Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 714 • Replies: 16
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:15 pm
I read it but didn't see or hear it. It was a lovely speech.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
It is on youtube now, FD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe7wTVbLUU
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:04 pm
Oh thank you. I'll play it when I get home from work.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:41 pm
It's a great read. I'm interested to see it spoken.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:57 pm
Thank you for the link, butrflynet.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:58 pm
i watched it live. it was a great speech.. people are saying it could be a turning point in his campaign.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:59 pm
Major speech.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:45 pm
Jonsey wrote:
i watched it live. it was a great speech.. people are saying it could be a turning point in his campaign.

Um.....he has an uncatchable lead in delegates and a stunning rise in popularity/polls over the last 2 months....wouldn't a turning point NOW be a BAD thing?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:46 pm
A Bright, Shining Moment
Posted March 18, 2008 | 11:44 AM (EST)
by Jon Robin Baitz

Today we saw and heard a preview of our brightest possible American future in Senator Barack Obama's glorious speech. This, then, is what it means to be presidential. To be moral. To have a real center. To speak honestly, from the heart, for the benefit of all. If there was any doubt about what we have missed in the anti-intellectual, ruthlessly incurious Bush years, and even the slippery Clinton ones (the years of "what is is"), those doubts were laid to rest by Barack Obama's magisterial speech today. A speech in which he distanced himself from a flawed father figure, Reverend Wright, and did so with almost Shakespearian dignity and honor.

"This is it, it's here," I thought while watching Senator Obama lay it on the line. We are finally talking about race. Slavery, Jim Crow, economic enslavement, no FHA loans, the failure of affirmative action, busing, offended whites who match offended blacks in rage and fear. Obama shined a light on the conservative talk show hosts who fan white resentments, and at the same time, did not dismiss the reasons for the resentments. He reminded us that the dreams of black America do not come at the expense of white America.

Email
Print
Comments
Someone running for the highest office in the land finally talked about it -- the dark and secret swamp that we Americans dodge at every possible opportunity. As he finished the searing truth telling, I realized that this was not so much a speech but rather a unifying call to arms, an insistence that American people act on change. This was an order and a prayer from someone worthy of being called Commander in Chief -- an order that as a bruised and bloodied nation we finally discuss that what unites us, as well as that which divides us. So we can grow, together as a people.

Barack Obama's speech, perhaps one of the most important in modern political history pushed us as a people to move beyond race and gender, beyond Democrat and Republican, beyond politics and into reviving the spirit of the nation itself. To talk, to talk at home, at work, at the dinner table. To really finally talk. What a great day, and where else in the world but in the United States? Today I am very proud to be an American.
link
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:09 pm
Barack Obama's speech today was once of the most important speeches ever given by a politician.

His honor, courage and clear vision convinced me that this is a man who is so far above any opponent in this race for the presidency that this country has a moment in time to change course and become the best we can be.

He also brought back many childhood memories of bigoted parents and friends who were so similar to his grandmother. Instead of condeming her racial fears and ugliness, he understood her humanity and human nature. Is it politically incorrect to lock the doors when driving through a neighborhood known for violence? Of course not. He sees through the narrow world of hate and limitations of what can be talked about and what must be left unsaid.

We have a real chance here. I hope we are smart enough to take it and support the changes that will surely come.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:16 pm
maporsche wrote:
Jonsey wrote:

Um.....he has an uncatchable lead in delegates and a stunning rise in popularity/polls over the last 2 months....wouldn't a turning point NOW be a BAD thing?

jonesy was talking about the last few days. Have you looked at the daily tracking polls?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:21 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Jonsey wrote:

jonesy was talking about the last few days. Have you looked at the daily tracking polls?

Guess that decoder ring would have helped. I thought he was typing in English, not that super-secret Obama language where what someone posts or says can mean anything that someone else wants it to say or mean. OR it may not mean anything.....really the rule of the super-secret Obama language is that any meaning that makes Obama look better is the meaning that a person meant...and all facts are to be interpreted as favoring Obama, even when they don't.

Got it!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
No wonder you are so confused. You can't understand simple English.

Quote:
...people are saying it could be a turning point in his campaign.

Not hard to understand what it meant.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:29 pm
Diane, I so agree.

I remember locking my doors driving down Pacific Avenue to a friend's place in the Marina. What a tweet I was.

And I remember a quarter century of living in the area I locked my then car doors to.

I'm not saying door locking is dumb at all times. But mind locking is.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:31 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm not saying door locking is dumb all times. But mind locking is.

Well put.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:44 pm
Here you go Maporche.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box678.jpg

Good news! You also qualify for the secret message wrist watch and the invisible ink pen! Gosh, we'll never be able to keep any Obama secrets from you now!
0 Replies