The O.C. Serious Drama or Nightime Soap Opera?

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 04:48 pm
I'm trying to follow the series to see where it goes considering it is about my home county of Orange -- I don't know if the initials stand for Orange County or Orange Coast, two rather seperate worlds. You run into some down-to-Earth beach personalities on one end and the plastic WASP's on the other extreme. This seems to be the about the clashing of the two worlds. I'm not sure their script writers are up to the task but Peter Gallagher is delivering his usual studied performance and the young protagonist played by newcomer Ryan Atwood is an interesting characterization. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 4
No top replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 05:16 pm
Since I was a sucker for "90210", "Party of Five", and "My So Called Life", this seemed like a natural for my taste. So far, however, it has fallen short in my opinion. I blame it on the writers. Oh yes, another current one in this group, "Everwood" is excellent. Here, the writing is up to the high quality of the cast.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 05:23 pm
I'm finding the writing uneven but the plot line with the friend who's been loaned the money and is accosted at the social affair was gripping. I'm not sure if they aren't going to drop the ball on this one. After watching some of the "Six Feet Under" episodes again on VOD, the writing is so far superior that it has established a bench mark for episodic TV series drama. Not to mention, "The Sopranos," "Queer As Folk," "The Wire," and on and on. They aren't going to lure people back from cable unless they've got something to say.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 05:41 pm
I agree with you on the aforementioned HBO and Showtime shows with the exception of "The Wire". I fear that one is written for one with a more nimble mind than mine. I go nuts trying to keep the characters straight, especially the jailed and unjailed street dealers. It was hard enough in the first series, but when they combined it with the dock corruption, I really became lost. Will the chief ever get his comeuppance?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 01:51 pm
The young women at work are already taping O.C., and having lengthy lunch-time discussions about what the characters are going to do next. It seems to have caught on with part of it's target market.
0 Replies