Man offering job, hmmm

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:23 am
Not sure if this is where this belongs, but I'll let the admins decide...

Basically, a bloke added me on MSN. Says he owns some places in a city near me, a health place etc. It all checks out, but I'm still wary. He seems pretty genuine, as in his not perving on me or anything...

I'm stuck in a shitty job which I've been in for 8 months. My boss hates me and it's not helping my confidence because she's telling me and other people that I'm awful at my job (which I am most certainly not.. It's probs because I defend myself when she makes comments, and she doesn't like people suggesting things about the shop... but meh, who knows..) now this bloke has given me some inkling that he might be able to offer me a job at one of his companies.

I just wanted to see what other people think of this. I usually have pretty good senses if bad things are going to happen etc, and as I say this guy seems pretty genuine (I will be trying to check out his story better asap)..

Only thing is my boyfriend. I'm worried if I go for the job offer the guy is going to make some kind of advance or expect me to offer more (this is a worry, not something the guy has said)...

I'm just not really sure what to do, this could be a good opportunity work wise....but...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:45 am
Don't touch it with a barge pole.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:58 am
I don't see any reason not to talk with him. I would keep the meetings at his place of business, of course. You know, make sure he has a place of business, and has The office. Make sure he is the owner, not some dude at the front desk or counter. Then, go with your instincts. If you even feel the need to clarify the strictly business aspect of your possible employment, it is time to leave.

Given the initial internet contact, you should satisfy yourself of the businesslike nature of the offer before filing out a multipage application full of personal information. If you can't do this, you should probably let it go.
0 Replies

CTwildheart

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:49 pm
I agree with Roger. It doesn't hurt to talk to this guy AND do some more research on your own. Definitely listen to your senses though. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Stay cautious.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 05:54 pm
What do you mean "inkling" that he has a job for you?

He does or doesn't and if you need another job, (which sounds like you do) get the details and go to one of his places.

You will know shortly if it's the kind of place you want to work.

P.S. Why do you stay at a job where you are demeaned all the time? You should be out there looking, anyway.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:30 pm
I've been talking to him. Googled his name, it all adds up. But, I guess the thing I'm worried about, is that'll he'll think I'm offering more...

Well he's said I can have the job if I want. I'm worried to go into the place just generally because he might be in there (he usually talks to me from there and lives above the place) and he'll recognise me and I'll be all like *SHY* and screw up.

He's said we could meet up and he'll just show me around the place, tell me more about what I'd be doing etc. I'm worried it'll turn into a date now. You know, I'll see it as an hour or something looking around, maybe having a chat about stuff, and he'll see it as "Oooh, she likes me, I have a chance!"

I can't drive. I am looking, I'm very limited to where I can travel to. The place where I work is the town next to me, 20 mins walk. The next is 10 minutes CAR drive, or 15 minutes CAR drive the other way...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
No, you probably shouldn't try to check out the business that way, anyway. What I was getting at was that you should be sure there is a place of business, and that he is in a position to do the hiring.

As for meeting up, and being shown around, fine. A handy meeting place would be the place of business. As far as transportation problems go, if you can get there for work every day, you can get there for an interview, which is how you should view the meeting. Once there, go with your instincts. If you get a bad feeling, leave and don't go back. Do not concern yourself with his feelings at that point.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:13 am
I know there's a place of business, I've passed it many a time, he's told me the address, the name of it and it all adds up. Online the name he's given me matches that of the owner, but how do I know for sure that's who I'm talking to, and even if it is him if he's rapist or something???

I'm planning on checking the place out as soon as possible, I've just found an amazingly cheap house on the main bus route, so it'll be easier to get in every day AND if I can get a decent job I'll actually be able to afford the house!

I suppose if it's during the day and we actually meet in the place I could be working, it'll all check out and it'll be fine. I need to learn some kind of kung foo so I can defend myself.. Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:18 am
Don't give out much personal information. I've heard of online job offers that are scams to get Social Security numbers.
0 Replies