The Decline of Oprah Winfrey

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:57 am
I am not surprised that Oprah is the new Donahue, but I am that Ellen is the new Oprah. I have not seen Ellen in years but I always found her to be annoying. What is her appeal, is she now fluff that goes down easy?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:03 am
I feel so warm and fuzzy.

A thread where absolutely EVERYONE agrees!

The cosmos is aligned.

Everyone hold hands now and sing...

C'mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now,
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:11 am
Chai wrote:
I feel so warm and fuzzy.

A thread where absolutely EVERYONE agrees!

The cosmos is aligned.

Everyone hold hands now and sing...

C'mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now,

I have complete confidence that someone will be along shorty to accuse us of being racists.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:16 am
what a buzz kill. Rolling Eyes

what about ellen? Nobody likes her either.

ohhhh....racist and homophobic.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:33 am
Chai wrote:

I love Ellen (though I don't watch her show,I have seen clips and she is great!) And I understand that she has a highly rated show reminds me of the YogiBerrism:

Speaking of a popular restaurant, "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Why was this moved to TV, this thread is not about TV.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:36 am
How about racist, homophobic AND sexist? (I'm talking about ME- if someone wanted to apply those labels to someone based on which talk show host they prefer... because I love the straight, white guy (Phil Donahue).

Quote:
I am not surprised that Oprah is the new Donahue, but I am that Ellen is the new Oprah. I have not seen Ellen in years but I always found her to be annoying. What is her appeal, is she now fluff that goes down easy?

Oprah's show (I can't speak for Oprah herself because all I know is what she shows publicly) has NEVER approached Phil Donahue's in terms of providing any sort of intellectual stimulation and/or food for thought.

I don't even know when the last time was that I watched him - when did he go off the air? But even as a kid watching that show, I could see he had an open mind and a passion for presenting an issue from every angle.

I can unashamedly say - I LOVE PHIL DONAHUE- and always have.

Oprah and Ellen and Montel and Maury and Jerry and whoever else don't even begin to approach what he provided in terms of social, political and cultural education- he was the pioneer.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:56 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Chai wrote:

I love Ellen (though I don't watch her show,I have seen clips and she is great!) And I understand that she has a highly rated show reminds me of the YogiBerrism:

Speaking of a popular restaurant, "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Why was this moved to TV, this thread is not about TV.

TV personalities, TV shows... guess that's why.

I liked Gzowski. He did better on radio, though, and he was on too late for me most of the time.

Now, what's the name of that other guy - geez, can't remember anything these days. He had a show and I think it was named after him - he was smallish with a receding hairline (lightish hair), intelligent, urbane, witty, and topical. God, I'm going to be banging my head until I remember. Cdn show, I think.

Hamburger - help!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:56 am
African shcool and Oprah's other controversies
I found this out about that African school issue Oprah's other controversies:

"In early 2007, Winfrey was criticized for building a $40 million school complex for girls in South Africa. The school will have an initial enrollment of 152 but will gradually accommodate 450, and features such amenities as a beauty salon and yoga studio. It has been argued that the money would be better utilized to educate a larger number of children in either North America or South Africa; however, Winfrey insists that beautiful surroundings will inspire greatness in the future leaders of Africa.

Recently, Winfrey has been accused by magician and skeptic James Randi of being deliberately deceptive and uncritical in how she handles paranormal claims on her show.

In 2007, Winfrey began to endorse the controversial self-help program The Secret. The Secret claims that people can change their lives through positive thoughts, which will then cause vibrations that result in good things happening to them. Critics argue that this idea is pseudoscience and psychologically damaging, as it trivializes important decisions and promotes a quick-fix material culture, and suggest Winfrey's promotion of it is irresponsible given her influence."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:01 am
Quote:
She only wanted to give underprivileged African girls a chance at a better life. But a tearful Oprah Winfrey begged for forgiveness from students' parents at her all-girls academy, currently reeling from allegations of abuse.

"I've disappointed you. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry," the talk-show queen told families in an emergency meeting last week at the South African school in Henley-on-Klip, south of Johannesburg, the South African news site News24.com reported.

Oprah had canceled all appointments and flew to South Africa twice in the past month after allegations of abuse.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20155440,00.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:16 am
Mame wrote:
Now, what's the name of that other guy - geez, can't remember anything these days. He had a show and I think it was named after him - he was smallish with a receding hairline (lightish hair), intelligent, urbane, witty, and topical. God, I'm going to be banging my head until I remember. Cdn show, I think.

Hamburger - help!

Chai to the rescue....

http://www.newsfromme.com/images8/cavett1.jpg

Now THERE was a talk show host!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:18 am
heh....just had a memory.

I was, maybe 10?

Talking to my grandmother, she's telling me a story.

I started asking her questions, drawing her out, really interested.

I thought to myself "Hey! I'm just like Dick Cavett!"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:23 am
Setanta wrote:
Mame wrote:
And anyway, who cares?

Allow me to emphasize the only sensible post in this thread.
The popularity of Oprah Winfrey is important in the sense that it's a testament to the mindset of many in America.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:48 am
Chumly wrote:

The popularity of Oprah Winfrey is important in the sense that it's a testament to the mindset of many in America.

Exactly, these daytime talk shows satisfy hungers of the masses. You know what people are hungry for by looking to see what they eat. Those who don't know thus say a lot about themselves.
0 Replies