Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 954 • Replies: 15
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:34 pm
Re: Death notice encourages anti-Bush contributions
More:

Obituary backs 'removal of Bush'

Quote:
When Sally Baron's family wrote her obituary, they described a northern Wisconsin woman who raised six children and took care of her husband after he was crushed in a mining accident. [..]

"My uncle asked if there was a cause," her youngest son, Pete Baron, said.

Almost in unison, what her children decided to include in the obituary was this: "Memorials in her honor can be made to any organization working for the removal of President Bush." [..]

Sally Baron was born in Hurley, Wis., and spent nearly her entire life in the timber and mining country of Iron County. She worked as a factory assembly worker, a waitress, a cook and a dietician, while her husband, James "Slugger" Baron, worked deep in the iron mines. [..]

"She was the den mother. She was the 4-H leader. She is the lady that taught all of us how to swim, how to play softball, how to camp," said her son, Joe Baron, who owns a plumbing business in Prairie du Sac.

"Montreal isn't a big city, but it's not that small, either. It was about 850 people. And my friends used to joke that when my mom goes to the front door - when I was a kid, this is - and yells out 'Jeff, Jim, Joe!' there was no place in Montreal that she couldn't be heard.

"And it meant one of three things: It was either time to eat, it was time to do a chore, or it was time to get in a lineup to find out who did this atrocity that she perceived. Then the fury of Genghis Khan would come out." [..]
"She was real tough, real strong," Bettilyon said. "They never sued the mining company or anything, and my parents were so helpful to us. We're people who waste money, and they never wasted money. They helped all of us buy houses." [..]

Joe Baron has no question that his mother would approve.

"She just didn't trust that a big corporate guy was going to be doing what was best for her. She just really didn't trust him," he said.

John Nichols: Even the obits are going against Bush

Quote:
No one should slip the mortal coil without raging one last time against the dying of the light. And so Sally Baron did. [..]

Sally Baron was born in the far north of Wisconsin in the year that Franklin Delano Roosevelt swept Herbert Hoover from office. When she was growing up around Hurley, Republicans weren't even on the radar. People voted for Democrats for president and for the old Progressive Party - a wild mix of renegade La Follette Republicans and radicals - in state races.

My friend Laurie Carlson used to represent the north in the Legislature as a Progressive, and he swore that the movement's truest believers could be found on the back roads of Bayfield, Ashland and Iron counties. That was where hardscrabble farmers, fishermen and miners nurtured a healthy disgust for the smirking elitists who controlled too much of the economy and, as the years went on, too much of the politics of the nation. [..]

No wonder, then, that Sally Baron bristled at the sight of George W. Bush. The wife of a miner who was injured in a pit accident, she raised six kids in a world our inherited and selected president could never imagine. Sally Baron's kids say she did not like the way Bush smirked when he spoke. Considering that he did not even win the most votes in the 2000 election, her thinking went, he could have been more humble. [..]

See also Obit request spurs national outpouring
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:47 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:50 pm
Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:53 pm
Comments on FreeRepublic.com, "A Conservative News Forum":

Quote:
I wonder if the family's memorial service for Mrs. Baron yesterday was anything like the Paul Wellstone Funeral Jamboree her fellow liberals held in nearby Minnesota last year.

posted by kristinn

This action epitomizes that which we mock about the political left. She had a child die at 21 of leukemia. Rather that asking that donations be made to the leukemia society, she wants them sent to the criminal enterprise known as the DemocRATic party. I don't know whether she is an angel in the afterlife, but in her life on earth she was clearly a fool.

posted by doug from upland

She is from Wisconsin. Nuff said.

posted by Mind-numbed Robot

Let's see, people are rich if they make $25k per year. They are still children as long as their parents are alive. And if they are leftists, thier blovating vulgar insults will be repeated on air by mentally/decency challenged leftists. I'm sad the woman died. I'm even sadder her brain preceeded the death of the rest of her.

posted by DoughtyOne

This article shows that the Democrats have learned absolutely nothing from their 2002 annihilation, and are planning on using the exact same strategy [of using hate and vulgarity] again this time ... and they will get the same results. Enjoy your whistles, asses! The results you get from them are really going to blow!

posted by Timesink

The descendants, no doubt, of the turn of the century Communists and Anarchists that Europe expunged like a fat turd only to wash up on these shores in Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas.

posted by L`enn

Chalk me up as one who got a chuckle out of the "whistle-ass" moniker. This woman sounds like she was a decent, honest, hard-working Blue Collar American. Not necessarily a liberal 'Rat like so many are quick to assume.

posted by Willie Green

Nope, she's just another ignorant (no insult intended) "Roosevelt Democrat" who never woke up and realized that the party started to go downhill with the emergence of McGovern and his uber-liberal ilk. You know these folks... the ones who say "the Democrats are for the 'little guy', the Republicans are for the rich fatcats" and all that other populist Barbra Streisand that's been drilled into them since the '30s.

posted by schlitzsmoke
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:56 pm
Sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:01 pm
well ... <shrugs> you know. what can you do.

lets drink one to sally, instead!

may tradition live on,
stridently.

cheers.

<raises imaginary glass of beer to a woman who knew what she thought>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:03 pm
Cheers.

Trying to remember that there are hateful, petty people at absolutely any point on the political spectrum...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:25 pm
At another forum(a newspaper's site) similar comments to what you posted from free-republic showed up when Rachel Corrie was killed.
"She was sort of hot...wish I could have f---ed her before she died."
"Where will they bury the stupid b---h so I can pee on her grave," etc...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:33 am
Who was Rachel Corrie?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:35 am
The girl in the orange vest who was run over by an Israeli tank.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:32 am
Now that's what I call getting the last word! Bravo for her children!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:15 am
sozobe wrote:
The girl in the orange vest who was run over by an Israeli tank.

Right idea, wrong vehicle. IT was a bulldozer that was demolishing Palestinian houses so that "terrorists" couldn't live in them. Sad
Rachel Corrie Memorial Site
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:32 pm

That site doesnt seem to be there.

Found another story tho: Making of a martyr.

Sad to read how even her memorial service was broken up by IDF fire:

Quote:
There was a storm in Rafah last Wednesday. At 2.30pm it began to rain. Water bonded with the sand and fell as droplets of mud on the mourners who had gathered to commemorate Corrie at the spot where she was fatally injured. The desolate sandy stretch is now strewn with the rubble from the demolition of houses which she could not prevent. It faces towards the Egyptian border where Israeli troops are on patrol.

As the memorial service got under way, the Israeli army sent its own representative. A tank pulled up beside the mourners and sprayed them with tear gas. A bizarre game of cat-and-mouse began as the peace activists chased the tank around to throw flowers on it, and the Israeli soldiers inside threatened, in return, to run them down.

The game ended when the Israeli bulldozers came out, accompanied by more APCs, firing guns and percussion bombs. The insult was as clear as the danger of the situation and the people went home, the service halted.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:34 pm
Just clicked on the link and it worked for me.
Try cutting and pasting
www.rachelcorrie.org
and see if that works for you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 02:13 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Just clicked on the link and it worked for me.
Try cutting and pasting
www.rachelcorrie.org
and see if that works for you.

that one works <nods>.
0 Replies