Soda Bread for St. Pat's

Wy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:30 pm
Monday at work there's a St. Paddy's day potluck. I'm thinking of bringing soda bread... I found a few recipes, one with four ingredients, one with fifteen...

Do you have a favorite way? I love caraway and raisins, but "they" tell me that's not traditional... I may sneak 'em in there anyhow -- I'm only half Irish! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:48 pm
I've got lots of irish in me but I don't know from soda bread. It might be like breads in some other countries, varies by region, cities, or by families. I'll await other responses with you..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:39 pm
Well, here's a recipe from what seems an irish food site that does have raisins in it..

http://www.foodireland.com/recipes/Bakery/Irish_Soda_Bread.htm

I found a bunch with caraway and raisins, but there were from Good Housekeeping or some US source.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 04:30 am
I love traditional Irish soda bread but I've never had it - or even seen it- with raisins. For me- that's the whole point of it - it has it's own unique flavour that isn't supposed to overly sweet. I also like the dense, sort of chewy texture (that's my favorite part) and I think anything added such as raisins or carrraway seeds would detract from that.

The simplicity is what I most like about soda bread. I tried to make it once, but couldn't replicate the texture - but I was able to find a market that carried it and I'd buy a loaf every few days and just eat a slice plain or with butter.

But if you like raisins - I'd put them in. Unless someone is a real purist (like I am Laughing ) I don't think they'd mind. In fact the rest of my family doesn't really like soda bread because it is so plain - so maybe adding raisins or carraway seeds would make it more appealing to more people.
0 Replies