort to kick him off his physco-pedestal.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:16 pm
You may call me chair if you like.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:19 pm
Thanks, Chair.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:21 pm
I used to work with this girl named Bernice. Bernice had wild frizzy hair, big coke-bottle glasses and had a general air of cluelessness about her. She did many odd things during my time having to deal with her.

If you happened to bring in any kind of newspaper or reading material, you'd have to keep it hidden from plain sight, or it would disappear and then reappear later with Bernice's doodles and scribble marks all over it. She felt that all things brought into the office were community property.

She would also do that hovering thing, where you would be sitting working on something, and suddenly you'd get the feeling you were being watched. And sure enough, you'd turn around and Bernice would be standing directly behind you, quietly watching what you were doing, but saying nothing. Then you'd have to make pleasantries with her, which is what I always hated, because she was, to say the least, kind of odd. You'd make a joke, and she'd stand there looking at you. You'd say something serious, and she'd laugh uncomfortably. I always felt like smacking her, but I also felt a little sorry for her. Poor girl was a kook, and she didn't even seem to realize it.

Or did she? Do you think these people realize how annoying they are to others, but since they can't do much about it, they just get used to themselves and in some cases, actually learn to love themselves just as they are? Or are they just clueless dolts?

Eventually, Bernice was fired. We placed undoodled-on newspapers and periodicals on everyone's desk in celebration, and nobody had to worry about some weirdo startling them by sneaking up and standing behind them for no apparent reason anymore.

The end.

Now everyone go out and have some fun. It's friday, for ****'s sake!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
i have a boss from hell. nice and interesting person, but a terrible boss. though his abuses are usually directed towards others, i am the one who has to be in the middle, apologize on our behalf, serve as the company shrink to other hurt staff and people we deal with and listen to complaints both from him and from the other staff.

unfortunately friday means little to me, though i got better to not picking up my phone over the weekend.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:41 pm
I'm not cut out to work for anyone.... and every day is Friday for me... let's party..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:12 pm
I worked with a woman many years ago - she'd be about the age I am now - who worked all day long with big wads of tissues sticking out of her nose.

Just thought I'd share that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:14 pm
I had one of those, a boss who was terrible to others. He and an immediate co-director wanted to make me lab manager. I said no, because my interest in management is small and that has never been a forte - perhaps a chicken and egg question - but primarily because I didn't want to get caught up in the sturm and drang. Heh, last I heard our then small place is one of the world's major labs. I'd be in lard city for bennies. (I quit, changed careers, yadda yadda.)

Hovering, damned annoying. Can throw you off your feed, be it boss or strange colleague.

Depends on the relationship though. In my design partnership, we'd fool around with the designs and then start with the "what do you think?" There was a comfort about looking at each other's projects, a pretty much long term underlying support for some individually reached but mutual design approaches. But even then, we never just stood and watched.... uuurrgh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:16 pm
My first automechanic here had a tissue nose just like that. The cottonwoods, y'know. And I did know, me with the tissues in purse.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:17 pm
Yeah, just thank god I don't gotta work tomorrow!

I'm not very good with the stuff Dag is talking about. Being the buffer, the one who others come to sniffle and get some satisfaction from. Being the one having to try and keep or MAKE some peace.

And there's been a whole lot of that thrown my way lately.

Sigh. Play nice already or find another line of work. <rant>
0 Replies