Brine line draws but doesn't refill water

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:31 am
Rolling Eyes I think Garry Slusser is stuck on stupid because he has no clue where he is.

Able2Know.com is not a do it yourself forum - never has been.

Garry, ECOwater delivers tier 1, top of the line equipment, installation and service
that you can't compete with - this fact makes you feel small and insignificant.
Namor

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:59 pm
Guys, I took the Silver Series apart except for the resin tank. Regeneration is working fine. Both cams for the piston and brine valve are ok. The brine valve assembly rubber stopper is worn off and the stem had lime on it. I found a replacement at softenerparts.com. Both Fleck 5000 and 5600 brine valves are identical. So I am going to get one. Now the hardest part is where can I get replacement parts for the 2 injectors? Softenerparts only have parts for the Fleck 5600, but the injectors are totally different from the 5000. I fear the buck stops here.

Can anyone who is familiar with the Rainsoft gold/silver series tell me where the water flows in the injector housing during brine draw and refill? I know on the injector housing cap side the nozzle/throat injector is above the screen filter and the plug injector is below it. Water comes out of the screen but both injectors (nozzle/throat & plug) are shut so where does the water go from there? To add to the mystery, what the heck is the role of that tiny plastic ball which I found when I pulled out the plug injector? I could also see it(ball) inside the brine valve well when I pulled the valve out. I went over the ProFloSE schematic drawing and parts list since it is very similar to the 5000 but the plastic ball is not shown and listed. Please educate me.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 12:05 pm
Search the 'net for the "Fleck ProFlo" with the"" and find someone selling it or the 5000 and call them to ask about the white ball and such.

The holes in the injector and throat can be quite small. You should be able to clean the injector, throat and screen instead of replacing them. Use a needle or straightened paper clip etc.. Run water or cpmpressed air from a can for your computer or an air compressor to blow out the control valve passagways. Run water through the injector etc. and put them back where they were without over tightening them. Put hte ball back where you found it in the control, if not there tehn save it. Where did you find it?

Leave the brine line off the brine tank after pressurizing the resin tank and push the stem of the brine valve down, you may get water or not. Put the valve in the brine Refill position and do it again, you should get water out the brine valve body or brine line and if not you have a blockage somewhere and I haven 't any more clues. Find a manual for the ProFlo (or 5000) and you'll see the water flow through the valve in all positions.

www.fleckcontrols.com.
0 Replies

Namor

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 03:04 pm
Gary, problem solved!

I can't believe how stupid I am to not notice the tiny hole of the nozzle (facing the throat) when I first cleaned it a few days ago. Phooey!

The calcium blockage was about 1.5mm deep and I was able to push it out the other way using one end of a paper clip. The thing got trapped inside the vortex end of the nozzle -- was able to remove the vortex cap and cleaned it thoroughly. I put the injector back in the Fleck 5000 body and dropped the mysterious ball back in. Screwed the injector cap back on. Positioned the piston at the "refill" mark just a few mm above "service" (per your instruction). Opened both the bypass valves and the nearest service faucet to the unit. Turned on the main water valve to 1/4 until air was totally purged from the system then turned the knob to full. Disconnected the brine valve end of the brine line and pushed down on the brine valve. Voila! My softener suddenly turned into a pressure washer!!!!

Thank you so much for helping me out on this one, Gary. You saved me the cost of buying a new softener. And thanks to you all who have responded to my thread. Very Happy
Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:44 am
A real DUH! moment huh... lol Don't feel bad, that's the best way to learn and you'll never do 'that' again. Actually, the recall factor is equal to the DUH! factor.

You're welcome and I'm glad to be able to help you save big bucks, but more so to help you to help yourself. Enjoy.
0 Replies

rsmith5797

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 04:13 pm
@Namor,
I have followed some of your same steps as well. My unit is older and installed in 2005. I had service from the installer until their rates went through the roof, $125 for show up an $45 for every 1/2 hour on site, plus parts. This is not what I purchased in the beginning and would like to know where I can find part and repair myself. I am a lot smarter than than the itiots that installed since I have had to reset the power cable, planting the cable one foot deep rather than the 2 inches their effort completed and I leveled the units intalled.

Please help!
Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:04 pm
@rsmith5797,
Well at least you didn't ask for help just from h20man, but specifically, what is your softener doing that it shouldn't or not doing that it should?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:39 am
@Namor,
So the problem was in the brine tank?

I'm glad we were able to help you find a solution to your problem.

rsmith5797 wrote:

I have followed some of your same steps as well. My unit is older and installed in 2005.
I had service from the installer until their rates went through the roof, $125 for show up an $45 for every 1/2 hour on site, plus parts.

Please help!

What control valve does your system use?
Black plastic? Brass? Digital controls?
Gary Slusser

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:27 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

So the problem was in the brine tank?

No the problem was not the brine tank.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:44 pm
Sounds like the brine injector was fouled by low quality salt... what are you using for brine?
0 Replies

Konst

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 02:35 pm
@H2O MAN,
Dear H2O MAN!!!
I have problem with the quality of water each 2 days after regeneration time. In present moment setted Regen Days is 5. Is this normal in my situation?
If i change Regen Day from 5 to each day can this worse work of valve?
PLS send your reply on my mail [email protected]
Thanks
0 Replies

Finteot

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 07:17 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Right on, Gary. I'm in a similar spot as the original poster and I'm fed up with being told to call somebody! Just give me a schematic, some advice, and some decent parts for which the Mfr is not purposefully hiding the information! Since when did it become all the rage to tell people they really can't handle anything themselves?
0 Replies

Finteot

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 07:27 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN-

Have you read the "about us" for able2know? Sounds like DIY to me. Here it is:

About able2know

able2know's mission is to help connect people, knowledge and resources.

able2know is committed to providing these services free of charge. We believe the costs of developing and providing these services should be defrayed primarily with ethical advertising -- that is, an avoidance of pop-ups, spam, or other unreasonably obtrusive forms of advertising.

We seek to maximize the opportunities for people with similar interests and goals to connect, gather information, and network through the able2know service.

0 Replies