Hot Pot dining – have you tried it?

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:21 am
There seems to be this new sort of dining. It's like an Asian fondue with the flavors. You choose the meat, seafood, and vegetables you want and broth. A server brings you the ingredients; the soup goes on an electric burner or other heat source. You can sit at a table and cook in the pots.

Has anyone tried this? I only know one person who has and they say they love it. I'm kind of torn - when I go to eat, I would prefer someone to cook for me. Although I could see the fun social part in a sense. But what if you mess up and don't cook it right - its not like you can send it back?

What do you think - think you would like it? Have you tried it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,274 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:29 am
Sure, I love it. There used to be a place or places in California named "mongolian hot pot". I probably ate at one of those once, and don't remember my opinion. I do remember liking using a hot pot in a Korean restaurant in LA, very good... and fun.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:34 am
Chinese steamboats /hot pots/ Chinese fondues are offered in many Chinese restaurants since years - mostly part of the evening buffet.

It varies a lot - depending on what Chnises region/traditon the restaurant is mainly orientated.

Wikipedia has a report about it.

We've a Mongolian restaurant here, where the hot pot is quite different to the one at the local Chinese in the village - I like both equally ... sometimes, for a change.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
i highly recommend a "dutch treat" : hutspot met klapstuk .

http://www.democrazy.nl/culuit/images/pagemaster/Stampotklein.jpg

it's always served on "dutch night" on the holland-america line ships -
together with such delicacies as : matjes (salted herring) , smoked eel ...
- we'll be enjoying it on a short cruise around the maritimes and new england in late may again .

Quote:
Hutspot met Klapstuk (Hot Pot with Boiled Meat)

4 cups (1 L) water
2 tsp (10 ml) salt
2 lbs (1 kg) fresh brisket of beef
2 lbs (1 kg) medium-sized carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) dice
3 lbs (1.5 kg) boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
3 cups (750 ml) coarsely chopped onions
Freshly ground pepper to taste

followed by generous serving of GENEVER :wink:

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/nieminen/pics/bols_vo_genever_750_pottery.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
One of the advantages, to me, is that I'm one of the people who likes her food really hot, whether it's pasta coming to the table - no dawdling!! - or some meat on my dinner plate. With hot pot cooking, every bit is the temperature I like it.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 06:09 pm
Hot pot meals are fun. And you cook the food bite by bite (small pieces, at least) so if you "cook it wrong", just stab another piece and try again! And it's not like you have to chop anything or do any walking or carrying or lifting...

Mongolian barbecues are another kettle of fish. At the ones I've seen, you pick meat (beef, pork, lamb, shrimp) and veggies from a "salad bar" arrangement. You put your choices in a bowl and give it to a cook, who tosses it onto a grill that looks like a kettledrum. Several cooks work at one time, on different diners' meals. They use babmoo implements to toss and mix the ingredients. When everything's cooked, they pile it back into the bowl and give it to you.

Then you go and pick a sauce, stock, condiments, to finish off your dish the way you want it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 06:20 pm
I have a faint memory of not liking them, something to do with the cheapness, and perhaps a kind of phoniness, but that's a little unfair for me to say all this time later. I do remember liking the real korean place.
0 Replies