McCain's Brain, Unfit for Command?

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:09 pm
McCain's Brain, Unfit for Command?

http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2008/03/john_mccain.thumbnail.jpg

By: Kirk James Murphy, M.D. Tuesday March 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Just about every day brings another MSM newsbite about Senator McCain's latest bizarre and idiosyncratic departure from reality. Sadly for the Senator - and more sadly for America - the presumptive GOP nominee for Commander-in-Chief suffers from brain impairment so severe that his military peers publicly warn us he is unfit for command.

When so many struggle with basic literacy, much less biomedical literacy, I've give up expecting our incurious, superficial MSM to see the pattern, much less report on it. The pattern's quite obvious - as Howie Klein pointed out yesterday: in the UK's Financial Times, Professor Anatol Lieven was quite clear in describing McCain's obvious impairment:

...Mr McCain's policies would not be so worrying were it not for his notorious quickness to fury in the face of perceived insults to himself or his country. Even Thad Cochran, a fellow Republican senator, has said: "I certainly know no other president since I've been here who's had a temperament like that."

OK - so what does some ivory tower type like Cambridge Professor Lieven know? He must be a pacifist peace-nik, right? Uh - not so much. He was "editor of Strategic Comments, published by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) in London. There he also specialized in the former Soviet Union and in aspects of contemporary warfare." Hmm. Not exactly a job for flower children.

When Mark Benjamin researched his piece on McCain's temperament earlier this month, he wasn't asking flower children, either.

In interviews with Salon this week, several experienced military officers said McCain draws mixed reviews among military leaders, and they expressed serious doubts about whether McCain has the right temperament to be the next president and commander in chief. Some expressed more confidence in Obama, citing his temperament as an asset.

It is not difficult in Washington to find high-level military officials who have had close encounters with John McCain's temper, and who find it worrisome .....the concern is that McCain has, at times, come across as out of control. It is difficult to find current or former officers willing to describe those encounters in detail on the record. That's because, by and large, those officers admire McCain. But that doesn't mean they want his finger on the proverbial button, and they are supporting Clinton or Obama instead.

I've never served, so how can I know what constitutes fitness for Commander-in-Chief? But these senior officers sure think they know - and they know McCain's Brain is not fit to serve:

"I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, who was in charge of training the Iraqi military from 2003 to 2004 and is now campaigning for Clinton. "I think it is a little scary. I think this guy's first reactions are not necessarily the best reactions. I believe that he acts on impulse."

Well, if McCain's Brain is "a little scary" for a Major General, what level of terror ought it provoke in those whose jobs don't include "people trying to kill me with guns and bombs and missiles"?

Hey, how does McCain's Brain look to senior officers from the service in charge of blowing up the world - the Air Force?

"I studied leadership for a long time during 32 years in the military," said retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration, a one-time Republican who is supporting Obama. "It is all about character. Who can motivate willing followers? Who has the vision? Who can inspire people?" Gration asked. "I have tremendous respect for John McCain, but I would not follow him."

Well, at least McCain's Brain doesn't scare him - but he also finds McCain lacking in capacity to command. Not so good in a prospective C-in-C.

Maybe Professor Lieven and I have it all wrong - what we see as instability is just the Right Stuff to be a fighter pilot. Sadly, no:

"One of the things the senior military would like to see when they go visit the president is a kind of consistency, a kind of reliability," explained retired Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican, former chief of staff of the Air Force and former fighter pilot who flew 285 combat missions. McPeak said his perception is that Obama is "not that up when he is up and not that down when he is down. He is kind of a steady Eddie. This is a very important feature," McPeak said. On the other hand, he said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile." McPeak is campaigning for Obama.

Hey - maybe we civvies and the flyboys just don't understand Naval culture. Maybe what seems like brain dysfunction to me is part of the fierce independence prized in command level officer in the Navy.

Uh, no:

Retired Rear Adm. John Hutson, who has been a Republican his entire adult life, but who now supports Obama, put it this way about facing a national security crisis: "When everybody else goes nuts, the president of the United States needs to get cooler and cooler."

Remember, these are just the senior officers who spoke on the record.

Why bother to look at this? Am I just taking an elderly man who served his country for decades and dragging his reputation through the mud? Don't we all know men who - as they have aged - have grown more irascible over time? Who would want to hear their father's - or their grandfather's - temperament and brain function dissected before the nation?

Unless Jenna and not-Jenna have dropped some kids they're hiding, no American has a grandfather who can launch nuclear weapons. Senator McCain doesn't deserve criticism for his advanced age or his brain dysfunction. Anyone with brain dysfunction so severe as to compromise their behavior deserves our pity. Yet Senator McCain has fought his way before us for an election, which is merely an elaborate job interview - he doesn't deserve the job just because he wants it. The power of the Office of the President includes the power to lay waste to our planet in a matter of minutes - and Senator McCain's military peers think he's unfit for command.

As every parent knows, none of us are born with the complement of neurons we need for self control. Over the first two decades of life, we slowly develop the neuronal systems that allow us to decide whether we will - or won't - take action when we're enraged or frustrated. This built-in emotional dampening allows us to pause and consciously decide what actions to take.

The fancy psychiatric term for the symptom of "emotions swinging out of control" is "labile". The underlying cause of "labile" is an impairment of CNS function (insufficient inhibitory activity in the CNS). Insufficient CNS inhibitory function is normative in females until sometime in adolescence, and males up until their mid 20's (ever wonder why medieval history is so entertaining?). However, even military fighter pilots find McCain is too dysinhibited for prime time.

After we hit our mid 20's we start a slow downhill slide in neuronal function. Like other hills, the farther up the neuron slope we start, the farther we have to coast. Alcohol, head injury (even one), severe stress (including PTSD), toxins (including some forms of chemo) and ionizing radiation (like that used for some cancer radiotherapies) accelerate the trip. If we're lucky, we cross the finish line of the slide - death - with sufficient neuronal function to keep us and those around us happy and safe, and to be able to know that.

Sadly for him, Senator McCain has a documented history of conditions known to cause CNS injury (repeated blows to the head in boxing/ heavy alcohol use/ torture /severe stress from imprisonment) as well as possible exposure to chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

Loss of neuronal function affects not only self-control, but also comprehension.

Impaired CNS inhibitory function greatly diminishes comprehension of even mildly complex situations. Thinking about complex stuff requires not only sustained attention (compromised in diminished inhibitory function), but also the capacity to tolerate the frustration inherent in confronting discordant possibilities (also compromised in diminished inhibitory function).

For these reasons, McCain's repeated bizarre mangling of basic information - together with his documented history of severely impaired impulse control - suggest that McCain's neuronal function impairs his capacity to comprehend complex realities. With advanced age, cognitive dysfunction as severe as Senator McCain evinces tends to grow worse with each passing year - as does the severity of the emotional lability which so troubles senior military officers.

Sadly for Senator John McCain, he's exhibited labile mood for decades - and advancing age tends to accelerate neuronal death, further compromise inhibitory cerebral function, and hence lead to more severe emotional dysfunction.

In the Oval Office, progressively worsening intellectual comprehension and emotional dysfunction would not merely be sad - but catastrophic.

A planet's a terrible thing to waste - especially when we only have one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 19
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:36 pm
I'm sure Mr. McCain will make a fine president ... far better than Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama could ever hope to be.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:40 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
I'm sure Mr. McCain will make a fine president ... far better than Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama could ever hope to be.

Luckily, there is a near zero chance of that happening.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:04 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Luckily, there is a near zero chance of that happening.

Do you honestly think the Dems can get their petty **** together before the party self destructs ??

There is a near zero chance of that happening.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:05 pm
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
Bet the farm on McCain then, fool.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 06:33 am
Are you foolish enough to be betting the farm on this wench ??

http://www.uncorrelated.com/hillary_old.jpg
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:10 am
http://www.obama-mamas.com/blog/wp-content/themes/nycreds-30/images/Barack-Obama-Flag-Small.gif
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:22 am
Is this what you are thinking about every time you see BO?
http://www.blackstarvideo.com/img/mandingo.jpg
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:56 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

Do you honestly think the Dems can get their petty **** together before the party self destructs ??

The Democratic Party is not self destructing; it's merely purging itself of the nasty Clinton Virus. It's a cleansing process... long overdue.

John McCain, on the other hand, has been slipping in the polls lately-- not because of outside attacks, but because he repeatedly displays his incompetence by constantly shooting himself in the foot! By the time Obama emerges as the Democratic nominee there may be nothing left of McCain at all. Self-destruction, indeed!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:17 am
echi wrote:

John McCain, on the other hand, has been slipping in the polls lately--

McCain's poll numbers are on the rise - recent polling indicates he would beat either Dem in the national election.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:27 am
echi wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

The Democratic Party is not self destructing; it's merely purging itself of the nasty Clinton Virus. It's a cleansing process... long overdue.

John McCain, on the other hand, has been slipping in the polls lately-- not because of outside attacks, but because he repeatedly displays his incompetence by constantly shooting himself in the foot! By the time Obama emerges as the Democratic nominee there may be nothing left of McCain at all. Self-destruction, indeed!

Thank God! I was a confirmed Clintonista. I worshipped Bill. And loved Hillary. But I have had it with the Clintons.

I would still vote for Hillary but if she gets the nomination by utilizing the Tonya Harding option even Insane McCain might beat her.The way it looks now is that, worst case scenario, the SDs step in after the primaries and name Obama the nominee and we will be on our way to a Democratic Landslide of epic proportions.

When the MSM no longer has this Clinton-Obama dustup to yap about 24/7, they will start looking at McCain and the crazy, old fooll will never hold up to that kind of scrutiny. The swift-boating of Obama will sway some voters but the backlash against it and the HUGE Dem turnout will overwhelm that tactic. I do see a landslide coming if everything breaks the way I think it will. (The war, economy etc) On one side, we will see Jeremiah Wright on 527s. On the other side, there is so much to counter McCain with, on the war and on his admission that he "knows nothing about the economy." BTW his virtually ignored speech on the economy PROVES he knows nothing.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
echi wrote:

John McCain, on the other hand, has been slipping in the polls lately--

McCain's poll numbers are on the rise - recent polling indicates he would beat either Dem in the national election.

LOL anyone with any political savvy knows that these polls are meaningless until the Dem nominee is settled. Citing those polls is MENTAL MASTURBATION. Hope you are enjoying it though. You are in for a rude awakening come the summer and the fall.

BTW the most recent polls show a virtual tie.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:37 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

I was a confirmed Clintonista. I worshipped Bill. And loved Hillary.

Nuff said !!

Your brain has been unfit for rational thought for many years - I get it now.

Good luck to you :wink:
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:43 am
I must say I truly understand why the right hates the Clintons. They adopted the win at all costs/ end justifies the means right-wing philosophy and beat them at their own game.

In Obama, they finally met their match.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 09:59 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

In Obama, they finally met their match.

Yes, the Clinton's don't know exactly what to do with Obama.

It sure is fun to watch them go at each other though, all they need is a dwarf and it would be better than Jerry Springer Laughing
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:26 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
http://www.obama-mamas.com/blog/wp-content/themes/nycreds-30/images/Barack-Obama-Flag-Small.gif

He looks quite young in this photo. Was it taken at his Bar Mitzvah? (Just kidding; I know he isn't Jewish; truthfully, I'm not sure where his personal feelings are relating to religion; his religious experience has supposedly been so eclectic.)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:05 pm
If a playwright is FUNNY,
the English look for a serious messsage,
and if he is serious, they look for the joke"--- Sacha Guitry

We are not here to make jokes or make ourselves as funny potatochips.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 06:41 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Is this what you are thinking about every time you see BO?

God, that has got to be one of the most ignorant comments I've had the misfortune to come across here on A2K. What a sick individual!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:19 pm
10 things you should know about John McCain (but probably don't):

1. John McCain voted against establishing a national holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Now he says his position has "evolved," yet he's continued to oppose key civil rights laws.1
2. According to Bloomberg News, McCain is more hawkish than Bush on Iraq, Russia and China. Conservative columnist Pat Buchanan says McCain "will make Cheney look like Gandhi."2
3. His reputation is built on his opposition to torture, but McCain voted against a bill to ban waterboarding, and then applauded President Bush for vetoing that ban.3

4. McCain opposes a woman's right to choose. He said, "I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned."4

5. The Children's Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children. He voted against the children's health care bill last year, then defended Bush's veto of the bill.5

6. He's one of the richest people in a Senate filled with millionaires. The Associated Press reports he and his wife own at least eight homes! Yet McCain says the solution to the housing crisis is for people facing foreclosure to get a "second job" and skip their vacations.6

7. Many of McCain's fellow Republican senators say he's too reckless to be commander in chief. One Republican senator said: "The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He's erratic. He's hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."7

8. McCain talks a lot about taking on special interests, but his campaign manager and top advisers are actually lobbyists. The government watchdog group Public Citizen says McCain has 59 lobbyists raising money for his campaign, more than any of the other presidential candidates.8
9. McCain has sought closer ties to the extreme religious right in recent years. The pastor McCain calls his "spiritual guide," Rod Parsley, believes America's founding mission is to destroy Islam, which he calls a "false religion." McCain sought the political support of right-wing preacher John Hagee, who believes Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for gay rights and called the Catholic Church "the Antichrist" and a "false cult."9

10. He positions himself as pro-environment, but he scored a 0-yes, zero-from the League of Conservation Voters last year.10

Sources:
1. "The Complicated History of John McCain and MLK Day," ABC News, April 3, 2008
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/the-complicated.html
"McCain Facts," ColorOfChange.org, April 4, 2008
http://colorofchange.org/mccain_facts/

2. "McCain More Hawkish Than Bush on Russia, China, Iraq," Bloomberg News, March 12, 2008
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aF28rSCtk0ZM&refer=us

"Buchanan: John McCain 'Will Make Cheney Look Like Gandhi,'" ThinkProgress, February 6, 2008
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/06/buchanan-gandhi-mccain/
3. "McCain Sides With Bush On Torture Again, Supports Veto Of Anti-Waterboarding Bill," ThinkProgress, February 20, 2008
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/20/mccain-torture-veto/
4. "McCain says Roe v. Wade should be overturned," MSNBC, February 18, 2007
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17222147/
5. "2007 Children's Defense Fund Action CouncilĀ® Nonpartisan Congressional Scorecard," February 2008
http://www.childrensdefense.org/site/PageServer?pagename=act_learn_scorecard2007

"McCain: Bush right to veto kids health insurance expansion," CNN, October 3, 2007
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/03/mccain.interview/
6. "Beer Executive Could Be Next First Lady," Associated Press, April 3, 2008
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h-S1sWHm0tchtdMP5LcLywg5ZtMgD8VQ86M80
"McCain Says Bank Bailout Should End `Systemic Risk,'" Bloomberg News, March 25, 2008
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aHMiDVYaXZFM&refer=home

7. "Will McCain's Temper Be a Liability?," Associated Press, February 16, 2008
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=4301022

"Famed McCain temper is tamed," Boston Globe, January 27, 2008
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/27/famed_mccain_temper_is_tamed/

8. "Black Claims McCain's Campaign Is Above Lobbyist Influence: 'I Don't Know What The Criticism Is,'" ThinkProgress, April 2, 2008
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/02/mccain-black-lobbyist/

"McCain's Lobbyist Friends Rally 'Round Their Man," ABC News, January 29, 2008
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4210251

9. "McCain's Spiritual Guide: Destroy Islam," Mother Jones Magazine, March 12, 2008
http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2008/03/john-mccain-rod-parsley-spiritual-guide.html

"Will McCain Specifically 'Repudiate' Hagee's Anti-Gay Comments?," ThinkProgress, March 12, 2008
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/12/mccain-hagee-anti-gay/
"McCain 'Very Honored' By Support Of Pastor Preaching 'End-Time Confrontation With Iran,'" ThinkProgress, February 28, 2008
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/28/hagee-mccain-endorsement/

10. "John McCain Gets a Zero Rating for His Environmental Record," Sierra Club, February 28, 2008
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/environment/77913/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies